The Island (Mod Contest)

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:30 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I`m back from the dead to participate in this.

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:39 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Dunno if this is dead \: I stopped modding when i got into college, sadly I don't think i will ever start modding again. Most of my time is spent making music nowadays, I'd like to see the entries and will judge seeing as though I don't have an entry, anyways happy modding :D

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:41 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
JetHawk95 said:
Dunno if this is dead \:

Nope not dead at all; it's only just begun!

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:44 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Good to see some spirit! :D

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Was just on Noxids blog and he's making something for this, just as a referance who here's actually in progress of making something? Did this ever really kick off?

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:59 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Don't shut it down though, you've actually sparked some inspiration in me just now.

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:18 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I know exactly what I'ma do and have started it (kinda), I've just been too busy the last few months to work on anything. My exams are finished in a couple of weeks, and after that I intend to have it churned out hopefully before December.

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:02 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Oct 29, 2010 at 10:53 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I call dibs

*dibs*

Weeeeellll. I'd been a bit worried that the 2x res hack would dampen the art style, but everything looks really good. The Force-A-Nature is pretty awesome too, especially with its infinite range. Oh and I found a bug:

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

If you get the ammo expansion after getting the rock sample, the music reverts to Mischievous Robot early.

Other than that there's not much more to say without saying everything, so I'll tell you more next time I catch you on IRC.

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:35 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Oh, shoot. I can never seem to get them all :/
And, just for the record, it's not *really* infinite range, just very far (like 90 tics or so). It was infinite at one point and then I said to myself 'Well that's not very responsible of me now is it'.

Also, fun fact: I tried my best to squeeze almost every last kilobyte out to get the download to like 355kb, and you should be unable to open it with CE if I did it correctly.

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:45 PM
graters gonna grate
Sweetness!! ;)

Great job with the 2x res art, and the new weapon is awesome.

But it kinda looks bad to force the player to take damage to get up to a higher ledge >_>

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:24 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
You don't have to take damage to get anywhere.
Shoot down and hold jump key.

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:36 PM
graters gonna grate
Oooooohh, I forgot about teh recoil >_> and this is coming from the guy whose own mod consisted largely of using gun recoil ;)

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:02 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Noxid said:
You don't have to take damage to get anywhere.
Shoot down and hold jump key.

Meanwhile those of us with the "no Z+X" hardcoded keyboard block are fucked. >_<

I finished the mod.

Noxid has such a huge advantage.

Oct 29, 2010 at 6:18 PM
Creating A Legacy...
not really just cus its 2x doesnt mean Im gunna judge him any different, the point was to be creative about the area. Just cus its got fancy graphics dont mean itll boost his points loaads, a little yeah, but if you got some nice 1xres graphics then its just the same

Oct 29, 2010 at 6:42 PM
Pirate Member
Noxid said:
and you should be unable to open it with CE if I did it correctly.

Hehehe you sure are sneaky...

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:09 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Noxid said:
I finished my contribution.

Fair warning: It's short. It takes me way too long to make these because I try too hard.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ta9qqhd3sly7yr0

Great minimod. Using the shotgun was the most fun part. The man's facepic was good too. By the way, Debug Save is still there on the top menu, so you could do some save-state abuse if you wanted to.

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:14 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
carrotlord said:
By the way, Debug Save is still there on the top menu, so you could do some save-state abuse if you wanted to.

Save-state abuse is kind of an incorrect use of terminology there, carrotlord. Since all it does is make a save, which will reload the map when that save is loaded (unlike emulator save-states, which saves all the RAM that the game is using then and reloads it, like a saveable "Pause" button). This may not seem like much of a difference, but if a map reloads and certain flags are set/unset, well you could screw yourself over by saving in a bad spot, making the game unbeatable.

Also it was pretty fun, at least as far as I got on the earlier version I had. I'm going to go download this one now and try to finish it.

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:18 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Save-state abuse is kind of an incorrect use of terminology there, carrotlord. Since all it does is make a save, which will reload the map when that save is loaded (unlike emulator save-states, which saves all the RAM that the game is using then and reloads it, like a saveable "Pause" button). This may not seem like much of a difference, but if a map reloads and certain flags are set/unset, well you could screw yourself over by saving in a bad spot, making the game unbeatable.

Also it was pretty fun, at least as far as I got on the earlier version I had. I'm going to go download this one now and try to finish it.

Sorry. I guess I meant pseudo-save-state abuse, referring only to the fact that you can save without an in-game savepoint, not the storing RAM kind.

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:52 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
A note to Noxid: Your mod comes with a profile.dat zipped inside, which is saved at the very end of the mod.