Pixel's thoughts

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:29 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Something that's been bugging me...

Has Pixel ever said anything about modding and hacking Cave Story? I just want to know if he's okay with it or not, because I can't seem to find anything about it anywhere.

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:49 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Finding Pixel's opinion on anything is always difficult since there's a severe shortage of people who speak fluent Japanese and can ask him AND receive an answer.

It comes down to whether you're okay with modding it without confirming whether he's okay with it or not.

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:52 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh dear. Moral problems ahoy.

Well, thanks for the answer anyway. Much appreciated.

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:14 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Pixel said he doesn't care about modding, anyhow modding is fanwork, if you say fanwork is bad then you're dumb :o But modding Cave Story and say "its a game (your own game)" isn't fanwork, very nasty.

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:14 AM
"..."
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Pixel said he doesn't care about modding, anyhow modding is fanwork, if you say fanwork is bad then you're dumb :o But modding Cave Story and say "its a game (your own game)" isn't fanwork, very nasty.

What if the creator simply does not want someone else to mess with their program? If you created a great game, with an amazing game engine and everyone loved it, there's nothing wrong with you wanting to keep that to yourself. Some would say it could ruin the game if copy cats pop up using the same system but with their own tweaks. Even if the person means well and is doing it in honor of the great game in the first place.

It's not dumb to say that you don't like other people modding your stuff, it's just an opinion.

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:45 PM
Hoxtilicious
Osmose said:
What if the creator simply does not want someone else to mess with their program? If you created a great game, with an amazing game engine and everyone loved it, there's nothing wrong with you wanting to keep that to yourself. Some would say it could ruin the game if copy cats pop up using the same system but with their own tweaks. Even if the person means well and is doing it in honor of the great game in the first place.

It's not dumb to say that you don't like other people modding your stuff, it's just an opinion.

Saying its your own is firstly wrong and secoundly its a thing of copyright. (Yeah, call me hypocrite who wants to, better tell that the big video game companys if someone using their stuff :o)
But anyway I dont think you can "ruin" a game if you make any fanwork to it.
I would be honored if someone would hack my games.

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:51 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Pixel said he doesn't care about modding
Have you got the source of that statement? It'd really help clear things up.

Osmose is right, but this has been disussed before and has never led anywhere. Neither will it this time.

I sympathise with Brace. This stuff is much more straightforward to the people modding commercial games made by companies that support modding (like Valve, for example).

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:58 PM
Hoxtilicious
Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
Have you got the source of that statement? It'd really help clear things up.

Osmose is right, but this has been disussed before and has never led anywhere. Neither will it this time.

About Pixels opinion? It would! We just discussed about our opinions about using our images and stuff. But anyway, it was on his BBS and its too old (old things will be deleted) so, go and ask him if you want to.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:11 PM
I wouldn't trust an auto-translator to do a proper job. Better to be ignorant than try to decipher some cryptic answer in engrish.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:51 PM
Hoxtilicious
Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
I wouldn't trust an auto-translator to do a proper job. Better to be ignorant than try to decipher some cryptic answer in engrish.

Ignorant? Pixel has his own translaters... And he said it more than 1 time.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:57 PM
"..."
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Ignorant? Pixel has his own translaters... And he said it more than 1 time.

I doubt he has them at his beck and call to translate his every statement, as evidenced by the fact that all his English posts on his BBS are in his badly fractured English that we can't be sure of.

As for what I said before, I wasn't referring to a mod itself as being your own (Even though, yes, there is some of your creative property there), but rather, if you had created something new yourself, like a new game, not a mod or anything.

My whole point is that you can't classify all mods as fanworks because not all mods are. There are people who will use the engine of a game and replace everything else because it's easier, not because they love the game and want to honor it. Or maybe they want to make a version of Cave Story where Quote is a walking penis, which is kinda insulting to Pixel. Because of that, the creator of anything has the right to say, "Hey, stop that." And then it's up to the modders to stop if the creator requests it.

I personally would be fine with hacking of my program, but I'd be slower to release actual source code because A.Someone could rip me off, and B.My code is messy as hell anyway and I'd be embarrassed. I'd probably end up giving in and releasing it anyway, but it's a tough decision.

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:17 PM
Hoxtilicious
Osmose said:
I doubt he has them at his beck and call to translate his every statement, as evidenced by the fact that all his English posts on his BBS are in his badly fractured English that we can't be sure of.

He said what he said, if you're going to ask about it again then you end up in the same answer, so if you wont think thats right just don't mod Cave Story, if don't want to make Pixel angry or something.

Osmose said:
My whole point is that you can't classify all mods as fanworks because not all mods are. There are people who will use the engine of a game and replace everything else because it's easier, not because they love the game and want to honor it. Or maybe they want to make a version of Cave Story where Quote is a walking penis, which is kinda insulting to Pixel. Because of that, the creator of anything has the right to say, "Hey, stop that." And then it's up to the modders to stop if the creator requests it.

Yep, thats true and I think there is nothing bad about this o_o

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:55 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh wow, this got to page two already?

Osmose said:
Or maybe they want to make a version of Cave Story where Quote is a walking penis,
Now here's exactly what I'm nervous about. Even if Pixel said it was alright, we still don't know what would offend him and what wouldn't. If someone decides to create a humorous mod where the main character swears a lot, that might still offend him.

I too would love to see evidence that someone has asked Pixel up front about this matter.

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:02 AM
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
The popular consensous seems to be that Pixel doesn't really care for fanworks, neither disallowing them or encouraging them. He has said before that Cave Story's Past and Future is basically up to the player (though I don't think he meant a physical game, but whatever), so I suppose we're the product of that.

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:24 AM
"..."
S. P. Gardebiter said:
He said what he said, if you're going to ask about it again then you end up in the same answer, so if you wont think thats right just don't mod Cave Story, if don't want to make Pixel angry or something.

Well poor Jeff Brace would rather know for sure, hence why we're even talking about this.

Now Pixel has been quoted as saying, "I have not supported Cave Story on PSP". But no one can be sure of the statement because he could easily mistake the word support to mean "helped and worked on" instead of "given approval/encouragement". He could think someone is asking him if he's helping code Cave Story for PSP, and be saying that he isn't.

In the same vein, saying, "I don't care about CS modding" could very well mean that he doesn't care FOR it, meaning he doesn't like it, and actually doesn't want it going on. Unless he said it in Japanese and someone translated it, in which case this whole post was unnecessary, but there's no harm in posting since I'm not really going to miss the minutes it took to write this post if they were wasted.

Jun 10, 2007 at 1:32 PM
Indeed. Even if Pixel gives a seemingly perfectly clear answer in english it's not certain he understood the question. I know for a fact that Pixel's answer to the question about the PSP is made in the exact same wording as the person asking the question, so what Pixel meant by it depends on what he thought the first guy said.

Just for the record, I don't think the PSP port is legitimate or even real.

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:05 PM
Hoxtilicious
I don't get whats so important? You wanted people to share their things, even they don't want to you tell people to upload newest of my files, just because you want all things you can get ;)
Also, using their images without permission would be O.K. right?
So I don't get why not just mod the game even if Pixel says no... Or is it just; you shouldn't steal "great master Pixel's" things?

Jun 10, 2007 at 8:39 PM
"..."
I think the Wikipedia discussion page on Variant Interactive sums up the company quite well: Vaporware Extraordinaire. ;)

Shining: ...what? I don't know if that was aimed at me, but the last comment is ridiculous anyway. You see, some people respect Pixel and don't want to be complete assholes. Some people.

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:05 PM
(Don't know Osmose, it was probably directed at everyone. 'Cept the first part)

First of all, SPG, I did not tell you to give away the file against your will. I only asked you to upload it after you had brought it up yourself. Then I dropped the subject after you had said you weren't going to upload it.

No one has ever said that taking people's stuff without permission is OK.
But since you obviously never get my point when I try to explain my views on shared content, author's rights, and modding I won't go into that here.
Let's just state that I don't differentiate between people and leave it at that.

Jun 10, 2007 at 10:51 PM
Hoxtilicious
Osmose said:
Shining: ...what? I don't know if that was aimed at me, but the last comment is ridiculous anyway. You see, some people respect Pixel and don't want to be complete assholes. Some people.

Its up to you, if you don't feel like I was speaking to you, just ignore it Osmose ;) But actually I don't see why respect Pixel but not other people, its just because its their "god" who made Cave Story and if someone insult him then he/she is an asshole lol

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
First of all, SPG, I did not tell you to give away the file against your will. I only asked you to upload it after you had brought it up yourself. Then I dropped the subject after you had said you weren't going to upload it.

Allright, sorry then :o

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
No one has ever said that taking people's stuff without permission is OK.

Well, no...
They just said in the forum here, people shared their knowledge so they should share their images too. Who don't want to share his/her images should protect the own mod... But actually the point is noone knows how to do it...

Thats like you say: You can post and come to this forum here yes! But actually you get lots of viruses and no we won't turn this down, 8 people here want viruses and 10 don't but we even don't care because in the past very much people got backdoor programs here and liked it. So you need to get yourself a special program, do it won't download viruses, but actually noone knows how to configure and running this program and there are 1,000,000,000,000,000 possibiltys so HAHA YOURE FUCKED!

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
But since you obviously never get my point when I try to explain my views on shared content, author's rights, and modding I won't go into that here.

You called me a hypocrite and I don't get why lol
So explain it here, I don't see why you shouldn't if it would clear the things...