The Grand Semi-official Soaprun Re-opening

Jul 25, 2024 at 7:02 AM
World's #1 Laharl Kinnie
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Pronouns: She/It
I think it's a fun idea on paper... but man I don't think I could ever be assed to try doing that lmao.

Did Pixel hear people complaining about Cave Story's best ending and said "nah I can do worse" or something?
I appreciate how experimental it is but I guess it makes sense for a "thing you throw on your website for random strangers to figure out by fucking around"
Though ngl I wouldn't be surprised if he just threw this together as a college assignment, this feels like your typical thing you'd need to do to get one of those really fancy college degrees. Maybe he's really just been pursuing education for a really fucking long time?
Just a shot on the dark.

Jul 25, 2024 at 7:35 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Pronouns: he/him
7/24/2024 11:30 PM PDT, both servers are now closed, undergoing testing. Please wait until "maintenance" is finished.
Brayconn made an update and is updating the server(s) right now.

I think it's a fun idea on paper... but man I don't think I could ever be assed to try doing that lmao.
Did Pixel hear people complaining about Cave Story's best ending and said "nah I can do worse" or something?
Is this referring to the Soaprun endings? It's a lot easier on the November map. The May map has more draw rooms but is significantly harder to reach the goal.
Though ngl I wouldn't be surprised if he just threw this together as a college assignment, this feels like your typical thing you'd need to do to get one of those really fancy college degrees. Maybe he's really just been pursuing education for a really fucking long time?
Just a shot on the dark.
This is 2010-2011. This was while CS WiiWare was coming out. It's his online experiment but not a college thing that's back in like the 90's with Doggy Wyvern.

Jul 25, 2024 at 7:46 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Brayconn made an update and is updating the server(s) right now.

Looking forward to this.

The ending "card" you see after reaching the checkered flag, there's 4 of them with just a scribble writing. They are placeholders. I think Pixel planned to make some artwork of a Soaprunner or multiple Soaprunners, with equipment or not.

Imagine:
  • Ending 1: A Soaprunner with no equipment
  • Ending 2: Three Soaprunners, each with a different, single equipment
  • Ending 3: Three Soaprunners, each with two different equipment combinations
  • Ending 4: The glorious Soaprunner with all three equipments.

Jul 25, 2024 at 7:57 AM
World's #1 Laharl Kinnie
back in like the 90's with Doggy Wyvern.
Yeah but millenials like to get multiple college degrees for some reason.

I still feel like the current route is just too precise with how many ghosts start spawning, it's waaaay too many and it feels like I'm playing a horror game, that's how much adrenaline it brought out lmfao.
I was so close dude bro I was in the flag room and died :sob:

Jul 25, 2024 at 8:00 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Looking forward to this.
I don't think it will be very noticeable. It's mostly security stuff like kicking players if they idle for a long time, and respawning the shield at its origin if nobody picks it up from a dropped position in a very long time (in the November map there's a place one can softlock from room transition, which by all accounts would have been the case even back in the day considering the tiles are accurate and the client's room transition code is unmodified. Would be bad if a shield ended up there).

However, if there is any noticeable differences in enemy behavior, please let us know as you're one of the only active users who played the game back in the day. I'll let Brayconn know about this post on the snail as it sounds like it went after adjacent bodies (instead of eating them only if it happened to land on one while following a player). This github issue goes over the questions that are had.
The ending "card" you see after reaching the checkered flag, there's 4 of them with just a scribble writing. They are placeholders. I think Pixel planned to make some artwork of a Soaprunner or multiple Soaprunners, with equipment or not.

Imagine:
  • Ending 1: A Soaprunner with no equipment
  • Ending 2: Three Soaprunners, each with a different, single equipment
  • Ending 3: Three Soaprunners, each with two different equipment combinations
  • Ending 4: The glorious Soaprunner with all three equipments.
Yes. I want to make a Community Edition v2 where the community draws these missing ending cards, or maybe even get Pixel's attention to see if he wants to draw them all these years later.

I still feel like the current route is just too precise with how many ghosts start spawning, it's waaaay too many and it feels like I'm playing a horror game, that's how much adrenaline it brought out lmfao.
I was so close dude bro I was in the flag room and died :sob:
I agree for the May map. It's hard. I'm only aware of one person who has gotten Ending 4 on the May map since its revival (Afroscal). November map though I don't think it's that bad if you plan your route.

I should have some form of a Map Editor done by August 10th, with which people can make (and host) easier maps if they wish. I plan on making my own map(s) under my own server after I have the editor. Right now it's 2 map recreations from what Pixel originally had, so it makes sense to keep these two maps as-is for preservation accuracy.

Jul 25, 2024 at 8:17 AM
Gay AF
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Pronouns: She/Her
Wonder what kind of maps people will be planning to make when that drops. This sounds like a fun idea to get creative with the mechanics the game has, too.

Jul 25, 2024 at 8:19 AM
World's #1 Laharl Kinnie
Introducing the

nuclear arms conflict that consists of increasingly atrocious soaprun maps that start to take actual hours and like 40 people to beat

Jul 25, 2024 at 9:17 PM
Veteran Member
Well, I decided to update my guide. Now it is in PDF. My first post in this thread is edited, however the link to the new guide is in my post signature. I will PM Andwhyisit to update my guide on the Tribute Site.

Jul 26, 2024 at 7:09 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
EDIT: The logo that's on the Soaprun site, I designed it. I simply used the 'Hurry Up' font and placed the Soaprunner in the letter 'O' of it.
I put it there. I thought it would be a great throwback to the old Soaprun thread (plus it is a cool logo).

Jul 26, 2024 at 7:44 AM
Veteran Member
I put it there. I thought it would be a great throwback to the old Soaprun thread (plus it is a cool logo).

Thanks so very much!
Also, please check the conversation I made with you about the guide. I updated it again.

Jul 26, 2024 at 7:48 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Thanks so very much!
Also, please check the conversation I made with you about the guide. I updated it again.
I noticed, don't worry. I just need to clock off from work first.

Jul 26, 2024 at 7:44 PM
World's #1 Laharl Kinnie
Are soaprun's sprites encrypted or anything? I haven't checked yet and I wanted to fuck around with them a little bit.

Jul 26, 2024 at 7:51 PM
Gay AF
It doesn't look like they are, checking through a hex editor. Here's one of them for an example.
fxyj79.png

Jul 26, 2024 at 9:25 PM
World's #1 Laharl Kinnie
Okay hold on let me cook something brb.
Prepare for the most pristine soaps. The most RETRO soaps.

Edit:
Ok that was a long brb here you guys go
1722063360262.png
If soap, then only run

1722063458167.png
Okay here's what I actually made.
It would be nicer if the walk animation was a 4 frame animation instead of 2, seems the idle poses are just unused.
Seems to have the same "doesn't wanna play modded music" issue as Kero Blaster.

Here's the download.

Idk if I'll finish it or not.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2024 at 8:07 AM
Gay AF
I can't believe you've made Soaprun look exactly like a Newgrounds flash game.

Oh yeah, and the actual graphics from your pack look very cute.

Jul 27, 2024 at 8:37 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Pronouns: she/her
Hi everyone, I have reached out to Pixel about the game and I have something very exciting to share.

Pixel has given me the source code and the permission to release it to anyone willing to work on Soaprun reboot project.

The package includes source code for the game itself, CGI server, some misc projects, source code for an old version of pxStage editor.

Among the files you can find two map snapshots, one from May 30, 2010, another from June 19 2010 (probably the date of shutdown).

_map.png

map.png

So, here it is, have fun, I have pushed both the original unmodified code and some fixes on master branch that gets it to build and work on Visual Studio 2022.

I will personally be working on getting the game to run in browser, @Brayconn's server also now has ability to talk through WebSocket protocol.

Jul 27, 2024 at 8:45 PM
World's #1 Laharl Kinnie
A second soaprun has hit the cs community
1722109509973.jpeg

Jul 27, 2024 at 11:12 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
god damn. thanks, pixel.

Jul 28, 2024 at 3:12 AM
Veteran Member
Now that is awesome!

The Soaprun site can have it's own main server running, and a little update for a new build of the game to connect directly to the new server without the use of the Soapdish DLLs and INI. However, I still like multiple servers. I bet Soapdish will still continue to have a purpose.

About time the game is going beyond 0.432.

I will personally be working on getting the game to run in browser, @Brayconn's server also now has ability to talk through WebSocket protocol.
Also very cool. Please post a link when it's done and becomes operational.

Jul 28, 2024 at 9:20 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So yeah soaprun is playable again

Back