The Battle Spire Challenge

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:19 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
The Battle Spire Challenge
Do you have what it takes to take on multiple bosses at once?

And do you have the skills to beat them all faster than other challengers?

I certainly don't think so!
Features:
- Choose from four starter weapons, which upgrade into more powerful weapons later on.
- Secret areas, special bosses, and more!
- Runs at 60 FPS (courtesy of Aar's 60 FPS hack).
- Music from Kero Blaster!
- Great challenge for speedrunners!
- A total of 12 pairs of bosses to battle to the death!

Screenshots:
Screenshot (21).png
Screenshot (22).png

Downloads:

Version 2.1

Special Thanks To:
  • ZarroTsu and Shmitz for Jenka's Nightmare characters.
  • Pixel Studios for Kero Blaster music.
  • TPcool and Aar for betatesting.
  • Aar for his 50 FPS hack.
Be sure to post your best times!

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2015 at 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
This looks interesting, very interesting.
Edit:
How do you reset your weapons?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2015 at 12:38 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
So far, I'm really liking this mod, and the Kero Blaster music sounds great!
There are a couple of quirks I'd like to point out though.
- I can't change weapons after I get two of them. It'd be cool if I know what that 4th one is after picking two of the first 3.
- Is the giant critter and Suto boss battle supposed to have your HP reduced when you get injured on purpose, rather than by mistakes? It's a bit unfair, really, if I go to the next boss with very few HP because of that.

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:46 AM
scrungy
I'm glad I got to help make this mod more enjoyable. I know you didn't follow all of my criticism, but that's okay.

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:06 AM
Veteran Member
In the Monster X fight, Puu Black does nothing unless you hit him. You can ignore him throughout the entire fight.

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:20 AM
In the Monster X fight, Puu Black does nothing unless you hit him. You can ignore him throughout the entire fight.

Yeah, but he'd do that regardless of what boss fight you put him in. You actually have to shoot him repeatedly.

So far, I'm really liking this mod, and the Kero Blaster music sounds great!
There are a couple of quirks I'd like to point out though.
- I can't change weapons after I get two of them. It'd be cool if I know what that 4th one is after picking two of the first 3.
- Is the giant critter and Suto boss battle supposed to have your HP reduced when you get injured on purpose, rather than by mistakes? It's a bit unfair, really, if I go to the next boss with very few HP because of that.

What do you mean by the last point?

EDIT:

Forgot to ask, has anyone gotten past the Core fight yet? There's an EXTRA SPECIAL boss after the Core fight that I'm waiting for a reaction to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 15, 2015 at 1:34 AM
scrungy
I think video game started a time attack trend

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:35 AM
I think video game started a time attack trend

I'd actually had this idea long before your mod came out. It was your mod coming out that got me motivated to actually start it.

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:36 AM
War criminal
This is what I mean on the last point:
Unless there's a technique I haven't seen before without the fans in vanilla, there isn't a way to go around the Balfrog/Giant Critter boss without getting hurt on purpose.

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:38 AM
This is what I mean on the last point:
Unless there's a technique I haven't seen before without the fans in vanilla, there isn't a way to go around the Balfrog/Giant Critter boss without getting hurt on purpose.

I even added a message box that said "Equipped the Booster v0.8" as the very first thing that you see when you click "NEW".

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:40 AM
War criminal
...That's right. Okay, I guess I'll try again using the Booster. I had it on me, I didn't think of using it then because I'm way too used to facing the boss without it.

Sep 15, 2015 at 2:21 AM
Veteran Member
Well, I got past the core fight (Finally!) and I just have to say...
NYAAAAAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
I died on the boss after that, I wonder how many more there are later on.

Sep 15, 2015 at 2:38 AM
Well, I got past the core fight (Finally!) and I just have to say...
NYAAAAAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
I died on the boss after that, I wonder how many more there are later on.

There are twelve pairs of bosses. I myself have yet to complete the challenge, though I know its possible. I've gotten as far as the fourth-to-last boss set, and the only reason I failed there was because I screwed up majorly. I probably could've made it to the end on that run.

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:16 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
I like it so far, but some things caught my eye.
First of all...
p206576-0-ogpqypk.png

What is Sue doing?
Also, it'd be nice to know that Curly is not on your side when the Omega battle starts, I thought she was on my side when I first played.[\Spoiler]

Sep 17, 2015 at 6:25 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Played the mod, and here're my notes (rather short given the nature of the mod):
okay let's do this thing

You should've probably put sparkles or something in front of the Mimiga statues in the room right after Start Point. It took me a second to realize that I needed to examine them to get my weapon(s).

If you quit and reload the game right after getting your weapons from the statues, the wall blocking the teleporter reappears. You can get it to go away again by inspecting a statue, but it's still weird. Same happens whenever you die and reload.

I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU HAD TO BORROW THE GREAT WHITE CRITTER AND SUTO FROM JENKA'S NIGHTMARE AAAAAAAAAAAA
I understand you got permission and all, but why can't you just come up with original resources?
WHY SUTO?

balrog's missiles are invisible
this is not ok

wait why did i get the snake
oh shit the machine gun doesn't need ammo anymore
booster 2.0 yesss

WHY DID THE MACHINE GUN GO TO LEVEL 1
WHY
WHY
WHY
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ok thank you for putting exp capsules in the arena

I didn't get anything for killing Nyan Cat without taking damage
0/10 into the garbage this mod goes

i hate my keyboard so much
i shouldn't die to first form ballos at full health

I ended up getting to what I think was the final boss on my first try, but it was then that my keyboard decided to pull some shenanigans. Each attempt afterwards grew progressively worse.
7 broken keyboards out of 10

Sep 17, 2015 at 11:42 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Holy Ballos, that was a lot of bosses!
9'26"9
If I try for a speed time I'll use regular controls next time... Rapid fire controller ftw! [saves my hand from developing rapid fire syndrome with battle mods...
(RFS - person begins to blur from involuntary high rapid movement. Not as fun as it sounds.)]

@modsnotbeingnoticed
I noticed you were pretty bothered at the lack of interest. There are a lot of great mods out there that deserve recognition... But it's just hit or miss with posts.
It's not just "Make it and they will come." More like, make it... and then poke zombies (like me) and hope for the best~
Nice mod SuperJaws. I commend you on this challenge.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2015 at 8:42 PM
Pointless double post
Holy Ballos, that was a lot of bosses!
9'26"9
If I try for a speed time I'll use regular controls next time... Rapid fire controller ftw! [saves my hand from developing rapid fire syndrome with battle mods...
(RFS - person begins to blur from involuntary high rapid movement. Not as fun as it sounds.)]

@modsnotbeingnoticed
I noticed you were pretty bothered at the lack of interest. There are a lot of great mods out there that deserve recognition... But it's just hit or miss with posts.
It's not just "Make it and they will come." More like, make it... and then poke zombies (like me) and hope for the best~
Nice mod SuperJaws. I commend you on this challenge.

Holy shit you finished it.

I commend you on that. This thing is hard, even by my standards. At least I didn't keep the original combination of Toroko+ and Monster X. That was a NIGHTMARE.

Played the mod, and here're my notes (rather short given the nature of the mod):
okay let's do this thing

You should've probably put sparkles or something in front of the Mimiga statues in the room right after Start Point. It took me a second to realize that I needed to examine them to get my weapon(s).

If you quit and reload the game right after getting your weapons from the statues, the wall blocking the teleporter reappears. You can get it to go away again by inspecting a statue, but it's still weird. Same happens whenever you die and reload.

I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU HAD TO BORROW THE GREAT WHITE CRITTER AND SUTO FROM JENKA'S NIGHTMARE AAAAAAAAAAAA
I understand you got permission and all, but why can't you just come up with original resources?
WHY SUTO?

balrog's missiles are invisible
this is not ok

wait why did i get the snake
oh shit the machine gun doesn't need ammo anymore
booster 2.0 yesss

WHY DID THE MACHINE GUN GO TO LEVEL 1
WHY
WHY
WHY
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ok thank you for putting exp capsules in the arena

I didn't get anything for killing Nyan Cat without taking damage
0/10 into the garbage this mod goes

i hate my keyboard so much
i shouldn't die to first form ballos at full health

I ended up getting to what I think was the final boss on my first try, but it was then that my keyboard decided to pull some shenanigans. Each attempt afterwards grew progressively worse.
7 broken keyboards out of 10

I put the Jenka's Nightmare guys in there because I thought it was a nice throwback. I didn't want to do Balfrog and Balrog because that would make no sense.

Why does everyone expect a reward for killing the Ironhead-type bosses without taking damage? Like really.

Were these notes written as you went? I think I can see a bit of your thought process there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 17, 2015 at 9:15 PM
Melon Lord
I can guess it's because you got a reward for doing so in the original game is all.

Also, I may stream this game and critique it as I go on at around...say, 3:30PM PST or so?

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:20 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I signed in just to say
kero blaster music <3
you made my day ty

Sep 17, 2015 at 11:03 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I put the Jenka's Nightmare guys in there because I thought it was a nice throwback. I didn't want to do Balfrog and Balrog because that would make no sense.

Why does everyone expect a reward for killing the Ironhead-type bosses without taking damage? Like really.

Were these notes written as you went? I think I can see a bit of your thought process there.

Why would it matter if it made sense when you combined bosses like Rabid Toroko and the third version of Balrog? Or the first version of Balrog and an unusually beefy Power Critter?

As Jon said, you get the Jellyfish Medal for defeating Ironhead in vanilla Cave Story without taking any damage throughout the fight. It's not super important, but it would have been a nice touch.
Nyan Medal when

Yeah, the notes I usually post after playing a mod are written as I play the mod. It started way back when I played Dreams of Reality 2, and from then on I found it was a nifty way of pointing out stuff.