Sandwiches: the thread

Apr 27, 2013 at 5:06 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Pronouns: he/him
SANDWICH SHARERS!
I have found a most wonderful image with suggestions for all sorts of gourmet sandwich combos. Please enjoy and post results / reviews if you try any of these
(spoiler for large image)
p151511-0-jcaw33u.jpg

Apr 27, 2013 at 5:18 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Bacon, onion, mushroom, hollandaise sauce, and cheese toasted sandwich. I custom ordered it (it wasn't on the menu) from a place near my work and it was amazing.

Oh and regarding that BALT, this place used to stock this amazing sandwich called the BLAT, which is a similar concept to the BALT listed above, but is so much cooler to say, so it is better by default. ;)

Polaris said:
american cheese
Pass. -_-

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:16 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Noxid, you just made me very hungry. It's not hard to do, actually. A question, though: What does one eat on the last day of a month that has 31 days?

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:54 AM
Professional Whatever
Pronouns: she/her
go to mcdonald's

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:00 AM
Based Member
andwhyisit said:
american cheese
Pass. -_-
Okay sorry for my somewhat randomness, but I think this is slightly relevant because we're on the topic of sandwiches and American cheese.

As of late whenever we've gone to a Subway, and a Indian is making our order, they're almost always wanting to push American cheese on us. We're not sure if it's cheaper and they're trying to make us use up the cheaper cheese and save money, or if they think they're appealing to us by offering us the kind of cheese as our own nationality. We first came across this Indian guy who, instead of asking what kind of cheese we wanted on our subs, asked, "American cheese?" to each of us as we ordered. And then later my mom and I went to another Subway, and in our individual orders, a different Indian guy first asked us "American cheese?" instead of asking us what kind of cheese we want (we had a hard time suppressing our laughter this time around). The second guy didn't insist quite as passionately as the first, but it's clear that there's some sort of conspiracy regarding American cheese going on among Indians working at Subways in America.

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
HaydenStudios said:
Okay sorry for my somewhat randomness, but I think this is slightly relevant because we're on the topic of sandwiches and American cheese.

As of late whenever we've gone to a Subway, and a Indian is making our order, they're almost always wanting to push American cheese on us. We're not sure if it's cheaper and they're trying to make us use up the cheaper cheese and save money, or if they think they're appealing to us by offering us the kind of cheese as our own nationality. We first came across this Indian guy who, instead of asking what kind of cheese we wanted on our subs, asked, "American cheese?" to each of us as we ordered. And then later my mom and I went to another Subway, and in our individual orders, a different Indian guy first asked us "American cheese?" instead of asking us what kind of cheese we want (we had a hard time suppressing our laughter this time around). The second guy didn't insist quite as passionately as the first, but it's clear that there's some sort of conspiracy regarding American cheese going on among Indians working at Subways in America.
Alright take into consideration some things hayden.

1) What cheese is the most likely cheese for someone to want on their sandwich? I don't really eat at subway ever, nor do I live in the states (which is the only place I've ever seen american cheese), but for the sake of my argument, I will assume that most Americans get american cheese.

2) As you said, this is a trend among Indian people. Given that you have identified them as indians, I will assume they are first generation indians (they were born in india and not the states). And since they were originally from India, english is probably not their mother tongue, so they might not be as familiar with it as me or you.

3) Which of the following sentences is easier to ask in a language you don't know? "(Specific Noun)?" or "What kind of (Noun) would you like?"? I would argue that the first is much easier to form without making any kind of mistakes, mistakes that would be easy to make if you weren't familiar with the language you were trying to communicate in.

From these 3 points I would argue that possibly the reason Indians are asking "American cheese?" is because it is a simpler question to ask, and it is the most likely choice. Asking "what kind of cheese would you like?" might be harder for them if english is not their first language, and maybe it's a cultural thing as well (like maybe that's not how they ask things in India, I don't really know though this is just a possibility). So I wouldn't be quick to jump to the conclusion that they are "pushing" american cheese on you to satisfy ulterior motives.

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Someone left a burning cross with "AMERICAN CHEESE" inscribed on it in my front lawn :muscledoc:

I mean, seriously, I don't even like American cheese very much. Denny's does.

Nevertheless, I'll probably have to go back and edit those posts lest I be assassinated by the CCC ;~;

On the subject of those sandwiches, I'll have to try one sometime. They look good. :3

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
What cheese is the most likely cheese for someone to want on their sandwich? I don't really eat at subway ever, nor do I live in the states (which is the only place I've ever seen american cheese), but for the sake of my argument, I will assume that most Americans get american cheese.
Tasty Cheese (Cheddar) is your general all purpose cheese where I live. Though I occasionally love to get my hands on some vintage cheeses, as they are both smooth and rich in taste.

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Based Member
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
1) What cheese is the most likely cheese for someone to want on their sandwich? I don't really eat at subway ever, nor do I live in the states (which is the only place I've ever seen american cheese), but for the sake of my argument, I will assume that most Americans get american cheese.
American cheese is kind of like cheddar, except it usually tastes a bit more manufactured. I, and most people I know, either prefer Swiss, or provolone cheese.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
2) As you said, this is a trend among Indian people. Given that you have identified them as indians, I will assume they are first generation indians (they were born in india and not the states). And since they were originally from India, english is probably not their mother tongue, so they might not be as familiar with it as me or you.

3) Which of the following sentences is easier to ask in a language you don't know? "(Specific Noun)?" or "What kind of (Noun) would you like?"? I would argue that the first is much easier to form without making any kind of mistakes, mistakes that would be easy to make if you weren't familiar with the language you were trying to communicate in.

From these 3 points I would argue that possibly the reason Indians are asking "American cheese?" is because it is a simpler question to ask, and it is the most likely choice. Asking "what kind of cheese would you like?" might be harder for them if english is not their first language, and maybe it's a cultural thing as well (like maybe that's not how they ask things in India, I don't really know though this is just a possibility). So I wouldn't be quick to jump to the conclusion that they are "pushing" american cheese on you to satisfy ulterior motives.
While the first point is moot, your next two, and your conclusion are possible I suppose. And perhaps they may default to American cheese under the same assumption you made in part one. I guess to be fair, in between the two Indians who offered American cheese, there was another Indian who asked, naming all of the available types.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
HaydenStudios said:
American cheese is kind of like cheddar, except it usually tastes a bit more manufactured.
Waaay too manufactured. We call it plastic cheese.

Though I remember my sister's old boyfriend and his friend having turns at throwing plastic cheese at each other's exposed chests. They were pretty red when the competition ended.

Apr 28, 2013 at 1:19 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Before anyone jumps down my throat for defending American cheese in any way, I must say that the kind you get fresh from the deli is delicious and creamy tasting. Stuff like Kraft singles is the plastic, rubbery stuff that you want to be throwing at peoples' chests.

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Oooh yeah, Kraft Singles are pretty much the lowest tier in cheeses.

I've never tried American cheese from a deli, so I guess I should at some point. Maybe it really is okay, who knows.
At this point I might as well become your bodyguard in case anyone tries to kill us via assuming we like American cheese. Or maybe you would be my bodyguard, I don't really know.

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:44 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
American Cheese at a Deli is wonderificalous, creamy, and freshly sliced. If you've never had some, you're life is invalid. Everything, like sandwiches and cheese burgers, aren't good without deli American Cheese.

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
>American cheese

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:29 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
>Greentexting on the forums in 2013
>mfw

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Professional Whatever
<= cool

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Yes it was Kraft, and I am aware that it is the lowest tier of all processed cheeses. But it was hilarious to watch.

Back