Teh community

Jul 15, 2006 at 11:05 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
It's really obvious that there's way more Cave Story fans than just the people on these boards. My question is - where are they? What other meeting places are there for Cave Story fans?

Jul 15, 2006 at 11:12 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well I've saw some communitys who are tryed to hack Cave Story... ^^
The most edited hack, was a costum map :(... Such n00bs XD

Jul 15, 2006 at 11:51 PM
"..."
They deserve ridicule. ;)

Speaking of custom hacks, I'm still free to turn a MIDI or anything into an ORG as best I can, seeing as I'm aparently the only person here who's ever used Orgmaker. :(

Jul 16, 2006 at 12:22 AM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Osmose said:
Speaking of custom hacks, I'm still free to turn a MIDI or anything into an ORG as best I can, seeing as I'm aparently the only person here who's ever used Orgmaker. :(
A midi-to-org conversion program would be interesting, as the two formats are very different...

I think most people who play or hack CS just aren't involved enough in it to look for a community. Most of the boards I'm on, I've posted about CS and gotten a lot of replies. In fact, one of the boards I'm on now had a somewhat involved CS hack thread for a little while - it's considered a good challenge because the code is simple and short, and works out a lot like 65816 code does (if anything, I'd say that processor is the one hacked the most currently ;) ) So it's fun.

It just doesn't seem like it's enough to get people involved to the point of joining another board, though. :/

Jul 16, 2006 at 12:29 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Hmm, other than the Livejournal Doukutsu community, I don't really know of too many others unfortunately.

-SkyeWelse

Jul 16, 2006 at 1:38 AM
Hoxtilicious
Well there is a prequel Forum but there are only spammers and to them i have to say:
No thanks!
And Rune is real right!!!
Why ure not making a conversion programm?
And hey! Iv'e used Orgmaker too ^^ ive made some bad musics!! ^^ Look at the Costum Musik Exe and hear the title song: http://www.filespace.org/ShInInG_PhAnToM/CSNEWDATA.zip

Jul 16, 2006 at 1:50 AM
The Bartender
ShInInG PhAnToM said:
Why ure not making a conversion programm?
I'd love to, and this is definately something I wouldn't mind sharing if I did, but spare time to invest in it is something I don't have at the moment. I'd have to do some research on the ORG format too..

Jul 16, 2006 at 4:00 AM
"..."
I don't have the assembly knowhow to make a conversion program. Although I might take a stab at staring at the hex and seeing if I get anything out of that, I highly doubt it. Rune's probably our best bet.

Jul 16, 2006 at 10:52 AM
Hoxtilicious
OMG -_- lol
You doesn't need assembly knowhow, you can did it with a Veeeeeerryyyyy easssyyyyy Programm Langugue... Visual Basic for expample, or C++...
I would make a conversion program if I know where to get the Format of MIDI's and ORG's...

Jul 16, 2006 at 11:11 AM
The Bartender
I think what Osmose meant was the assembly knowhow to reverse-engineer the ORG format.

Writing the program in question could even be done in QBasic once the format and the conversion methods have been figured out. :(

Jul 16, 2006 at 5:34 PM
"..."
Oh, hell yeah. It would be easy to do in VB if I knew how the format worked.

I might actually look into Midi format to see how it works - there might be some similarities.

I've been looking at an ORG I made of the FF3 battle music - it's only three instruments, and they don't vary in panning or volume, so it, in theory, should be easier to identify the notes. So far the only pattern I can find is what appears to be a header, and then three sections corresponding to each of the three used channels(I think).

Each of these sections is made up of two parts - first, a pattern split into four values a section, where the first value increases by 2 each repetition, and the latter three values are all either 00 00 00 or 01 00 00. The thing is, on my first instrument, which starts right off at the very beginning of the song, has a bunch of blanks and then a bunch of the 01 patterns. I can't find anything that really defines the note. Really, the only reason I know it's the first instrument is that I randomly changed one of the 00s to 01 00 00 (in the pattern) and when opened in Orgmaker it was all bugged - the notes didn't even display until you got to a certain bar, and when they did show up they dissappear if you go too far back again, and they, essentially, don't exist.

The second part of each instrument is a block of different values, then about two blocks of different values, then it moves on to the next instrument.

Woah. While reading this I just realized - the first block in the second part corresponds to the notes, and I assume the second and third blocks are volume and panning, although I'm not entirely sure. What I think it is is that the first part uses that 01 as part of a counter, because I just noticed the 01's start after the first counter (that increases by 2) hits F8.

Basically, I now know what defines notes, but not what the first part is. VICTORY!

Mebbe I'll be able to make that converter after all. :(

Jul 16, 2006 at 7:15 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
RuneLancer said:
Writing the program in question could even be done in QBasic once the format and the conversion methods have been figured out. :(

QBasic (or more precisely in my case, QuickBasic) is what I use for over a third of my programming.

;)