Programming General

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:01 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Hey there! I know there are quite a few programmers here, so I thought we could make a thread to discuss such matters! Talk about your new non-game programs, ask questions, whatever as long as it's programming related! I'll kick things off with 2 things:

1. My image glitching program "Glitch It!". Program and source available at http://shinigamimachine.com/projects.html

2. Does anybody know how to edit hex in VB2012? I know how to read the data from a file, but not how to read it as hex. I want to be able to make a CS profile editor (it won't be anything special or different really, just a test to see if I know what I'm doing)

Jun 13, 2015 at 1:59 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Jun 13, 2015 at 2:55 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
imo you should just use a dedicated hex editor, XVI32 has never done me wrong

Jun 13, 2015 at 3:28 PM
Hoxtilicious
ShinigamiMachine said:
Does anybody know how to edit hex in VB2012? I know how to read the data from a file, but not how to read it as hex. I want to be able to make a CS profile editor (it won't be anything special or different really, just a test to see if I know what I'm doing)
I'm not sure what you mean, are you asking for a way to display an integer as a hex string? Because then it's just:
Code:
Dim i As Integer
i.ToString("X")
There is no way to read something as "Hex", you can either read a file as a text or binary file but nothing else. What you're asking about is probably how to encode/decode your input/output.

Jun 13, 2015 at 4:39 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
things aren't stored in hex. As far as I'm aware hex was just a notation for programmers because it's more convenient than binary or base 10.

you would need to read the file in as binary, convert it to hex, let the programmer edit that, then convert back to binary and store it in the file.

Jun 13, 2015 at 5:44 PM
Professional Whatever
What I did was read the .dat file into a byte array, then access specific parts of the array to convert the values back into integers or chars or whatever. I don't remember if there was a different syntax for reading bytes, but I'm pretty sure it was really simple. Once I'm back at home I can find my code for you.

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:41 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Thanks for all the help guys!

Noxid said:
imo you should just use a dedicated hex editor, XVI32 has never done me wrong
But I want to make a program that edits specific values so that it could do something like a CS profile editor.

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:55 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Lots of those already exist though

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:08 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Noxid said:
Lots of those already exist though
I know, there are other things I want to do with hex editing. That was just an example so people could understand what I was trying to achieve

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:23 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
As the only programmer here, I think we need a thread for translators, not for programmers ;)

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:52 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
q3hardcore said:
As the only programmer here
I guess I better just fade away...........

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:29 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
q3hardcore said:
As the only programmer here, I think we need a thread for translators, not for programmers ;)
You're a programmer?!?

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:11 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Well, I can make a smiley face using Javascript.

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:09 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
ShinigamiMachine said:
Thanks for all the help guys!

But I want to make a program that edits specific values so that it could do something like a CS profile editor.
Getting to the point: It seems you want to manipulate byte values.
That's simple in VB.Net: Use "File.ReadAllBytes" to get a byte array, get bytes out of it, modify bytes, etc, and use "File.WriteAllBytes" to write back to the file. (To make a new file, create a new byte array, put whatever data into it and use File.WriteAllBytes)

Note to those who would prefer using FileStream: I'm assuming I should keep it simple, and that he's working with fixed-size files with known layouts(like a CS profile editor).

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:11 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
gamemanj said:
Getting to the point: It seems you want to manipulate byte values.
That's simple in VB.Net: Use "File.ReadAllBytes" to get a byte array, get bytes out of it, modify bytes, etc, and use "File.WriteAllBytes" to write back to the file. (To make a new file, create a new byte array, put whatever data into it and use File.WriteAllBytes)

Note to those who would prefer using FileStream: I'm assuming I should keep it simple, and that he's working with fixed-size files with known layouts(like a CS profile editor).
Thank you for your help, and I much prefer ReadAllBytes to FileStream. Now let's change this thread's topic from my little question to programming stuff in general (as the title suggests!)

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:17 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
ok but uhhh
what do you want to talk about

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:20 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Well, I don't know. Are any programmers here working on non-game projects? Those could be fun to discuss!

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:03 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
ShinigamiMachine said:
Well, I don't know. Are any programmers here working on non-game projects? Those could be fun to discuss!
Sure, I'm trying to re-write OrgView's org-loading code, so I can load external orgs.