Spur and the Snake

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:24 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I so far have only beaten Cave Story with only the Spur and Machine Gun and I have never used the Snake. I never even hear anybody talk about it in these Forums, so for quick reference, is the Snake comparable to the Spur/ Machine Gun?

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:25 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Yes, the Snake is great, and I prefer it over the Machine Gun. I've always liked the Spur more, but the Snake makes the Core easy, so I have gotten the Snake more. Plus it gives you an advantage in the Sacred Grounds.

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:30 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Cool, I'll use it on my next playthrough.

Jan 31, 2011 at 9:42 AM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I really didn't bother with the Snake but on my last play through I was amazed. it really is a good weapon :')

Jan 31, 2011 at 10:01 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I prefer the Spur and the machine gun over the Snake. The Snake is awesome though.

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:19 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Only used the Snake when I had to in one of the hacks here. Once my dad gives my DS back I'll try the Snake out though :3

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:13 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Pros of the Snake:
shoots through walls
makes boss fights between it's acquisition and the final bosses way easier
snipe butes in hell in the third area
DPS.
Pros of the Spur:
Monstrous Damage
Whimsical Star can get most of the same targets you would use the Snake to snipe, albiet if you're much more patient
cuts through enemies, therefore is very useful in some parts where there are multiple enemies in a row
makes ALL bossfights pre-Hell very easy
also, frickin laser beams, man.

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:57 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I was never a huge fan for weapons that can level-down easily. In fact, the only weapons I ever use are Blade and Spur.

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:59 AM
Pirate Member
WoodenRat said:
I was never a huge fan for weapons that can level-down easily. In fact, the only weapons I ever use are Blade Lv2 and Spur.
fix'd.
but yeah, the Spur with the Whimsical Star would be your best choice for Hell runs
get the Nemmy if you get hit a lot too, cause it's monster DPS at Lv1

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:33 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
WoodenRat said:
I was never a huge fan for weapons that can level-down easily. In fact, the only weapons I ever use are Blade and Spur.

The Blade levels down the easiest of any weapon besides the Nemesis, though. :confused:

Malpercio said:
fix'd.
but yeah, the Spur with the Whimsical Star would be your best choice for Hell runs
get the Nemmy if you get hit a lot too, cause it's monster DPS at Lv1

While I haven't done Sacred Ground with the Snake, I believe it's a bit faster for a speedrun, because you can activate a couple of Deleets through walls and thus save waiting time.

The Spur+Whimsical Star's certainly better for not dying, though, especially against Ballos (where button-mashing the Nemesis or Missiles takes attention away from avoiding damage).

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:47 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Yes, I ment to say I used the second level of Blade.

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:08 AM
"..."
WoodenRat said:
Yes, I ment to say I used the second level of Blade.

Ah, I see.

I use the third more, mostly because a) it looks cool, b) I can't stave off the compulsion to pick up the shiny energy crystals, c) it does well against Monster X.

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:50 PM
Pirate Member
i use the second level because a) I have better places to put my energy crystals. b) it's awesome. c) it rapes Monster X.

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:40 AM
"..."
Malpercio said:
i use the second level because a) I have better places to put my energy crystals. b) it's awesome. c) it rapes Monster X.

Depends. The level 3 Blade kills an awful lot of the shots MX fires. It's also far superior if attempting to kill it without damage, because you can fire one shot and then run.

Also, what better places? It's not like there's a black wind at the start of the Labyrinth.

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:32 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Just beat the game with the Snake w/ best ending, Nemesis helped more than the Snake, which is a dissapointment.

Feb 10, 2011 at 8:31 AM
"..."
Tpcool said:
Just beat the game with the Snake w/ best ending, Nemesis helped more than the Snake, which is a dissapointment.

Well, yeah.

When people say that the Snake helps in Sacred Ground, they mean that it helps your time if speedrunning thanks to shooting Deleets through walls.

That's it. The Spur is far better for simply getting through the level.

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:36 AM
Pirate Member
Polar Star, Missiles, Fireball, if any of the three even need leveling. throughout the rest of the time between kill Monster X and get Spur, i know i put a lot of use on that Missile Launcher. the Blade takes so much effort to keep at Lv3 anyway, vs. a huge delevel buffer between 2 and 1 that imo makes Lv2 superior to Lv3.
besides, it's still not too hard to dodge damage using Lv2 blade if you sit and spam on him.

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:49 AM
"..."
Malpercio said:
Polar Star, Missiles, Fireball, if any of the three even need leveling. throughout the rest of the time between kill Monster X and get Spur, i know i put a lot of use on that Missile Launcher. the Blade takes so much effort to keep at Lv3 anyway, vs. a huge delevel buffer between 2 and 1 that imo makes Lv2 superior to Lv3.
besides, it's still not too hard to dodge damage using Lv2 blade if you sit and spam on him.

Ah. Indeed, the Blade takes a fair bit of work to keep at level 3, but in-between you've got the level 2, which is still good, as you point out.

And, I mean, it's not like the Blade sucks at level 1, either.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:05 AM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Ive never been able to beat cave story without the snake.You see i think i heard somewhere the snake does more damage per second with some button machine skills it easily rivals the spur.Also in this section of the hell stage well ill use a text map.

B=Butes
a=small archers
w=wall
s=spike
w B a wwwww
w www a w
w a wwwww
www a w
w a wwwwww
www a w
w wwww
sss
BsssB

You can easily snipe the two rightmost archers (sorry if my map sucks first time i ever used text to make a map).And you have to charge the spur to do that huge damage.I like a weapon that i can react quickly with the snake i can do great damage to anyone with button mashing (or on my case key mashing).And to do great damage the whole laser you fire with the spur has to pierce through the enemy for maximum damage.

p.s:Just incase sorry if you notice any mistakes with the grammar.

edit:If anyone would be kind enough to fix my map up id appreciate it as i suck on this area of text so please help me.and yea.

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:41 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I will always use the Spur on future playthroughs.
Spur can:
Kill enemies, with charging lag.
Destroy bosses, with charging lag.
Dosen't level down.

Snake:
Goes through walls.
Impressive damage.
Levels down.

So what I'm basically trying to say is, is that Snake is better for speedrunning, the Spur is better all-around.

Marx said:
Ive never been able to beat cave story without the snake.You see i think i heard somewhere the snake does more damage per second with some button machine skills it easily rivals the spur.Also in this section of the hell stage well ill use a text map.

B=Butes
a=small archers
w=wall
s=spike
w B a wwwww
w www a w
w a wwwww
www a w
w a wwwwww
www a w
w wwww
sss
BsssB

You can easily snipe the two rightmost archers (sorry if my map sucks first time i ever used text to make a map).And you have to charge the spur to do that huge damage.I like a weapon that i can react quickly with the snake i can do great damage to anyone with button mashing (or on my case key mashing).And to do great damage the whole laser you fire with the spur has to pierce through the enemy for maximum damage.

p.s:Just incase sorry if you notice any mistakes with the grammar.

edit:If anyone would be kind enough to fix my map up id appreciate it as i suck on this area of text so please help me.and yea.

I can tell what part that is, and you can just get hit by an arrow or one of the Butes to avoid getting killed by the lower spike, instead of wasting your time with the bomb above.