SPOT Discussion

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:11 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Can you make satlounge posts count if you decide that the spot is going to be the only trashbin of the forums?

As for the issue at hand, I also think that there should be zero thread creation in the spot.

Oct 7, 2011 at 3:28 AM
So would this thread, which I made in the SPOT and no one moved, be suitable for the Satellite Lounge? If someone makes a thread that's not judged worthy of the Satellounge, then a mod has to move it, which is just more work for them. We should make a general no-topic thread, and then let everyone know why it's there.
I don't know why you guys hate the SPOT so much. You all post in it. If people want to talk about SPOTty stuff, and we have a forum for it, why not let them make threads in it? That's kind of the purpose of a forum. Sometimes people want directed conversation that's not suitable for the Lounge. So make the general off-topicness thread, but don't disable thread creation. It will force people to make those threads in the Satellite Lounge, which will be just as much work for the mods.

Oct 7, 2011 at 2:29 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Captain Fabulous said:
So would this thread, which I made in the SPOT and no one moved, be suitable for the Satellite Lounge?
I would say yes. It's silly, but it does have a topic. My thought is that the SPOT would be for things that have no topic, or for sections of on-topic threads that have gotten wildly off topic to be moved to. I would say the only condition for something to be worthy of the Satellite Lounge would be that it has to have a topic, but it doesn't have to be a particularly serious/thoughtful topic. So by that definition, "directed conversation that's not suitable for the Lounge" would be an oxymoron.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:01 PM
Alright I'm cool with that.
If you guys really hate the SPOT that much.

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:22 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Wedge of Cheese said:
How about this - we disable new threads in the spot, and have a single stickied thread there for random dicking around
I'm pretty sure it isn't possible to set up forum sections in this matter - either you can post in them or you can't.

Can someone maybe explain to me why they think this wasn't covered by the rule update? If someone wants to make a thread in the SPOT rather than somewhere else that's kind of their decision, and it's now specifically stated that the SPOT doesn't allow blatant shitposting. As for trashy threads, having a dedicated place for them isn't exactly going to stop their creation, so I don't see much of a point in that.

I think we are, again, getting too wrapped up in the name rather than thinking of changing it to something more appropriate >_>

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:45 PM
graters gonna grate
DoubleThink said:
I'm pretty sure it isn't possible to set up forum sections in this matter - either you can post in them or you can't.
Oh, phooey :awesomeface:

Can someone maybe explain to me why they think this wasn't covered by the rule update? If someone wants to make a thread in the SPOT rather than somewhere else that's kind of their decision, and it's now specifically stated that the SPOT doesn't allow blatant shitposting. As for trashy threads, having a dedicated place for them isn't exactly going to stop their creation, so I don't see much of a point in that.

I think we are, again, getting too wrapped up in the name rather than thinking of changing it to something more appropriate >_>
Eh, the main thing that was annoying me was that people kept making serious threads in the SPOT, when I was under the impression that that was what the Satellite Lounge was for.

Here's an alternative idea: rather than have the less serious forum be a subforum of the more serious one, have it the other way around - having a subforum of the Satellite Lounge called "Serious Business". I think that would make the meanings of each of the forums clearer.

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM
I believe that idea was shot down in this thread, but I do think it's a good idea.

Oct 9, 2011 at 6:55 PM
graters gonna grate
Oh, and to answer my own question, currently posts count everywhere except satellite, spot, and forum games (they do count in media). In my new suggestion, the serious forum would probably count too.