Project Grave Story

May 12, 2011 at 7:48 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I recently played some of Ralren's unfinished mods, and I must say, they were great; they inspired me to do a story of my own.
So I began this project.

Grave Story is initially planned to shift the player from the common Cave Story puzzle-shooter, and into more of a horror-survival game.

This started out as a solo project, but if anyone wants to help, that would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I'd like to request permission to use some of Ralren's mod components.

Yes, I realize I am pretty new for starting a mod. This is mostly for my own fun.

May 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
still sounds enjoyable even if a survivor shooter still would like some sort of storyline in your mod.

May 12, 2011 at 7:55 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm only just starting the project today, I have to figure out the basic plot before I go for a good storyline.

May 13, 2011 at 8:05 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Atmosphere is the most important part of a survival-horror game, i.e. I hope you know how to musics D: Lighting helps as well, but unfortunately Cave Story isn't really built for that unless you want to use a heap of <TRA or <CMP/<SMP.

May 13, 2011 at 10:30 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
True horror makes you feel helpless and powerless. Make sure the player has minimal firepower in their possession, and that the enemies are threatening enough to the point that the player's favored option is to run for their life instead of standing their ground.

Also, remember that the more exposure the player gets of an element, the player grows desensitized and used to that element. Choose your enemies carefully and don't use the same scare tactic too much. Like Gabe Newell said, "A headcrab in every vent is boring. A headcrab in one of twenty vents is terrifying." Or something to that effect. Basically, if you can keep players paranoid, if you can make them constantly afraid of an enemy threat without actually having the threat present and there, then you're doing it right.

May 13, 2011 at 10:05 PM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
PowerDag said:
I recently played some of Ralren's unfinished mods, and I must say, they were great; they inspired me to do a story of my own.
So I began this project.

Grave Story is initially planned to shift the player from the common Cave Story puzzle-shooter, and into more of a horror-survival game.

This started out as a solo project, but if anyone wants to help, that would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I'd like to request permission to use some of Ralren's mod components.

Yes, I realize I am pretty new for starting a mod. This is mostly for my own fun.

You may do so. I'm very happy that you asked for permission, it means alot to me. Although my mods may be open-source, and ideas can be used, etc.. It's still nice to ask for permission, so I respect you for that.

I can't wait until your progression gets bigger on this, I love horror games. :3

May 14, 2011 at 12:33 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Yeah Ralren did a great job in adding a creepy atmosphere in that mod where you're a robot in some fucked up ice land. Cave story's engine might limit you from creating certain situations, but that doesn't mean you cant create horror via storyline.

May 14, 2011 at 2:53 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It will probably take a considerably long amount of time to complete this, seeing as I have a somewhat busy schedule. Today, I will start scripting, though.

Music will be made later.