Physical release?

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:38 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
It seems like a far-fetched idea, but I would kill to see an actual physical release of the Cave Story OST, maybe even seeing it on vinyl (I know, I'm hipster trash). Sure, I could make myself a CD soundtrack with the .flac files floating around, but it doesn't compare to a factory-made CD with pressed flashy artwork. What do you guys think?

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:41 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'd like to see Cave Story music put on a cassette tape.

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:43 PM
I'd like to see Cave Story music put on a cassette tape.
Why not a floppy disk that looks just like the Save Point? /s
(Floppy disk albums are really a thing though, look it up.)

Seriously though, that too.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2016 at 12:45 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Traditionally vinyl pressings are stupidly expensive unless done in bulk. This is because each different vinyl requires a custom press to be manufactured for it.

Though is anyone else actually interested in a vinyl? I could pursue a bulk purchase if other people are interested.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2016 at 4:04 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I casually collect vinyls, but I honestly don't see it happening due to the manufacturing dilemma:

A small order of 20-100 copies can go from $75-100, probably even more especially if we're talking about fitting the whole OST onto a double/triple LP package. Would be cheaper per person to do a limited "fan favorites" track list.

A large order of 1000 copies, while getting closer to the normal $20-$25 per person, requires a huge overhead investment by the organizer (who at this scale would have to be NiCaliS whatever-the-capital-letter-deal-is to get out of the illegal bootleg situation). This would require organizing some advertising campaign to get enough nostalgic fans to buy the stock (who definitely are out there I believe, but the word would have to significantly get out).

So yeah, sadly it's quite improbable unless we're ready to all plop a Benjamin/national equivalent each.

On the subject of the floppies, I understand it was a joke but you can actually fit all the ORG files and Orgviewer onto the 3.5" 1.44MB floppies... A bit of pointless novelty though obviously.

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:54 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
We're all overlooking the big issue here:
We couldn't sell these items for money without some form of consent from Pixel, as he made the soundtrack.

I'm pretty sure that if one person ordered and then only charged enough to break even, it'd be considered "non-profit" and therefore be legal. It'd be like a fan designing his own T-shirt for his favorite videogame and then giving a few pairs to his friends with the condition of them reimbursing him for the price of the shirt.

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:48 PM
Traditionally vinyl pressings are stupidly expensive unless done in bulk. This is because each different vinyl requires a custom press to be manufactured for it.

Well, I understand that vinyl manufacturing is expensive. But still, vinyl or not, I would love to see an official physical release of the soundtrack at all. Maybe Nicalis can sell a higher quality version of the Remastered OST while they're at it, because the version in CS+ sounds like shit (since the .ogg files sampling rate is at 22050 Hz instead of the standard 44100 Hz).

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2016 at 1:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Are any more than 3 people interested?

This service is more affordable than the others:
https://www.onecutvinyl.com/

I'll subtract the price of what it would cost for myself divide what's left into two, and just have you guys reinburse me the rest (approx. $30, which is a standard price for a new vinyl record anyways) plus whatever it costs for me to ship it from me to you. That is if you guys are still interested.

I'll probably choose a single 33 rpm record (20 minutes per side), but if there is a call for a 45 rpm record then let me know. I may also need ideas on what the track listing will be.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2016 at 3:45 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Are any more than 3 people interested?

This service is more affordable than the others:
https://www.onecutvinyl.com/

I'll subtract the price of what it would cost for myself divide what's left into two, and just have you guys reinburse me the rest (approx. $30, which is a standard price for a new vinyl record anyways) plus whatever it costs for me to ship it from me to you. That is if you guys are still interested.

I'll probably choose a single 33 rpm record (20 minutes per side), but if there is a call for a 45 rpm record then let me know. I may also need ideas on what the track listing will be.

I don't have money nor do I care about having physical copies of music, in case you thought I was one of the three.

Aug 16, 2016 at 3:54 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I don't have money nor do I care about having physical copies of music, in case you thought I was one of the three.
I meant whatthepin, EnlightenedOne, and myself.

Aug 16, 2016 at 10:26 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
As long as the tracks aren't in Internal Percussion format, I'm all for this. I really hate the tracks sound the Internal Percussion format, especially for tracks like White and Gravity.

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:22 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
If the tracks aren't gonna be internal percussion, I'm not interested.
Uhh.. what? I think you might be confused. Internal percussion is how the original org files sound in Orgmaker, and Cave Story percussion is how the org files sound with Cave Story's hardcoded drums. If you really want your tracks to use the wrong drums and NOT sound like they do in Cave Story then you are in a minority.

As long as the tracks aren't in Internal Percussion format, I'm all for this. I really hate the tracks sound the Internal Percussion format, especially for tracks like White and Gravity.
I only list the internal percussion tracks on the site for the sake of completion. No I won't be including internal percussion tracks.

A vinyl copy of the soundtrack? Shieet, sounds pretty nice. Which tracks are you gonna put on it?
I am open to suggestions. I am limited to 20min per side (or 11mins per side if you guys want 45rpm records).

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2016 at 3:15 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
1- gestation
2- mimiga village
3- mischevious robot
4- pulse
5- on to grasstown
6- meltdown2
7- Eye of Flame
8- moonsong
9- Cave Story
10- Final Cave
11- Balcony
12- Running Hell
13- Final Battle
14- The Way Back home

Maybe move pulse to right after eye of flame? insert gravity? oh and I forgot almond...