ShooTing Game Tournament '11 Hype and Recruitment Thread - READ LATEST POST

Jul 3, 2011 at 2:10 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Re: So many bullets.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
That's because that's what most of Touhou is, it's a game that focuses on bullet density rather than speed {Most of the time}; hence why it's referred to as a Bullet Curtain game.
A good Touhou player knows that real dodging requires little movement. That said, that no where makes it simple or easy, just try an Extra Stage and see how far you get.
The real skill comes in being able to see the entire screen at once and take in all that information constantly while making split-second micro-decisions non-stop, knowing that even the tiniest slip will end it all for you. Just because you're weaving through pretty patterns instead of rapid dodging means very little difference in required skills, if you think about it.
TVTropes points it out best, this is about as close as you'll ever get to having enough Dakka.

I know it's supposed to be like that buddy, I'm just saying I'm not a fan, is that a crime?
I've played touhou games enough to understand how to play them and how the required skills differ, and also that I do not enjoy it.

Also good dodging in pretty much any shmup requires little movement, it's all about staying in safe spots and making small movements to herd bullets.

Jul 3, 2011 at 2:31 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
But yes, it is.

Yakkers said:
I know it's supposed to be like that buddy, I'm just saying I'm not a fan, is that a crime?
I've played touhou games enough to understand how to play them and how the required skills differ, and also that I do not enjoy it.

Also good dodging in pretty much any shmup requires little movement, it's all about staying in safe spots and making small movements to herd bullets.
Nah, I was refering to the
Yakkers said:
In TAOHAO it feels like I'm weaving though a latticework of little shiny things while keeping my character lined up with an icon on the bottom rather than actually shooting things and dodging bullets.
part. You made it sound a lot simpler than it is, {And you wouldn't believe how much you'd hate trying to play without the 'follow the little icon' part} while sounding a bit unsure.

Jul 3, 2011 at 3:50 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Re: ShooTing Game Tournament '11 Hype and Recruitment Thread

I've gained some respect for Touhou since I realised that looking pretty is all bullet hell is good for and that the fanbase has nothing to do with the actual games

Also I haven't played any plain Raiden games but the Raiden Fighters series makes me want to murder things viciously

Jul 3, 2011 at 3:58 AM
meep

DoubleThink said:
I've gained some respect for Touhou since I realised that looking pretty is all bullet hell is good for and that the fanbase has nothing to do with the actual games

Also I haven't played any plain Raiden games but the Raiden Fighters series makes me want to murder things viciously

The first one is easily emulated on MAME, the second and third have downloadable PC versions and the fourth is only on Xbox 360.
Fourth is my favorite, I really wish there was a PC version so I could play with a keyboard instead of joystick.

I played some of the Raiden Fighters games, they weren't my bag.

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:40 AM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"

I certainly enjoy this and would love to take part

but I can't

deal with it

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:58 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

Bamp

The current potential team list appears to be
Me
Yakkers
Lowell?
Omega?
Jethawk?
That one guy I know??
Noxid??

I'd like to get this mostly finalised by the end of next week, so please confirm your position soon. Note that there's still plenty of space for new applicants too!!!

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:50 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

Okay, I'd better wrap up the team registration ASAP. Looks like the team is the same as it was in the last post; everyone has gotten back to me except for Lowell, so for now I'll sign him up since there's still a chance to make any late changes.

READ ALL OF THIS

I need to sign you all up for the team over on the site, using the names you will be submitting scores with for the tournament, as the scoring is updated using a parsing program. If you don't want to sign up I can submit your scores for you, but if you do then please let me know if you want to use a different username to the one you have on this site.

This is the information I'll need from all of you to sign up the team; again, if you want anything changed, please let me know in the short term.

Code:
Username: DoubleThink
Region: Australia
Expected # Week Participation: 5

Username: Yakkers
Region: USA

Username: VoidMage_Lowell
Region: USA
Expected # Week Participation: ???

Username: Marx/Omega (please specify)
Region: Puerto Rico

Username: JetHawk95
Region: Britain

Username: Noxid
Region: Canada

Username: Crankypants
Region: Australia

Oi'm excoited :D

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:44 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova

register me as Omega The Echidna.

edit: and so far in my training with super c i havent beaten the final stage but got dang close and have developed a sort of strategy that sometimes gets me through the first stage without getting hit. tip: if you look at arcade super c faqs from gamefaqs one of them tells you to switch the spread for the crash. Dont, i found the spread to be much better. as you play the game you should by nature develop a strategy that will breeze you through the level.

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:23 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Will do.

Also note that registering on the forums and registering for the tournament aren't the same thing; the former is up to each of you individually, while for the latter I'll do a batch signup for the team in a few days.

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:40 PM
I have registered in the shmup forums: username
Omega The Echidna

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Jul 20, 2011 at 6:44 PM
meep
For the sake of simplicity, just keep me as Yakkers. I also registered on the site under the same name.
I'm excited for this.

Jul 23, 2011 at 3:12 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Okay well I couldn't wait any longer so the team is now signed up. Like I said I can still make changes, but that will probably only happen in Lowell shows up in the next couple of days and decides he wants absolutely out. Official team tourney thread incoming shortly :muscledoc:

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:23 PM
sweet.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:42 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Okay, Marx has had to quit and none of my friends' friends are interested, so there's a free slot open but only if someone wants in absolutely ASAP. I'll offer the spot until Wednesday (American time). Any later than that and there won't be any time for them to play this week.