Terranigma!

Jan 31, 2009 at 8:50 AM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Just something I wrote and wanted to post.

Terranigma! Now there's a game for the SNES that has long been forgotten by time, the main problem being how it was release, or how it wasn't released I should say.

I only got this game a little while ago when I was at a garage sale (at which I also got a few other older games, but this one is my favorite out of them for sure) and it just blew me away.

For as long as I can remember since I played them, and no matter how many other SNES games I played through two games that have always held a top spot on my lists. FF6 and CT, CT claiming the top spot when it comes to music alone. And while other games came close (FF4/5, Earthbound, Illusion of Gaia, Lufia, E.V.O. Search for Eden only to name only a few) they couldn't take them down.

Until I played this game, right off the bat the music was wonderful being a good sign since even if a game is "bad" I can enjoy playing it if the music is good. Lucky for me I wouldn't have to worry about the game being "bad".

Such a great story, a fun battle system, and absolutely beautiful music, what more can you ask for in a game?

This game is now at the top of my list when it comes to SNES games, and amongst the top in overall games.

And unless there is another almost completely unknown SNES game with all these things and more it won't ever fall from my top lists when it comes to SNES games.

Jan 31, 2009 at 9:16 AM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I have the rom but I never got around to playing it yet. The idea of the world map being based on earth is very appealing to me I have to play this soon.

Jan 31, 2009 at 9:58 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I've heard of this and I intend to play it at some point... but I usually prefer to play things in chronological order. Or semi-chronological, as the case may be >_>

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:21 AM
Grumpy *****istrator
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Terranigma was always an odd game by its release schedules.

In case anyone is unaware the game was translated from the Japanese by Enix of America, but the directors decided that due to its reliance on religiously contentious issues then they decided to pull the US release.

However, they decided that the PAL release for Europe was to go ahead (yes the American subsiduary had control over European releases), yet they put no effort into advertising the game and so the game didn't sell because it came out with so little fanfare that it didn't get much shelf space, if any.

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:31 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I don't remember reading about it at all at the time (and yet I can recall the rubbish review GamesMaster did for Phantasy Star 4) and even now I've still not had the chance to play it. I do find it bizarre that we were deemed worthy of receiving this, but they never tried even an experimental release of something like Dragon Quest.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:07 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
BRB, downloading rom IMMEDIATELY.

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:49 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Terranigma is pure awesomeness, play it NOW!

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:52 PM
/end
andwhyisit said:
Terranigma is pure awesomeness

Agreed.

I'm hoping to have some free time soon so I can finish it, I left off at the part right before the Hero's Grave.

Feb 8, 2009 at 8:17 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I still need to finish Terraenigma someday. I left off right after I fought the battle against Bloody Mary, least I think that was the name of the boss. She was quite difficult I remember. The game was really great though. Beautiful music and graphics.

-SkyeWelse

Feb 8, 2009 at 8:58 PM
So... Why is there a lion in Tokyo's sewers?

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:01 PM
/end
It's part of the story.

Hmm, you are at the bird part, yes? If so the next part will give you your lion, and then something right near the end of the game will give you the story behind it.

Feb 9, 2009 at 4:47 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Oh God, Terranigma. I love that game, along with it's "prequels" Illusion of Gaia and (of a lesser note) SoulBlazer. I played Illusion of Gaia all the time for the SNES when I was little, and, when I heard that Illusion of Gaia had a sequel of sorts, I had to play it, and thanks to the powers of emulation I have.

Though of course, I can't sing much of the praise I would for this game without spoiling something, so I'll keep quiet.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:10 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jester Frog said:
I played Illusion of Gaia all the time for the SNES when I was little
I have an original snes cart for Illusion of Time (that's the European name for Illusion of Gaia btw). It was my first SNES RPG. My sister and I would play it over and over again.

Feb 10, 2009 at 8:31 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Same here. I must have finished at least five playthroughs of Illusion of Gaia that I can remember. Such a great game.

-SkyeWelse

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:20 PM
Grumpy *****istrator
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It is just a shame that the smartest and noblest character in the game was a non-anthropomorphic pig.

I don't know if the US version was the same but the oddest thing about Illusion of Time was that there was a complete walkthrough in the instruction manual, clearly detailing information such as the location of each of the red jewels.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:25 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Shirofan said:
I don't know if the US version was the same but the oddest thing about Illusion of Time was that there was a complete walkthrough in the instruction manual, clearly detailing information such as the location of each of the red jewels.
I still have a copy of that! :eek:

Feb 23, 2009 at 9:59 PM
Hmm...

Early on in the game, if you wander the world map that's available to you, you MIGHT just stumble on one of the two secret areas that open up some pretty fuckawesome shit AT THE END OF THE GAME.

If you don't do it right at the beginning of the game, you can never get there. And they don't tell you it's there.

I found one of the secret places and was like, fuck yeah found a secret! Good deal!

Missed the other, important one.

rage.jpg

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:21 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Kageryushin said:
Hmm...

Early on in the game, if you wander the world map that's available to you, you MIGHT just stumble on one of the two secret areas that open up some pretty fuckawesome shit AT THE END OF THE GAME.

If you don't do it right at the beginning of the game, you can never get there. And they don't tell you it's there.

I found one of the secret places and was like, fuck yeah found a secret! Good deal!

Missed the other, important one.
Same here. I think everyone gets the first secret (hard to miss) and misses the second (how the f**k does that even remotely resemble an identifiable location on the world map, looked more like a rock to me).

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:10 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I didn't find either one. And by the time I found out about them I was like... well at the point where you reap the rewards for getting them. I was like "oh well, I guess I'll do that when I inevitably play through the game again"