Quotar Hero

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:25 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
This mod is the result of Christmas Modfest #37.

Normally, I would add this to my portfolio of small modfest mods, write a short blurb about it, and call it a day, but with this mod, I've decided to do something different. I'm putting it in a separate thread because the mod itself is moddable. It's the first mod I finished using the d-rs engine, which means I can share that precious source code anywhere I dang well please, and you'll bet your sweet pearly whites I'm going all in on that route. (You can find the releases Here)

Ok, with that out of the way, what's the meat? What's the mod about?

It's Guitar Hero. In Cave Story. Quotar Hero, if you will.
I don't need any other screenshots. This is pretty much what it all looks like.

This follows the trends of my other mods in that it takes the Cave Story engine and runs it through Willy Wonka's Taffy Puller. When it comes out, not only is it a physically mutated freakazoid, but it also... um... I guess that's it? Either way, it's a not Cave Story game that's been crammed into Cave Story, for better or worse (usually for my own education).

The game makes heavy use of the enhanced graphic features of the Rust engine to really crank the mod presentation to the next level. OpenGL allows for drawing surfaces with projective interpolation (like the note highway), and the preexisting light api allows me to put in all sorts of flashing, pretty lights. The mod also supports layers (d-rs doesn't do this out of the box, but it's 80% of the way there, so adding support wasn't too difficult) and adds proper support for org3 music (it would previously crash due to a bug with d-rs).

I had to put a lot of work getting this mod to run with Glutin instead of SDL because SDL has a problem when moving or resizing the window that locks the window thread (but not the audio) on Windows. There was no way without going deep into the framework I could even pass off a notice to the audio callback when the video thread stopped so that it could stop too. Glutin fixed all these problems, but it was only included by the devs as a way to get d-rs running on Android, so it had to be tweaked to support desktop OSes.

As for the note highway and ingame event scheduling, The game runs a second ORG tracker alongside the first ORG (or OGG) music player. You can use this file to add notes on the highway and TSC events to be run in time with the music. If used correctly, it can create some pretty cool ingame effects.

New songs can be added by adding new maps to the stage.tbl file without needing to recompile the binary. Stages can be hidden if the corresponding boss number is not 0. This is handy for multi-map productions or test rooms that you don't want to show up ingame.

All this drivel is great and all, but why am I telling you? Because you can edit it.
I've gone into some more detail documenting what the various user-end tweaks do and how to use them in this API document. It should go a long way to help any newcomers create their own songs for this mod.

If anyone desires to create more music for this thing and shares it, there's a good chance I'll add it to the main mod (with their credits and permission, of course).

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 4:44 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm way behind on mods that I've been meaning to play, so since I had some free time, I decided this would be a good place to start because it's such low-hanging fruit.

I was never very good at Guitar Hero, but this was a fun little mod. In fact, for something with such narrow gameplay, this was very unique and cool. I loved the atmosphere you created where Quote and crew are a rock band, and the critters down below are the audience. That was really well-done, and seemed to have a lot of work put into it. The style really felt a lot like Guitar Hero, which was pretty cool. I won't be doing it myself, but that's pretty rad how you made it extensible so that people can create their own songs for this mod. Making the mod moddable. The framerate seemed to suffer a bit with the way that the notes are implemented, or maybe there are just set frames for their positioning, not sure which.

I didn't do very well on my first try with the first song, and got a negative score. But then I tried the other two songs and got positive scores.

Overall, cool and fun little mod to start off my morning.

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:08 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Cool to see TWRP as one of the songs to jam to.

I don't usually play rhythm games like this, but I think I did decently (well, maybe). I started bottom up, and I guess I got better as I went along.

quotar-hero-scores.png

The details of the characters playing on stage, the camera panning slightly side to side of a colorfully lit stage, and the audience jumping was pretty cool.
Really neat mod.

Last edited: