Remove the double posting rule

May 7, 2014 at 6:42 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Regarding the forum rules, there's a section that says:

Don’t double post in an active thread. There is an "Edit" button on all of your posts.
I understand this was an issue in the past, but it seems as though I can make a subsequent post if I'm the last poster and it automatically merges the two posts, which is also evident when some users click the "post" button too many times and end up with four lines of the same text. I also realise there is a workaround to making double posting possible by creating an additional account, but creating additional accounts isn't allowed:

Only one account is allowed per individual. Multiple accounts will be banned/deleted. This includes making a new account after being banned.
It's not that I don't think it's wrong to double post, but isn't it redundant to have this rule instated when it's not possible to do with one account? At least, last I checked, the last post still automatically merged. Or is there another workaround to gaming the system that I'm not aware of?

May 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yeah we never really got around to updating that, seeing as it's technically impossible to dp now we probably don't need it in there anymore, at least not as an absolute

May 7, 2014 at 1:39 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
By making a separate post, not only does it amend itself to the previous one, but it also updates any watch-lists and members' "View New Content" lists. One could benefit from making a Double-post if the information is relevant and a Bump for the thread is deserved.

Simply editing the last post would be the option for avoiding an unnecessary bump.

May 14, 2014 at 1:33 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
There is a chance that the double post auto-merger hook may be incompatible with IPB4 when it finally comes out, so I would like to keep the rule in for now.

May 15, 2014 at 5:04 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Okay.

In the chance that that happens, would double posting be allowed to "bump" a thread that has been inactive for a long while, but you feel you have some valuable information to contribute to? Editing a post, last I checked, doesn't alert users in the posting feed or notifications (if they follow the thread). I don't know if this was allowed before posts were auto merged.

EDIT: NOPE forget what I said; I just finished reviewing my own post, oops. The rule in its current form, however, does give the impression that the posts don't merge.