Regions of Piramidos! (A game i'll make in a couple of years.)

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
No one was angry this whole time. But Mevon was telling people to calm down because he felt people were getting a bit too exited.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This is a bad thing?
I'd say if your thread was dead and you weren't getting feedback that would kinda suck.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I get the feeling you guys are the ones who are getting a bit too excited.
About your project, I mean.

Listen. You can't plan to make a game that has everything in it. That's just impossible.
From FPS to third-person to RTS? Even only ONE of those genres is awfully hard to make. Now not only do you want to do all three (maybe more) of them, but you also have to mash them up together so that they behave correctly with each other, don't glitch out, are relevant to the other mechanics in the game, are aesthetically pleasing, and are all interesting... Just no.
And that's not all.

Aside from the technical prowesses that would require, a game that is merely a mix of every other game just isn't going to be interesting. There are good games out there that are huge references to already existing stuff (Abobo's Big Adventure to say the least) but they all have their own interesting features. You can't just take the story from Pokemon, the battle system(s!) like WoW or Zelda, etc, and expect to be congratulated for having made your "own" game.
Want more?

You can't just decide to make a game by saying "Hey I'm gonna make a game!" without knowing anything about storytelling, game design, level design, programming, music, graphics, production, marketing, project management, and so on. I'm not saying all of those are mandatory (I am totally unskilled in like half of them) but the way you sold your fetus of an idea tells me you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. At least before making any kind of thread/announcement about it, try to have some actual content.
I don't know, like a synopsis, some characters, some art, or some even basic idea of what genre your game will be. Don't just say random stuff like "Ok we're gonna use this story, or wait maybe this one, or wait..." and "We're going to have a Cave Story DLC with the Polar Star!" when you don't have the slightest idea of whatthe finished product is even supposed to look like.
Will it be a platformer? A shoot'em-up? A shooter? A fighting game? A hack'n'slash? A FPS? A RTS? A puzzle game?
Will it be sci-fi? Fantasy? Realistic? Medieval?
How will be the hero? What will they do? Where? When? How? Why? With what and whom? Against what and whom?
Will it be 2D? 3D? 8-bit style? More detailed? Lots of colours? Black and white? Realistic?
Will it be fast-paced? Slow-paced?
Easy? Hard? Modular?
Procedurally-generated? Labyrinthic? Straight-forward?
Those are the kind of questions you are supposed to ask yourselves, and actually answer to, before even thinking of talking about your game. Because before that, it's not a game. It's just a sterile idea. Maybe not even an idea, just a thought or an envy.

And that's not even all. If you know what you want, and what you want is the next big thing with Realismax(C) physics engine, dolby-surround digital sound and 3D HolyShit(tm) graphics, don't even think about it. You should know why hundreds of people are working on those. Because they are a fucking pain to make.
Also, don't just pick a random technology (especially Unity) if you don't know how to use it or how to do even the most basic things with a programming language or a game making tool. Making games isn't just some kid's joke you can learn and do in five hours straight. It takes a lot of time and skill to do those, and that's pretty much why there aren't a lot of successful game makers out there.

I hope you won't be too offended by what I've written, because it was not the point.
I also hope you see, understand and accept my point.
Finally, I hope you will think about your mistakes and keep working on realizing your dreams, just more seriously. For your sake.
If you have read everything, thank you and good luck.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
If you haven't noticed, I've been trying to keep things very vague. We actually have thought about 95% of what you mentioned. But seriously, we came up with this idea a couple of weeks ago. We know that it will take a lot of work to make, we're not stupid. Mevon keeps worrying about DLC's which I know is dumb, but oh well.
And don't assume I don't know anything about storytelling and level design and things like that. I make comics and so something I'm always working on is story. And art obviously. Playing a shit ton of games will actually give anybody with a brain a decent understanding of level design. Also, Unity was just something we were thinking about using. I figured there was something better to use. Kind of like how minecraft is written into java. I can't think of what that is called, but that was another idea we had.
Trust me Hiino, we know what we're doing. Though, I do thank you for your constructive criticism.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Professional Whatever
What I got from that was "we make comics and play video games so we know what we're doing"

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Well maybe if we suck so bad, we should just forget about this game. Because obviously we have no idea what the fuck we're doing.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:48 AM
The Preacher
MagicDoors said:
What I got from that was "we make comics and play video games so we know what we're doing"
Pretty much my thought too.

We're not saying you should give up. We're saying you guys gotta prove that you have something (or your ability to have something for that matter) if you want to be acknowledged.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:15 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I don't care for constructive criticism, but we're just slowly puting the story together so chill out, ok? Once I get to school we are gonna figure this shit out. So until then seeya!

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:21 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Mevon said:
I don't care for constructive criticism
then why would you make a thread on a public forum

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:25 AM
That's a good point..

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Veteran Member
Don't let these guy's stop you from making you're game, making comics and playing a ton of games is a good start.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM
thank you for that :)

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Professional Whatever
liammillay said:
Don't let these guy's stop you from making you're game, making comics and playing a ton of games is a good start.
But not a substitute for experience.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Veteran Member
MagicDoors said:
But not a substitute for experience.
Making a bunch of comic's and reading comic's = You will be able to come up with a story, and know how to draw well
Playing a ton of games = You know how level design work's, and what makes games fun
I actually started out on game maker with just about that amount of knowledge, and i've been making game's since. (Except that the platformer engine i edited and made my own is sorta dodgy).
If you haven't programmed before, i would advise trying game maker, its what i use.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Professional Whatever
Using gamemaker is equivalent to experience.

I wasn't saying you won't use comic design and gaming skills when making a game, I'm just saying it's good to get some knowledge in the field as well. Sorry if I was a bit unclear.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:14 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
liammillay said:
Playing a ton of games = You know how level design work's, and what makes games fun
No. Just no. That's not true at all by any measure.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
No. Just no. That's not true at all by any measure.
Yes, it is true. Just think about it. Play through a game, and see what parts you find fun. Then you know what is fun in a game.
And if you pay attention to how the levels are designed in a bunch of games, you will know how to design levels, based on what you see in the games.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Veteran Member
Dunc2403 said:
liam just
no
you don't just know level design by playing a lot of games
if so, nobody would ever have bad level design
Say's the guy who's always an asshole to me on the forums.