Replacing a save profile (Mac) (Solved)

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:46 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I can only find threads from many years ago about this, and I think they're outdated.

I have Mac port 0.0.8 from the downloads page on this site. I'm trying to copy/move my current save from the account it's on to a different account on the same Mac.

I tried replacing ~/Library/preferences/com.nakiwo.doukutsu.plist in the second account (saved at the first save-point in-game) with the corresponding file in the account I had been using (saved in the labyrinth), but nothing changed and the game just loaded up like before at the first save-point.
I also tried using the CSC python script (from the Miscellaneous Tools page) and its profile extracting/storing functions but the same thing happenned.
I also tried manually copying and pasting the profile data from one plist file to the other, opening up the plist file and editing it directly, but, once again, nothing changed.
I then noticed that even if I delete the plist file altogether, the game still loads up like normal at the save-point and if I then save again within the game it just re-creates the plist file.
Also, I'm only using one copy of the actual application, located in a Dropbox folder.
I'm being very descriptive because I'm not knowlegable enough to be confident in what information is or isn't pertinent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2016 at 6:01 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
That is... really weird. I'm a mac user that hasn't really messed with the game in awhile, but I could have sworn that ~/Library/preferences/com.nakiwo.doukutsu.plist was where the save data was located.

Have you checked both the root Library folder and the hidden one under the specific User account? That's literally all I can think of because you have me completely stumped (I doubt it's changed since those old threads, so they shouldn't be outdated).

Yeah... I'm going to have to install it again to figure this out.

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:24 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Send me the contents of your 0.8 dmg file in a zip file and upload it (I can't open dmg files, being a windows user and all). If you do that then I will get you the exact path to the save data. From my mod porting efforts with 0.7 I know exactly where to find the save path config in the data files.

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:36 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Send me the contents of your 0.8 dmg file in a zip file and upload it (I can't open dmg files, being a windows user and all). If you do that then I will get you the exact path to the save data. From my mod porting efforts with 0.7 I know exactly where to find the save path config in the data files.
I dragged the file onto the reply window to upload but nothing seems to happen. I also clicked on "Upload a File" and selected it.
It's a 2.9MB zip file. Do new members like me have permission on these forums to upload files?

That is... really weird. I'm a mac user that hasn't really messed with the game in awhile, but I could have sworn that ~/Library/preferences/com.nakiwo.doukutsu.plist was where the save data was located.

Have you checked both the root Library folder and the hidden one under the specific User account? That's literally all I can think of because you have me completely stumped (I doubt it's changed since those old threads, so they shouldn't be outdated).

Yeah... I'm going to have to install it again to figure this out.
Thanks!
It is the correct folder, I'm sure, but let me know if you figure something out or if for some reason replacing the plist file works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2016 at 9:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Just upload it to a file sharing site like dropbox or mediafire and post the link here.

And please don't double-post. The edit button is there for a reason.

Sep 1, 2016 at 1:27 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Hmm.. it seems the filename is unchanged (still "com.nakiwo.Doukutsu.plist"), so I can only assume that the path to the file has changed. Have you tried saving in CS at the start point and then running a search for the generated plist file?

This might help:
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202121

Sep 1, 2016 at 1:46 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ah, thank you. I will try that out when I get home later today, though I did find that file in ~/Library/Preferences, and it did update when saving. But it seems like the app completely ignores the file when loading up a save, that even if I delete the file, it remembers the save somehow, and as such, of course, if I replace it with a new profile, it still loads the old profile. There must be a copy of the file in a different location; perhaps the location where the file is saved in and loaded from was changed, like you said, but the code that creates the file in the old location wasn't removed. Lol I dunno...

Edit:
Ok sorry for not replying, but I had realized that ~/Library/Preferences/com.nakiwo.doukutsu.plist was actually the correct file all along and that something else was wrong.

Basically, in order to make it work, I had to remove/replace the plist file, then restart the computer to clear the RAM and the cache.
I believe that when I save the game and it creates the plist file, the computer stores a temporary copy of the file in the cache and/or in RAM. If I start the game and it doesn't find the file where it's supposed to be, or it finds it to be modified, it gives the game the temporary copy to load up.

Anyway, thanks for replying and trying to help :)

Last edited: