Press Story

May 28, 2009 at 7:46 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello, first time game editor type person here. I havespent the last few weeks editing Cave Story and I guess what I've come out with is kind of cool and a little challenging. I hope to edit the full game one day, but here is the demo:

Press Story demo 0.000001?

Tell me what you think. You will notice a few serious errors that I can't seem to fix as I have a laziness problem... maybe tell me how to fix them? D:

May 29, 2009 at 5:34 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
This mod is incredible. Yet, hard.
If this is your first mod, this is some good work.
I never heard the idea of using presses for a mod though.
Well, at least it isn't like constant spikes everywhere,
you have some time to live.

The Rocket thing was incredibly one of the most aggravating
parts of the mod. I never made it through.

May 29, 2009 at 7:17 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ralren said:
This mod is incredible. Yet, hard.
If this is your first mod, this is some good work.
I never heard the idea of using presses for a mod though.
Well, at least it isn't like constant spikes everywhere,
you have some time to live.

The Rocket thing was incredibly one of the most aggravating
parts of the mod. I never made it through.

Yes, the rocket will probably be removed when he game is finished. The trick is to stand on the very edge of it, so that it doesn't look like you're even standing on it anymore. I couldn't work out how to change the initial start location which is why you start at the top, and the indent in the wall is there because you always started within the wall. So yeah, there was alot of improvising...

Thank you for the praise. :D

The major bugs are that when you receive a certain weapon the icon is wrong and for some reason it transports you to a boss fight... and the presses in mimiga village at the bottom don't hurt you, due to npc overload.

I will just list the places you need to go, in no particular order:
- Mimiga Graveyard
- Arthur's House
- Yamashita Farm
- Reservoir
- Shack.

Please note that the
life capsules
in
Arthur's house
are unlimited and the idea is that you can stock up as much as you see fit. They WILL disappear forever if you leave his house, so make sure you take as much as you need.

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:13 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Completely Dissapointed

Well, there are a number of things I have to say about this.
First off, there are far to many NPCs for the game to function properly
Second, knockoff the juvenile crap, it destroyed all respect I had for this mod.
Third, the number of glitches destroy any sense of fun. (and I was looking forward to killing Heavy Press.)

The glitches are:
1. a hidden door that leads to a glitched graveyard. (can't escape from it either).
2. once you get the machine gun, it asks if you want to keep it or drop it, however, answering yes or no does nothing, it repeats itself endlessly.
3. If you pick up an item, you can still move around.
4. The game crashes if you move or jump 2 blocks to the right.

It does however, look to be very interesting.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but, maturity is appreciated. (or at least warn us about what's to come).

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:53 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The juvenile crap is what makes this mod interesting, otherwise it's just a 20-minute CS edit with Presses everywhere.

Was going to comment on this but seeing as you know where the scripting errors are there's not really much for me to say...

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:29 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The errors seem completely random, I don't get it. I had none of the problems listed by CyoWolf1122, but had completely different ones. The graveyard is not glitched for me. The only errors I noticed were: Picking up the Booster makes you transport to the graveyard, and when you check the inventory you don't have it. And there are too many npcs, but whatever, nothing I can do about it. Please consider the fact that I started this mod not knowing anything at all about flags or scripts or generally SW, and I worked the most of it out myself.

Of course, the most of you are arrogant and probably cannot comprehend the fact that not everybody can magically learn how to make an amazing mod on their first try.

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:44 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheh

Well, common sense dictates that if someone's going to make a mod, they're going to learn about it first.
You walk before you run.
Or you end up on your face, like just now.
diph.php

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you look around, the other modders tried learning about what they were doing, before doing it....
Not only is this stuff easy to learn, it's not that hard to figure out...
There are whole threads, chalk full of how-to stuff, and they're waiting for you to read them...

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:53 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Well, I kind of like this mod. Or at least I would if it weren't for the random errors. Lowell is right though, you should start by making a "test mod" before making a "real mod". I for example, started by making a hell-edit that was super easy. I didn't post it on these forums because it was crap. Not that your mod is crap; it's actually quite good for a first attempt. Anyway though, if I hadn't started by making that crappy "test mod", then The Wrath of Revorshkenahl probably would have been crap instead, which would not have been cool.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:26 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
You'll need a ZIP file to go with it.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:56 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
RHF64 said:
You'll need a ZIP file to go with it.

What is your Problem sir?
WinRar... 7zip
unrar(-nonfree) (Linux)

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:23 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
My account is not the admin and I don't know either admin's password.

Sep 24, 2009 at 6:05 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Upaa said:
You will notice a few serious errors that I can't seem to fix as I have a laziness problem... maybe tell me how to fix them? D:

your "laziness" problem is what's going to make this mod go downhill....i didn't bother even playing the mod because of the errors most people said about it that make it unplayable....not about to waste my time on something until you can actually stop being lazy and get to work

Sep 24, 2009 at 6:11 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Well, I'm pretty sure the creator of the mod has long since left the forums so it doesn't really matter...

Oct 12, 2009 at 8:07 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Yeah, I got the endless loop in the graveyard with the machine-gun-rocket, and pressing down on top of a press will teleport you there.

Oct 12, 2009 at 10:42 PM
Been here way too long...
dude...
check the timestamp of the last post next time. emkay?