Still don't get it.

Jul 1, 2007 at 9:19 PM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Cool. So the Mimigas on the island aren't wiped out. I still have no idea what they are, but I won't bother finding out. I'll just wait for a sequel. Or a movie. Or one of those weird movie/sequels like Advent Children.

Jul 1, 2007 at 9:21 PM
Guy with Sword
X-Calibar said:
*SPOILER* highlight to reveal
If the island falls, perhaps Ballos is released from his imprisonment; or perhaps the effects Ballos has will begin to spread across the land, like a bad seed. Over time it could really become a serious problem even if Ballos is still imprisoned..!
Also, yes; I sure would imagine that the island should be majorly damaged. From the tragic looking end scenes showing the pictures of the places you visit as it shakes to pieces...

sounds like the makings of a sequel.

Jul 2, 2007 at 2:53 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
A sequel from Pixel? Nah. A mod? Sure.

And no, I don't think the Mimigas have started their attack - most of the Mimigas are hanging out in the Doctor's lab, and he's busy working on the Red Crystal.

As for destroying the island, the first time they fight the Core it seems to be an accident - even Misery pops up and says something in the general area of, "Do you even know what you've done? This thing holds the island up!". The second time is more of a planned out, this is the only way to stop the crown from being evil thing. And even then I don't see how simply falling to the ground can completely destroy it. It'll do quite a bit of damage, but the ending scenes for the normal ending really point against total destruction.

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:06 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I believe the mimigas were genetically made by humans, I also believe that the island was created by the humans because the earth was too "over-populated", then they made a floating island and turned mimigas into their servants, then strange biochemical flowers had grown in the ground, maybe they appeared because the humans experiences or because a scientist mimiga planted them. Dr. Gero and the nurse was "failed" experiments and then they were thrown in the trash heap of the island. And all the monsters were made by the humans, to try stopping the raging mimigas. The odd thing is that I don't know it was "really" Jenka who made the island, maybe her and Ballos came from a parallel dimension, and then Jenka saw the island.

I bet this ain't true. But I'm bored, that's why I wrote all this bull****. Maybe...

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:38 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I doubt there even exists a backstory besides the little bits and pieces that are revealed in CS. And even then, what you do find out in the game is, at times, illogical and contradictive.

Jul 3, 2007 at 7:08 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Hmmm, somebody should replace the Doctor with Dr. Gero sprites.. And Misery... with the Nurse... I mean, we already know Balrog makes a good nurse :p

As for the story, it's pretty open ended; and one of the biggest challenges for me has been figuring out the "best" conclusions when writing the prequel...
For instance, at one point I had this neat idea to sort of explain the deathtrap enemies... Was going to use them as an interesting way that the robots were ... "delivered" to the island. I pictured a Mimiga town on the surface, having just a normal day, until suddenly a deathtrap falls from the sky. Doesn't hit anyone or anything, but they go to inspect it... That's when they start raining down... and robots emerge from the deathtraps...!
Miakid and the big Machines would come in the Big Deathtrap....
I hadn't worked it all out, but I was going to explain how the Big Deathtrap ended up above the statue room. And where Ballos fits in...
All of this was blown out of the water completely when I played through again, and noticed in the credits the Big Deathtrap is referred to as an Ancient Machine or something... if I recall correctly.

Every little detail paints a completely different picture..!

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:50 AM
Guy with Sword
Osmose said:
And even then I don't see how simply falling to the ground can completely destroy it. It'll do quite a bit of damage, but the ending scenes for the normal ending really point against total destruction.

Seriously, have you ever seen a skyscraper fall over? there's nothing left of it by the time the dust settles. This things a freakin' landmass! This isn't your cat- it doesn't land on it's feet.

Speaking of which, why does monster X turn into a cat? I never figured that out.

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:58 AM
Guy with Sword
X-Calibar said:
one of the biggest challenges for me has been figuring out the "best" conclusions when writing the prequel...

Idea came to me: best prequel is a sequel.

Have Quote be living with Sue and them, and over a short series of events he somehow regains his memories, his initial purpose, and the leading up to his 10 years of unconsciousness.

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:03 AM
"..."
No, it lands on its bottom, according to the ending pictures. :p

A skyscraper is a horrible example because when a skyscraper falls it doesn't fall over to the side, it falls on itself. Of course, the nature of the skyscrape means that even if it did fall on its side it would still probably break apart entirely.

Disregarding that this is a work of fiction, a floating island would be a fairly big landmass. It falling would probably cause massive damage, especially to the surface - the mountain on top would probably crumble and rock slides would block of a lot of the caves on the inside, let alone collapse them, but there is nothing saying that it most definitely has to fall apart completely. If an airplane does a crash landing into the ground and doesn't slide or flip or anything, but just hits the ground and plants itself there, there will be destroyed parts of the plane, but there will be parts that hold up together too - probably a decent-sized part of the midsection would be damaged but intact, among other parts.

In Sonic, Angel Island falls to the ocean and floats there whenever the Master Emerald is gone. The island doesn't get destroyed or anything, it just floats there (And due to crappy rendering of the main part, it does in fact float in the air because the developers are too lazy to put water there even though the cutscene clearly shows it falling into the water). There is certainly enough evidence to point that the island could have possibly survived intact in many parts.

EDIT: I think a sequel should involve the normal ending, going back to revive Curly (Booster develops a method of curing even the most water-damaged robots!), and eventually having to deal with Ballos, since he was never defeared. :p

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:50 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Who says how fast the island fell?
It could have come down very slowly for all we know, although the falling blocks give the impression that it's coming to pieces on the way down.

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:13 AM
Guy with Sword
Osmose said:
No, it lands on its bottom, according to the ending pictures. :p

A skyscraper is a horrible example because when a skyscraper falls it doesn't fall over to the side, it falls on itself. Of course, the nature of the skyscrape means that even if it did fall on its side it would still probably break apart entirely.

Disregarding that this is a work of fiction, a floating island would be a fairly big landmass. It falling would probably cause massive damage, especially to the surface - the mountain on top would probably crumble and rock slides would block of a lot of the caves on the inside, let alone collapse them, but there is nothing saying that it most definitely has to fall apart completely. If an airplane does a crash landing into the ground and doesn't slide or flip or anything, but just hits the ground and plants itself there, there will be destroyed parts of the plane, but there will be parts that hold up together too - probably a decent-sized part of the midsection would be damaged but intact, among other parts.

In Sonic, Angel Island falls to the ocean and floats there whenever the Master Emerald is gone. The island doesn't get destroyed or anything, it just floats there (And due to crappy rendering of the main part, it does in fact float in the air because the developers are too lazy to put water there even though the cutscene clearly shows it falling into the water). There is certainly enough evidence to point that the island could have possibly survived intact in many parts.

EDIT: I think a sequel should involve the normal ending, going back to revive Curly (Booster develops a method of curing even the most water-damaged robots!), and eventually having to deal with Ballos, since he was never defeared. :p

OK, three things:

1) Airplanes hit the ground going forward at like 600 miles an hour. They don;t just stop, they slide and hit stuff. Unless they hit the ground nose first. (ouch)

2) There is no water under th island for it to land in. There are trees. If there is water behind the trees, it must be something little like a lake.

3) Why the #^$% are we talking about whether or not islands go crunch when they hit the ground? Somewhere along the line, someone pointed out that there's no one on the island left to get smashed. Except for Malco, but nobody likes him.

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:20 AM
Guy with Sword
Osmose said:

Depends on the original ending. In some endings, Ballos dies. That's the problem with alternate endings, they leave no room for sequels.

There's a surprisingly large lack of fan art on the internet over Cave Story. I put
洞窟物語 (cave story in Japanese) into Google and got even less. Kind of sad. Although it's also kind of sad that I bothered to look up cave story in Japanese as well. But that's a different story. :p

Jul 10, 2007 at 1:13 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Atravir said:
OK, three things:

1) Airplanes hit the ground going forward at like 600 miles an hour. They don;t just stop, they slide and hit stuff. Unless they hit the ground nose first. (ouch)

2) There is no water under th island for it to land in. There are trees. If there is water behind the trees, it must be something little like a lake.

3) Why the #^$% are we talking about whether or not islands go crunch when they hit the ground? Somewhere along the line, someone pointed out that there's no one on the island left to get smashed. Except for Malco, but nobody likes him.

the games not real life so anything can happen :p

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:11 AM
Guy with Sword
Yeah, good point. Wait, what were we talking about to begin with? Oh yeah, Mimigas. And something about explosions.

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:16 AM
"..."
Atravir said:
OK, three things:

1.Airplanes hit the ground in a variety of ways, depending on what happens, there's certainly room for situations where the plane is able to land in a forest, use the trees to slow the plane down, and possibly push up into a huge mound of earth.

2.How do you know? The islands falls behind some mountains in the background. There could be trees, there could be a lake, there could be sand, there could be a black hole, etc.

3. Except for Malco, Jenka, the Gaudis, the Mimigas (As we don't know if they *all* got on the Helicopter), the Tiny Family, the Gunsmith, Ballos (Since if the island crashes Ballos is still alive), the Cthulhu people, the various robots hanging around the labyrinth. We know the Mimigas are still on the island because they're all in cages when you fight the Doctor and probably couldn't all fit on the helicopter.

4.About the sequel, that's why I specifically mentioned that it took place after the normal, non-Ballos, non-run-away-on-sky-dragon ending.

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:17 AM
Guy with Sword
Osmose said:
We know the Mimigas are still on the island because they're all in cages when you fight the Doctor and probably couldn't all fit on the helicopter.

Yes, but when you are leaving, they are all gone. My guess is either they have been rescued or are terrorizing the countryside as mutants. Until the island crashes and they all turn back to normal.

This argument could go on and on and on. The point is, the island hits the ground. From there, whatever is on it is either dead, trapped in a cave, or escaping the island to go do whatever.

Jul 11, 2007 at 7:30 AM
"..."
Atravir said:
Yes, but when you are leaving, they are all gone. My guess is either they have been rescued or are terrorizing the countryside as mutants. Until the island crashes and they all turn back to normal.

This argument could go on and on and on. The point is, the island hits the ground. From there, whatever is on it is either dead, trapped in a cave, or escaping the island to go do whatever.

But isn't it slightly entertaining to talk about our theories? :p

I don't think they would have turned into frenzied Mimigas because they are all normal when you get there. You killed the Doctor, who would've fed them the Red Flowers?

Jul 11, 2007 at 11:04 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Osmose said:
But isn't it slightly entertaining to talk about our theories? :p

I don't think they would have turned into frenzied Mimigas because they are all normal when you get there. You killed the Doctor, who would've fed them the Red Flowers?

chicken little? :p

sorry felt like saying that

maybe if it was disguised as a poppy flower?
and maybe mimigas like poppy flowers?

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:50 AM
Guy with Sword
Doctor's not gone yet. He's still a creepy formless mass when you beat him. And he probably sent them all off to the surface while you have that chat with Misery. He still has the red crystal, which makes them mutant-ish.

And yes it is entertaining. And in a way that's really sad. Oh well.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:28 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
When does it say that the Mimiga Village is on the Island that floats in the sky the only time you can confirm that you are onthe island is the plantation and thus the Egg Corridor. The rest of the time you use Teleporters. The Mimiga Village can be on the surface of the planet, well underground the surface of the planet.