The Curse of Il'andri'iel (version 0.1)

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:12 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
This is going to be my fifth Cave Story mod and it is entirely unrelated to my other three mods (Shadow of the Stars, Cave Story Re:coded and Shane's Cave Story 1). And it's definitely unrelated to Cave Story: Time Warp.

I know some members told me in the past not to make six mods at once (I'm trying not to but I don't think it seems to be working) but when I take breaks between certain mods, I have to keep myself busy otherwise I'm probably annoy someone and I don't want to annoy anyone (although I think I am starting to annoy members with working on five mods simultaneously). So to those who are getting very annoyed at me because I'm making a fifth mod, sorry.

The mod's name was entirely random, because (1) I am entirely random and (2) it's the best name I can think up for a Dark Elf (who is the antagonist). I actually began this mod on 1 August, but I kinda forgot about it. The protagonist is (at the moment) unnamed, but uses the same annoyingly familiar facepics from Shane's Cave Story that Kim uses. Most of the spritesets and stuff are from my previous mods, although there are some of them that aren't.

The protagonist's weapon is the blade of her deceased sister, who died trying to stop a giant toaster. The protagonist finds herself in a castle with a lot of moving blocks and traps and minions. How she escaped an execution she doesn't understand.

Expect a lot of mimics and a lot of fake walls. And maybe a lot of traps.
Also, if anyone has comments or suggestions or complaints or questions or anything, don't hesitate.

EDIT:
Here's the link to the download.
Download the Curse of Il'andri'iel version 0.1.

SECOND EDIT:
This mod has now been cancelled.
I doubt anyone will help me with ASMing, and it's too hard for me to understand.
And that which I would try to ASM in is impossible, I guess.
Sorry to those who liked this mod.

THIRD EDIT:
This mod has now been "uncancelled" - it will probably have to go without ASMing, though.
Guess I have to figure out a plan B for the plot.

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
il ... and ... dri ... god I can't pronounce that.

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:47 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
il-an-dri-el?

Jesus christ

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
il ... and ... dri ... god I can't pronounce that.
I think it can be pronounced like "il-an-dri-ii-el".

I thought the name was "ll'andri'iel" instead of "il'andri'iel" (LL instead of IL), try to pronounce that!

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:01 AM
The Eternal Darkness
Uh, yeah, sorry about the weird name. :o
"il-an-dri-el" or "il-an-dri-ii-el" could work.
I probably should find a better name, maybe Caladrielas is better.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
You might be making a lot of mods, but at least you have good ideas for them so far.

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:10 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Rule #5 of fantasy naming: Make it looks unpronounceable but common when said.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:59 AM
The Eternal Darkness
I thought the name was "ll'andri'iel" instead of "il'andri'iel" (LL instead of IL), try to pronounce that!
There's the reason why I use Comic Sans MS as the title bar font.
Makes it easier to see which is an L and which is an I.
The other reason is because if I change it my computer reboots automatically for some odd reason.
You might be making a lot of mods, but at least you have good ideas for them so far.
Thanks.
Keep it going! If you need help - ask me!
Will do.

I decided to give a few screenshots of the first part, so that you guys can (sort of) see what I'm planning.
And it's impossible to have 13 maximum HP, I only forgot was too lazy to test from the beginning. The reason is because the intro cutscene is kinda long.
p157638-0-knhl3.png

Somewhere inside the castle lies the answer of which daises to use. Four of them are correct and will open the way to a different weapon. The other six all go to a deathtrap of some sort.
p157638-1-yqmq5.png

There must be a fake wall. If there isn't, how is it possible to pass the deathtrap?
I'm working on modifying the tilesets entirely. Those eye blocks will thus look different when I finally release the mod.

And now, some sort of bad news, although at the moment it's nothing major.
I ran into a sort of glitch - any tiles that are tile type 60 (usually used for water) prevents walking for some reason.

I started from scratch with an unmodified "Doukutsu.exe" so it's nothing major anymore.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:10 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Many of the symbols on the blocks are so familiar, but the only one i can recognize is the Eye of Horus. Anyways, a compete tile set change is gonna take a long time.

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Uh, yeah, sorry about the weird name. :o
"il-an-dri-el" or "il-an-dri-ii-el" could work.
I probably should find a better name, maybe Caladrielas is better.
Maybe "il-an-drii-el" (drawn I sound)?

Also is the "an" pronounced like in "Mulan" or like the "an" used in "tan".

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM
The Eternal Darkness
Many of the symbols on the blocks are so familiar, but the only one i can recognize is the Eye of Horus.
I just drew whichever came to mind.

Anyways, a compete tile set change is gonna take a long time.
Not really.
I have a lot of free time since 7 March 2011, so it won't take that long.
Please don't ask, it's a long story that probably only two or three members here know of, other than me.

Maybe "il-an-drii-el" (drawn I sound)?
Also is the "an" pronounced like in "Mulan" or like the "an" used in "tan".
Could be, or maybe it's "Ill-an-drii-el."
This actually gives me an idea. Not even the protagonist knows how to pronunciate the name after reading it on a stone tablet or something, and ends up arguing with one of the castle guards on how it's pronunciated.
Said castle guard is a boss who speaks French.
If anyone wants to guess who it is, feel free to do so. It's someone familiar who didn't speak French before.

Is it normal to feel worried whenever a staff member posts in such a thread?

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:34 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
TIP:

Please don't make the Titleset so confusing this time. You might as well make the confusing ones 50% more darker than the normal ones because in the other mods i rage quit over that.

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM
The Eternal Darkness
TIP:

Please don't make the Titleset so confusing this time. You might as well make the confusing ones 50% more darker than the normal ones because in the other mods i rage quit over that.
I'll try not to place fake walls in the tileset that look the same as normal ones. Unless it's for secret areas like hidden Life Capsules that increase max HP by 15 or so. And if I do so, I'll probably make the fake wall lighter (if it's in the foreground) or darker (if it's in the background).

However, some tiles will look exactly the same and be fake - especially spikes. Jumping into spikes will be required to obtain one of the Life Capsules in the castle. I've also decided to mark areas where fake spikes are. In the castle, there will be red bricks under/above the fake spikes.

There is a room in the castle that translates the symbols into numbers. That pic on the previous page which has ten symbols and pressure plates? Something has to be placed on four of them, and the other six is a death trap. The code is somewhere in the castle.

The first Life Capsule is actually obtainable before Chapter 1 (which starts in the Castle), but it's very hard to obtain. And scoring a weapon is also good, even if it is temporary. And then, there is a puzzle to reach the first boss as well. Basically, most of the puzzles involve pressure plates, so far, except the first Life Capsule, which has terminals and Presses (sort of like Grasstown, but just harder and longer).

I finally got a name for the protagonist. Which is pretty long, unfortunately. But at least there's a short version, because it would get annoying if one has to read/say the long name all the time. The protagonist's full name is Danielle Annelie Ronel Claire Isabella Erin. The short version is Darcy. Her parents had long names, and this is why Darcy and her sisters have long names. Nicole's full name is Nicky Ingrid Carrie Olivia Lexus Erica. Megan's full name was Megan Ellen Gabriella Arna Nancy.

There *may* be a second protagonist (who's already been sprited, just in case), and maybe the main protagonist will have more than one spritesheet, I dunno. What I do know is that there will be NO items yet (other than weapons and Life Capsules).

Also, I'll probably use this extended version remix thing of Meltdown 2 in the Castle.

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM
The Eternal Darkness
24 September this year.
Hopefully with a forest.

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:26 PM
"Huzzah!"
Guys, don't cry about the name...
Remember Revorshkenahl?
Hehehe...

I really like the concept, I'll be waiting :D.

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM
The Eternal Darkness
Guys, don't cry about the name...
Remember Revorshkenahl?
Hehehe...
Seems like I have to check that one out.

Anyway, released a day early!
Download the Curse of Il'andri'iel version 0.1 either from this link or from the original post. Or from the first spoiler in my signature, the fifth link there.
(I place download links to my mods in there, because I'm too lazy to place the forum links there. And it was the only way to get Shadow of the Stars and Cave Story Re:coded before September, since I had a post-ban since 3 March.)

Also, sorry about the first boss being... what it is. (which is probably "lame and weird-looking")
Gansbaai had power outages on 21 and 22 September, so I was unable to work on the mod then. I had to hurry today just to get this release ready.

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Notes:
-The mod seems to start in the wrong place, even from a new game (and exiting the dark room makes it appear during the <FAO anyway)
-The flying demons make it possible to get any weapon straight up to level 3, and the huge max exp on the Blade means that it's easy to get it there effectively forever
-Like the La-Mulana tileset
-Like the moving block section
-The event that gives the Laser Handgun messes up the music
-I could swear the one life capsule only gave me +5, but after getting the Handgun and going back to save I noticed I suddenly had 30 total?

It's kind of hard to tell what's going on at the moment, so I don't have much of an opinion yet :toroko2:

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM
The Eternal Darkness
Multiquote messes things up by removing everything in the spoiler. :(

DoubleThink said:
Notes:

-The mod seems to start in the wrong place, even from a new game (and exiting the dark room makes it appear during the <FAO anyway)
I guess I forgot to change the starting room to the right place, since I was busy testing to see whether it is possible to obtain the Life Capsule there.
And the dark room has to remain dark until a light gets switched on, but I guess I forgot about the door event's Fade Out.

DoubleThink said:
-The flying demons make it possible to get any weapon straight up to level 3, and the huge max exp on the Blade means that it's easy to get it there effectively forever
Partially intentional, since it makes it hard to get the hearts. If I were able to remove the XP drops from the demons without removing the heart drops, then I'd do it. But my ASM skills are limited to messing the game up to beyond the point of fixing it.

DoubleThink said:
-Like the La-Mulana tileset
-Like the moving block section
Was it the daises or the bricks that gave it away?

DoubleThink said:
-The event that gives the Laser Handgun messes up the music
-I could swear the one life capsule only gave me +5, but after getting the Handgun and going back to save I noticed I suddenly had 30 total?
The event that gives the Laser Handgun plays the Get Item song first. Then it plays the Get Life Capsule song, while the player gets a Life Capsule which increases maximum HP by 15 (which is there because I can't beat the first boss with just 20 HP, the Toxic Bubble Gun, Laser Handgun and Megan's Blade).
There are two Life Capsules that give 5 Max HP. The one is in the castle and the other is in the dark room. Which is deliberately hard, because some people like challenges.

DoubleThink said:
It's kind of hard to tell what's going on at the moment, so I don't have much of an opinion yet
I'd have gotten to that part but two power outages stopped me. I had to hurry because I didn't want to miss my deadline (which I set for myself).

Have anyone reached the first boss yet?

Also, there will (hopefully) be more moving blocks in the next version. And definitely a forest with moving blocks. And trees growing from the side of the walls.