Problems getting good sound from Cave Story

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:47 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
So I decided to reinstall Cave Story today, this time on my newer desktop PC. With it being a fairly powerful machine with a upgraded integrated soundcard from that of which was sitting in my laptop, I discovered that the audio sounded completely awful. I tried various settings to see if I could fix this sound issue, but I was unable to do so. I have heard that other people have had this problem in the past. Is there a resolution to this audio problem?

-SkyeWelse

Mar 17, 2006 at 6:48 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I think the older your sound card, the better the sound. Knowing nothing more, i can't help you. My older computer (with the bad sound card) has really nice sound, but the new*er* one has lousy sound (hurts my ears)

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:34 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
The only thing that I can think of is to turn off your audio hardware acceleration, or something like that. Should be an option in the control panel.

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:56 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Turning off the hardware acceleration completely didn't do the trick, but setting both the top acceleration and bit-rate to "standard" levels seem to do the trick. Thanks for the advice. I can now finally play it on my better computer. lol

-SkyeWelse

Apr 21, 2006 at 11:46 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Did you get pops and scratch sounds [random static every once in a while]? I'm getting those every once in a while mmmmm But besides that the music sound pretty nice. I'm going to try to re-rip into mp3 because there is just no comparing OrgView to the mp3s I found :O :)

I think it must be something to do with the audigy 2, worked fine on the other XP computer...

Worst of course :O Is in OrgView sometimes if I leave it on for a long while or switch songs a lot, there is a chance my computer will instantly reboot [...]
Oh and it freezes everything [alt ctrl del] doesn't work sometimes if I open and close it a lot :p

Also OrgMaker 1.x something quickly shows the same problems... [haven't tried the 2.x version I just found :O ;)]
... mmm I wonder... *checks for DOSBox...*
oops well so much for that idea :p Guess it needs windows...

Apr 22, 2006 at 5:33 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
No scratchy sounds, just plain bad sound and I still get a little of it but the overall sound is improved after playing with the sound acceleration. And hearing the ORG files I've heard in MP3 are better from what I've listened to so far.

As far as I know, OrgMaker 2.0 allows more drums and more samples, but a lot of those new sounds cannot be implemented into Cave Story. The update that made OrgMaker 2.0 was not developed by Pixel as far as I've heard.

... mmm I wonder... *checks for DOSBox...*
ops well so much for that idea ;) Guess it needs windows...
Yeah it can't be run under DOSbox. Believe me I already tried. If it had worked I would have been able to play it under the DOSxbox on my xbox and it specifically needed Windows to make it work.

-SkyeWelse

Apr 30, 2006 at 4:29 AM
Indie game enthusiast
No scratchy sounds, just plain bad sound and I still get a little of it but the overall sound is improved after playing with the sound acceleration. And hearing the ORG files I've heard in MP3 are better from what I've listened to so far.
I just wanted to inform you I'm going to put together a high quality rip for myself [mp3 / ape maybe]

I went to my grandma's house where the computer is just perfect for Cave Story [pretty flawless playback!!!!] I've ripped the music through orgplayer, and comparing them to the mp3s already out there, is like night and day :) [well at least to me]

Just wanted to inform you, in case somebody might be interested. [long as I can get the wave onto a disc to bring home!]

I'll probably do a straight rip [just good quality untouched], and maybe experiement with another in Cubase to see what I can do about the very small artifacts left [little pops, maybe noise I can't hear on this system [but maybe I can on a high end one] [Yahoo for visual sound lol]

anyways more info when I get backkk~

May 2, 2006 at 8:07 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Yo!!

Okay, made it back home~ Spent some time today doing what I said I would :)

I HAVE RIPPED the Cave Story music and I'd have to say 99% of the time it sounds better :p [than the mp3s from the cave story uploader site]

Fineprint:
Basically I just got on a computer that played back the orgs well, recorded the whole thing from OrgView into wave stereo 48khz; got it home, and divided up the recording, working with the uploader mp3s side by side to match up my new rip with the old one; [and to get volume and time right (and made sure no clipping occured)] So basically I made sure everything was an improvement :p
...... anyways lol

Right now I have it in ape lossless format for myself and it's a steep 200 megs, if anyone else wants it; in some format [mp3 lame extreme?] or something; feel free to request~

May 3, 2006 at 5:24 AM
Indie game enthusiast
Just finished APXing it [mp3 lame --alt-preset extreme!]
Now it's 50 megs in mp3 format ;O Still sounds pretty great; updating my signature

May 3, 2006 at 3:40 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I'm interested in hearing it.

If you want to send it to me or post it via a fileshare website and send me the link sometime I'll make sure that there is a link to it via the Cave Story Tribute site and make sure you are credited for your work on this.

-SkyeWelse

May 3, 2006 at 6:54 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Never tried the fileshare websites before.... Looks like it works though!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NJK2JQLT
Here's the link~
It's about 50 megs zipped [or unzipped]; looks like the service will host it an unlimited amount of time [or until nobody downloads it for 21 days];

I get about 67 kbps download of the file...
When you click on the link you have to wait a minute or something then click Download [near the top] (which annoyingly gets blocked by an ad that appears lol [just close the ad])

But it works! Tell me what you think ;) And feel free to add it to the website if you like it;