The Double Sacred Grounds/Blood Stained Sanctuary Game!

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Pronouns: he/him
Hello,
I have invented a challenge relating to cave story, I call it:
THE 2 PLATFORMS HELL CHALLENGE
Now for this game, you will need to have:
1. Stop watch
2. Devices running cave story, with a save file at the prefab house before sacred grounds
How to play:
1. Start stop watch and start on 1 device, and when you reach the first msg box of the back story, switch to the 2nd device.
2. When you get to the msg box of the back story on device 2, go back to device 1.
3. Go back and forth on each device.
4. The goal of this game is to get the fastest time, then post it in this thread by the 15th of may. The winner gets, ugh, Bragging Rights?
Only rule is, you must complete the entire level!

ready? GO!

Hello?

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:50 PM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Pronouns: she/her
I don't think anyone has two devices that can both play Cave Story, for example me.
But it does seem like an interesting challenge.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Forever 12
Okay, maybe you could have 2 copies of cave story running on your pc at the same time and switch between them?

I just suggested the 2 devices idea because CAVE STORY HAS LITTERALY BEEN PORTED TO EVERYTHING except toasters

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Perpetually out of it
*Disclaimer! Brutal sincerity and insensitivity ahead in the following post! If you are easily offended at criticism, don't read what I have to say*

Like Spiritga said,
A lot of us here, (including myself) don't own two devices that can run Cave Story, or at least have the authority to use them in succession.
Also, from a personal standpoint (and this really is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt) I really don't like the concept of this challenge, at all.
For one, playing Hell on two devices alternatively while being timed (I might mention adding a stopwatch to the challenge makes it redundant, as something in this world called "addition" exists, where you can add both combined times that the games record for you) is just asking for all sorts of trouble, mainly a lack of focus on a single game, ad the increased probability of royaly fucking up.
Second, what's the point of playing it on two devices? For added [rage-inducing] challenge? For the sake of trying to be original? It's...different, I'll give it that, but not by much.
The concept is...well...from what I can recall, similar to Twitch Plays Pokemon X Tetris except with Cave Story...?

EDIT:
Okay, maybe you could have 2 copies of cave story running on your pc at the same time and switch between them?
I just suggested the 2 devices idea because CAVE STORY HAS LITTERALY BEEN PORTED TO EVERYTHING except toasters
You can't run two copies of Doukutsu.exe on one computer at the same time, (at least on a Win 8 64-bit OS, but that's pretty much irrelevant) even if one or both copies are modified.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Nadojin said:
For one, playing Hell on two devices alternatively while being timed (I might mention adding a stopwatch to the challenge makes it redundant, as something in this world called "addition" exists, where you can add both combined times that the games record for you) is just asking for all sorts of trouble, mainly a lack of focus on a single game, ad the increased probability of royaly fucking up.
Second, what's the point of playing it on two devices? For added [rage-inducing] challenge? For the sake of trying to be original? It's...different, I'll give it that, but not by much.
The concept is...well...from what I can recall, similar to Twitch Plays Pokemon X Tetris except with Cave Story...?
If you read his post more carefully you would have seen that what he described basically had you switch between the devices whenever you got to a textbox, so it would sort of be like playing through hell two times in a row, and certainly nothing like Twitch Plays Pokemon X Tetris.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Perpetually out of it
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
If you read his post more carefully you would have seen that what he described basically had you switch between the devices whenever you got to a textbox, so it would sort of be like playing through hell two times in a row, and certainly nothing like Twitch Plays Pokemon X Tetris.
It wouldn't make much of a difference if you paused the game at timed intervals to switch, so you're still playing two Hells at the same time, for the most part. I wasn't directly saying it's Twitch Plays Pokemon X Tetris, but it was the closest thing that came to mind.
Doesn't save the fact that it's an unnecessarily monotonous and redundant challenge.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:53 PM
Forever 12
What I meant was, when you get to 1 text box in on one device, you switch to the other one.

(I suck at explaining things)

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Nadojin said:
It wouldn't make much of a difference if you paused the game at timed intervals to switch, so you're still playing two Hells at the same time, for the most part.
Yes it does, because only one copy of the game would be taking input at a time. Unlike Twitch Plays pokemon x tetris, where one set of inputs was used to play 2 games simultaneously.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:08 AM
Perpetually out of it
I apologize for the amount of under-specification on my part, by "playing two Hells at the same time" I meant to say "the same session".

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Sincerity will always triumph over irony.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Pronouns: He/Him
I just don't get what's the point of the challenge.

Like, all you are really doing is beating Hell twice within two alternates.

Is it supposed to mess you up with having to refocus on a diffrent HP/weapon EXP/whatever?
Is it the challenge of being able to get a good time on each without messing up one of them?

It's so weirdly stated that I don't see what makes it specifically hard.

(Plus you would have to reset each session you fail on because the Skipflags would remove the dialogue as you read them, which means extra work.)

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:12 AM
Forever 12
Since this thread has gotten nowhere,
Can someone lock this for me?

Apr 22, 2014 at 3:44 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
You should have started the topic with a video of you attempting the challenge :p
In most cases, actions > ideas

If it looked enjoyable, then perhaps someone would have given it a go~

Apr 22, 2014 at 4:00 AM
thinks dogs are cool
X-Calibar said:
You should have started the topic with a video of you attempting the challenge :p
In most cases, actions > ideas
But he has the challenge set so you need two devices. How would he record both at the same time, or without us saying that he just went through Sacred Grounds twice on the same device?

Apr 22, 2014 at 4:21 AM
Indie game enthusiast
record your desktop with two windows open, and for fun maybe a little program that shows what keys or gamepad buttons are being pressed.
Or... use a third device to record the two~or one PC, two windows + one camera...

Apr 22, 2014 at 4:31 AM
thinks dogs are cool
The first way wouldn't work because you can't have the .exe open in two windows on the same device.
For the second one, though, do you mean two Windows computers? Otherwise, with one device having the recording application open and recording and the camera recording the other device would work.

Apr 22, 2014 at 4:32 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
tbh you could hack the exe to allow multiple instances
but that wouldn't make the idea any better

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:26 AM
Indie game enthusiast
The first way wouldn't work because you can't have the .exe open in two windows on the same device.
For the second one, though, do you mean two Windows computers? Otherwise, with one device having the recording application open and recording and the camera recording the other device would work.
Ah I see, I was thinking of CS+, which should allow you to run multiple instances...

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:40 AM
thinks dogs are cool
X-Calibar said:
Ah I see, I was thinking of CS+, which should allow you to run multiple instances...
Oh. I've never tried opening multiple CS+ windows. Oh well.

*coughalsothisistotallyofftopicsorrycough*

Back