Survival Plan

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:12 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
As fun as zombie survival plans are, we know they're just fantasy. A zombie outbreak won't happen...
BUT SOMETHING WORSE WILL.

Some time this fall, we are going to run out of IP addresses. People won't be able to get new ones. What does this mean? It means it's the Webocalypse, mother fuckers.
Nerdy types assure us that IPv4, our current system, can be replaced by IPv6 painlessly, as long as there aren't any major hiccups. Well guess what? There are always hiccups. The internet has turned on us, and we could be facing global riots, a cybernetic rebellion, or a global, cybernetic riot.
I dare you not to crap your pants in fear.
So, now that you've collected yourself, I ask: what is your contingency plan for when the tubes are clogged? Do you make your home into a fortress? Do you run to the hills? Or do you attach two chainsaws to a motorcycle and ruin the day of everyone in front of you?

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:16 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
This just sounds like Y2K all over again, except for less people seem to care...?

Either way the worst that would happen is the internet being down for maybe a couple of hours I'd imagine anyways, and I'm sure we'd all be able to find some other way to occupy ourselves for that short period of time.

Of course if the internet crashes again then that's another story...

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:23 AM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Either way the worst that would happen is the internet being down for maybe a couple of hours I'd imagine anywayshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4vDClhnJjs
If the internet was down for a couple of hours, people would die. I do not think you grasp the scope of the internet. It's not just people playing Call of Duty or checking Facebook from their phones. Fucking everything runs on the internet. It's like making everyone deaf for a couple hours. PANDEMONIUM.

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:26 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Without the internet there is no debit transactions
Probably no credit either, unless their system is set to backup onto a local server in such an event (I've seen credit go through when debit has not)
Would you be able to bank? maybe not.
Would you be able to cross the border? I don't know.

internet is many things.

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:26 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Now I can finally work on that life I've been meaning to get.

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:29 AM
Something rather important happened regarding the internet not long ago. If there was no more internet, who knows what could happen there?

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:15 PM
Noxid's Right. :/
Nobody could withdrawl cash from an atm.
Nobody could buy groceries at a grocery store (but for cash)
Gas would cease to be gotten.
Basically, the entire economy would grind to a close for at least a few hours, perhaps up to several days, if there are any hiccups.
The stock market would go down the tubes - except there would be no more stock market.

Nobody would be able to communicate long distance except for radio, tv, and uh, phones.
There would be almost no forewarning of disruptive weather systems or traffic accidents.
People would have a harder time organizing in groups, so wouldn't be able to stop tyrannical moves by the government (which are ever so likely).
Basically, the majority of our social system would cease to exist as well.

THIS IS BAD.
And worse, it's even sorta probable. :confused:

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:08 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Wait a minute though, if there's just a short period of time where people can't get new IP addresses, that wouldn't be so bad. If you already have an IP address, you're set, and probably won't even notice a difference.

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:38 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
1. Nothing supports IPv6
2. No-one with an IPv4 address has an IPv6 address
3. You will be informed of the switch by a countdown clock on live TV
4. Internet and networking companies don't care about this at all. They have done and will have done absolutely no work regarding it
5. The switchover will happen exactly when the last v4 address is taken. Someone will pull a big red lever somewhere
6. It will happen at exactly the same time for each ISP everywhere in the world. People have that much co-operation, but not enough to keep the internet running for the weeks of mayhem that are sure to follow.

What?! You don't believe me?!

1. Pretty much everything supports IPv6 as standard
2. Everyone with an IPv4 address has an IPv6 address
3. Maybe a month before it's due to happen, your ISP will send a letter to you regarding the switchover and any tests you need to do
4. Every internet and networking company with a hint of self preservation will be working solidly to make sure the switch is seamless
5. The switch will probably happen when there are about 50 million v4 addresses still remaining
6. It will happen at different times for each country and each ISP

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:58 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I have a rich offline life so I could survive the end of the internet easily. This is like Y2K as Giraka said. Nothing will happen. But if it happens I`ll watch TV instead.

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:09 AM
My TV uses internet instead of cable.
:confused: NOOOOOO

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:09 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Internet isn't the most significant form of entertainment, at least not for me. So I suppose I'd still be on the computer, but not as much as I am now.

Either that or I'd fly to Canada to talk to you guys.