The Forgotten Story: Version 0.4.3

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:12 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I've decided to work on a Cave Story mod titled "The Forgotten Story".
After a young man wakes up in an abandoned factory with nothing, except for the memory of a girl and a Fireball, he's forced to travel through this strange land and discover why's he's here and who he is...
Here's the link:
Cave Story + Edition (Out-Dated): http://www.mediafire.com/?u276u17eliu7bb2
Regular Cave Story Edition: https://www.mediafire.com/?d08l3f3lbcdpl1g
Completion: 15-20%
If you find any bugs, typos, etc, and I'll fix it as soon as possible.
Screenie Links:CurlyRun.jpg
Sekras.jpg
UPDATE HISTORY:
10/5 UPDATES:
  • Added regular Cave Story version.
  • Fixed some typos and a bug.
  • Version 0.1.0 is out! Additions: Egg Corridor.
10/6 UPDATES:
  • Fixed Cave Story + bug
  • Version 0.2.0 is out! (Regular only, not +)10/7 EDIT: It's out for + too! Yay!
    Additions: Grasstown.
10/7 UPDATES:
  • Version 0.2.0 is out for + too! Yay!
10/9 UPDATES:
  • Fixed some musical glitches in the regular version, and fixed the weird starting event bug in + version. For the + version, I've tested it, and it should be fixed for good, but if it's still not, please inform me.
10/12 UPDATES:
  • I've decided to stop working on the + version of The Forgotten Story because it's taking me WAY to long to port it.
  • On that note, I've added 2 cutscenes and updated the all the cutscenes that already exist, plus a lot of the text, so it doesn't look like it was written by a 9 year old (much).
10/13 UPDATES
  • Version 0.3.0 is out! Addtions:
    Fixed some typos with the new script
    The end of Part 1!
    Part 2:
    Balcony
  • Re-Demolished Factory
  • 1st Half of the Robot Development Factory
Enjoy![*]Fixed some flags.
10/17 UPDATES
  • Not much of an update, but I'm just here to say (for anybody who's actually still looking at this) that this mod isn't dead, but I'm currently working on a sizable update. Plus, at the same time, I'm trying to keep it at a difficulty level where you don't have to hack to get through. Anyways, it's not dead. So yeah.
10/19 UPDATES
  • Version 0.4.0 is out!
    Additions:
    Core Battle!
  • Waterway
  • Re-Demolished Factory (Bad Ending)
[*]Enjoy!
10/22 UPDATES
  • Fixed some bugs (Thank you DoubleThink!)
10/23 UPDATES
  • Fixed the Waterway bug thing (I think).
11/24 UPDATES (Wow, it's been a while...)
  • Fixed a pretty important bug (Thank you X-Calibar!)

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:00 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
You should probably note that you need to buy CS+ in order to play it

Oct 6, 2013 at 3:00 AM
The Forgotten Story 0.1.0 is out!
Additions: Egg Corridor
I hope you enjoy!

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:34 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Let's just say that I couldn't get the + version to work correctly.

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:59 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Uh. Apparently he added a version available for the original version, so..
I plan on checking it out sometime tomorrow when i'm not stuck writing papers.

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:58 AM
metalsonic71 said:
Let's just say that I couldn't get the + version to work correctly.
I think I know what your talking about and I'm pretty sure I just fixed it, but if your problem is still going on in the new version, please tell me exactly what's going on.

The Forgotten Story 0.2.0 is out! It's not on The Forgotten Story + right now because of a variety of setbacks, but I'll be working on it as soon as possible! Additions: Grasstown

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Fatih120 said:
You should make Kazuma look different.
At the moment, I'm VERY terrible at editing sprites, and I personally think that it would be better to have Kazuma then a badly drawn sprite.

In other news:
The Forgotten Story 0.2.0 is out for + too! It's quite different then the regular one for a variety of reasons (mostly because I'm not very good at modding...) so, yeah, it's out!

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
How did you mod Cave Story+ ?

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM
IdioticBaka1824 said:
How did you mod Cave Story+ ?
1. Export the "stage.tbl" file using Booster's Lab.
2. If you need more info, ask at the, "Quick Modding/Hacking Answers" thread.

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh neat I can still be the first person to give some actual helpful feedback on this :orangebell:

-During the intro scene, Quote becomes invisible, there's some system sound (text noise with no text) before the scene in the Seal Chamber and the critters are then invisible when the scene changes back.
-If you die in the first area, the skipflag spawns Quote below where he should be and it's not possible to continue.
-The design in the factory comes off as rather difficult/tedious for an opening map, with its overly similar map tiles and endless pitfalls. I don't even know if there's a 'proper' way to do the last stretch with the Presses because I opted to remove them with the Fireball.
-It's entirely possible to get to the part of the Egg Corridor that needs the boost without reaching Lv3, which results in needing to head all the way back in order to reset the enemies for more.
-If you want to give Seiq an actual walking animation, you can always overwrite the sprites of a character you aren't using and use that.
-You can talk to Malco during the Balrog fight.

Got up to the switch to Curly's perspective; I'm going to leave it there for now because I'm getting a bit drowsy and this is playing more and more like a CS reskin as I go on. Nice to see you understand the basics though.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:16 AM
DoubleThink said:
Oh neat I can still be the first person to give some actual helpful feedback on this :orangebell:

-During the intro scene, Quote becomes invisible, there's some system sound (text noise with no text) before the scene in the Seal Chamber and the critters are then invisible when the scene changes back.
-If you die in the first area, the skipflag spawns Quote below where he should be and it's not possible to continue.
-The design in the factory comes off as rather difficult/tedious for an opening map, with its overly similar map tiles and endless pitfalls. I don't even know if there's a 'proper' way to do the last stretch with the Presses because I opted to remove them with the Fireball.
-It's entirely possible to get to the part of the Egg Corridor that needs the boost without reaching Lv3, which results in needing to head all the way back in order to reset the enemies for more.
-If you want to give Seiq an actual walking animation, you can always overwrite the sprites of a character you aren't using and use that.
-You can talk to Malco during the Balrog fight.

Got up to the switch to Curly's perspective; I'm going to leave it there for now because I'm getting a bit drowsy and this is playing more and more like a CS reskin as I go on. Nice to see you understand the basics though.
-Fixed the invisible Quote/Critters, but I can't figure out what's causing the text sound.
-Fixed.
-I'm currently working on editing the maps so it's more original.
-Fixed?
-Noted.
-Fixed.
Thank you for testing!

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I continued on from where I left off, but now I can't go any further because entering the waterway sends me back to the core room. Is that the intended end for now?

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM
DoubleThink said:
I continued on from where I left off, but now I can't go any further because entering the waterway sends me back to the core room. Is that the intended end for now?
Uh... no. Oops. I think I fixed the bug, but if you're still experiencing it, then please tell me.

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:40 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I tried the normal version, but New Game starts me off in Grasstown without a gun, without a clue as to what's going on; and it becomes apparent that I've skipped the beginning of the game...

The_Forgotten_Story.exe modified Oct 23, 2013