Still Popular

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:30 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'd just like to say its really nice to see that these forums haven't died yet. I guess Cave Story still has its touch! I remember playing it for the first time years ago, at the age of 11 (or 10?). It was the first indie game I'd ever played, and it had me enthralled. Pixel kind of became my hero, and he's probably the reason I got into making video games.

What was your first Cave Story experience? Has it impacted your life in any way?

Attachments

• 2196803-cstory1.jpg
    2196803-cstory1.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 3
Jun 22, 2016 at 11:50 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I bought it on the DSi online shop and fell in love with it. I then bought every other port of the game.

Jun 23, 2016 at 1:03 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I got a DSi XL as my first video game device when I was 9. When I got it I went on the eshop and looked through the games. Cave Story was the only one that looked interesting, so I downloaded it. I had a lot of fun with it and then proceeded to get other ports of the game.

Jun 23, 2016 at 7:38 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Yeah it's interesting; in some respects, I feel like the forums slowly veer away from being more about the game itself, but Cave Story still remains at the centre of it all. Like with modding and stuff.

My first experience with Cave Story was with the soundtrack. The music drew me in to finding out more about the game, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Because I downloaded the deluxe version at the time, I discovered ORG Maker and started messing around with that a lot. And ultimately that led me to finding about the forums, and using PxTone. I guess, in a sense, Cave Story has impacted my love for composing music.

Jun 23, 2016 at 10:44 AM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
What was your first Cave Story experience? Has it impacted your life in any way?

well i'd probably have killed myself numerous times without these forums so i guess it's a good thing i came here

my first cave story experience was back in the good ol' age of december 2014. a short, internet-less break was coming up and i really needed games to play
so i was searching up "freeware games" because I'm poor and lo and behold i found cave story
something about the graphics did it for me. it was just... so unlike most things i'd seen at that point.
in a way, cave story helped me evolve as an artist.
it's hilarious.
so anyway after downloading the game + a manual i played it for a while until april 2014, where i finally regained internet and joined these merry forums
the rest is known to those who know

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:24 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I don't quite remember how I found it, but my dad was looking for some free games to keep us occupied. He found this along with a bunch of other stuff. At the time, I was about 8. For a long time, I couldn't get past Egg Corridor, and the internet to me was some big and scary place, so it never occurred to me to look up a walkthrough. Later I thought of that, and played the whole thing, and played it again, and again. I tried doing everything. I played it inside out. I haven't been able to play the different ports, but the game and everything about it became an obsession. It was the first full-fledged, fleshed out game I had played, compared to the little minigames I had been playing for so long. I soon found this forum, and gradually I tried other games too, to broaden my horizons, but nothing really came close. Slowly, I sort of lost that zeal, but it's still close to my heart. Cave Story indirectly led to a lot of development of my character, and I thank Pixel and everyone here for everything.

Jun 25, 2016 at 7:39 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
i found it through quotezuma fanfics on deviantart

Jul 30, 2016 at 6:16 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I found it because I wanted to play a game, but my PC was shit at the time.
The rest was history.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2016 at 10:09 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Cave Story was the first game i bought on steam. I've heard of it because in another indie game, terraria, I've obtained quote's cap. I checked it out on wiki to see how rare it is, and it said that it's probably inspired by Cave Story. So I checked that out too. When i first saw the screenshots and title, I thought that it's a survival/dungeon crawler XD, because i saw blocks and caves. I bought it just to see what is it. and oh my, it got me! On the first playthrough, i got the worst ending, of course. I thought 'welp, that doesn't satisfy me, but i guess it's author's fault. A year later I found Cave Story on 3DS eshop, and it made me think of the ending. I googled it, and I've realised that there's more that one ending, of course. So yeah, i bought the 3DS version (not the 3D one), and started playing. In my opinion, 3DS version is a lot better due to the controls and 3D, of course. It took me a year to do literally everything in this game. So thanks terraria! You showed me one of the most epick games of all time, and definitely the one with the best story!
P.S. sorry for such a long post, I doubt that someone has read all that :p
P.S.2 also sorry for my bad english, I'm from Poland and I'm still learning.

Aug 6, 2016 at 8:25 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Yeah, i was suprised, too, when I came back to this forum after many months. It only prooves that CS is a great game. I'm still a fan of it, and it's definitely in my top 10. God, it's probably in my top 3.

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:12 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
When I was 10 or so, my brother downloaded the demo off the Wii Shop Channel, I played it, and I went, "Hey, this is kinda fun". I bought the DSiWare port on the 3DS eShop and became obsessed with the game. I then bought every port I could get my hands on, made fan art in school, and it was basically my favorite game ever. There was a time when I knew basically everything about the game. You could ask me to recite the whole script and I could. I guess you could say it's impacted my life in a way.

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:43 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I downloaded the demo on the Wii Shop one day, when I was like, 7. I hadn't touched it until I was 9. When I did eventually play it, I beat the demo. I was like, "That was cool." and eventually came to download the original Freeware version. I'm playing the Freeware version for the third time. It impacts my life because it brought my friends that were far from me closer. It's a great game, and I still love it.

Aug 7, 2016 at 1:55 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Aug 8, 2016 at 7:47 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Backstory : I saw a cool fan made cover for it online and saved it to my Google drive back in 2009. Then years later after I forgot I saved it I actually played it. But that's besides the point...

It became my favorite game because it hit me emotionally when I was going through some stuff. It made me feel like no matter how hard and depressing crap gets you just need to gather the willpower to press through it (That was the cheesiest thing I ever said and I promise I will never say it again I swear).

Don't get me wrong the final level is like getting a power drill shoved into your dick but when I finally beat it I felt like I could do anything. And it was so worth it to avenge Toroko and King. It was one of the most uplifting gaming experiences I have ever had and I don't think any game will ever be able to recreate that feeling.