The sickeningly cheerful say hello, introduce yourself; now where's my cookie? topic.

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:19 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Re: The sickeningly cheerful say hello, introduce yourself; now where's my cookie? to

Welcome hiino.

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:26 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Your English is at least on-par with that of a typical native speaker, as far as spelling goes, so you oughtn't worry about that.

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:31 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Re: The sickeningly cheerful say hello, introduce yourself; now where's my cookie? to

Thank you Noxid. Does that mean I won a cookie ? :awesomeface:
(thank you Marx, too)

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Sure, why not. T-Jack's been gone for such a long time though, I don't think any of the leftovers we have are worth eating.

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:45 PM
Been here way too long...

Why is it that French people put a space between the last letter of the sentence and the punctuation mark ? I've noticed this on Transformice as well, but it never came up in French class.

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

If you were more observant fab, you would've noticed that this only happens with '!' or '?', and not with '.'. (at least in Hiino's case)

But yeah I don't know either.

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:13 PM

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
If you were more observant fab, you would've noticed that this only happens with '!' or '?', and not with '.'. (at least in Hiino's case)
I did notice that. Transformice does that as well.

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:14 PM
The Preacher

In fact, the ponctuation rules (according to the Académie Française :awesomeface:) are :
- A space after all ponctuation marks, except “ " (open quote) « (
- A space before all double ponctuation marks, such as ! ? : ;
- "..." are regarded as a simple point, so there is a space after and not before.

... And that's all, I guess.

Edit : I thought these rules applied to everybody, not only french people... My bad.

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:16 PM

So I guess my French class wasn't very good if it didn't tell me that. Also, in English, we don't call those "double punctuation marks," they're just punctuation marks. I never thought of them that way before.

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:19 PM
The Preacher

Well, that doesn't really matter anyway. Only grammar nazis like me are actually giving importance to those rules.
At least I think so.

Edit : Oh, by the way, if you know French (at least a little) (and if you care, too), you can read that : Règles de ponctuation

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:26 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
It seems like every francophone in the internet can write english better than I can write french
I am disappointed in myself and my public education system.

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM
The Preacher

But ! This is completely different. English is, like, the international language.
It's very important to us french people to master this language, since it'll be very very VERY useful in our future.

Noxid : If you want to, I can write all my posts in both english and french from now, so you can train yourself.

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:39 PM

这不是找这样的。

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:45 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Hiino said:
But ! This is completely different. English is, like, the international language.
It's very important to us french people to master this language, since it'll be very very VERY useful in our future.

Noxid : If you want to, I can write all my posts in both english and french from now, so you can train yourself.

Actually that would be pretty cool if *you* don't mind. I might possibly pick something up.
idk if it would bother other people though? >.> Maybe use a spoiler for the french part..

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:50 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Remember Hiino, in english there are no spaces between punctuation marks and the ends of sentences.

So if you ask a question it should be like: "What is your favorite color?"
And if you make an exclamatory statement it should be like: "IT IS RED!" (All upper-case optional).

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Noxid said:
Actually that would be pretty cool if *you* don't mind. I might possibly pick something up.
You live in fucking New Brunswick! If you're too lazy to go north a few miles, just go to a grocery store and read the labels. I warn you, French is not a language for lazy people. It uses more words than English.

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:01 PM
The Preacher

@Noxid : I don't mind at all, actually It would be a great honor to help.
Moreover, I usually simplify my english sentences so I could make sure not to do mistakes, but this way I'll be able to express myself more clearly.

Ca ne me dérange pas le moins du monde, en réalité ce serait pour moi un grand honneur d'aider de cette manière.
De plus, quand j'écris en anglais, je fais en sorte de simplifier mes phrases pour éviter de faire des fautes. Mais grâce à la traduction française, je serai capable de m'exprimer plus clairement.

@GIRakaCHEEZER : Okay, I will try to remember this. It's gonna be difficult, though.

D'accord, j'essaierai de m'en souvenir. Mais ce sera difficile.

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:14 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"

Welcome to the forums Hiiino :awesomeface: I`d like to learn French once, I`ve heard it`s one of the most beautiful and challenging languages. Is it true that it requires 10 years to master? I`m a language junkie and speak 6 tongues, hope once I`ll learn French too :)

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Je pense que Hiino est un mec plutôt super. Il bilingue sur les forums et ne pas peur de rien.
Don't worry, Hiino, the poor grammar is intentional. And I'm so sorry for saying "mec," but our textbooks were from the 70's.

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM
The Preacher

@trickybilly : 10 years? Well, I don't know, since it's my native language. But it's surely exaggerated.

I think Fab is a pretty cool guy. eh translaets Internet memes and doesnt afraid of anything.
By the way, "mec" is still used, don't worry about it (though it's not really supported language), but I believe the best way to translate "guy" is "type".

@trickybilly : 10 ans ? Hé bien, je n'en ai aucune idée, puisque c'est ma langue natale. Mais je doute que cette rumeur soit fondée.

*random Internet meme*
À propos, "mec" est toujours utilisé, ne t'inquiète pas pour ça (même si ce n'est pas vraiment du langage soutenu), mais je pense que le meilleur moyen de traduire "guy" est "type".