Other Website Formats

Apr 5, 2018 at 1:12 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
We have a simple and basic forum on the regular net, but wouldn't it be cool if it were on another website format such as ZeroNet, or TorBrowser? Please give feedback on this idea.

Apr 5, 2018 at 1:28 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You are so afraid of anyone knowing you visit a cave story site you need to access it via tor?

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:14 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
As it just so happens simple sometimes works the best, especially for a forum. Why change what already works well?

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:13 PM
War criminal
Why not just use incognito mode? Chrome and Firefox have those!

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:27 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I don't think andwhy or who ever hosts cavestory.org would want to go through the hassle of setting up a .onion site so almost no one could use it. Also, there could be hosting issues as some hosting providers don't allow tor servers while some do. I don't think the admins would like to run a tor service if they would loose the ability to IP Ban people. We already have HTTPS which is secure against everyone but the NSA but the NSA is too busy doing this:
to care about some person using the CSTSF. You can still use cavestory.org over tor but there just isn't ever going to be a hidden service imo.

Apr 6, 2018 at 4:23 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The main thought I had when I posted this idea were Net Neutrality issues.

Apr 6, 2018 at 4:31 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I think if any ISP actually would do the corporate suicide known as speed limiting TOR wouldn't really help because its really slow. I don't think Comcast cares about a Computer Cave Platformer Game Forum Webiste enough to block it.

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:34 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
If you're american then im pretty sure there's nothing to worry about unless something went terribly wrong.
I think if any ISP actually would do the corporate suicide known as speed limiting TOR wouldn't really help because its really slow. I don't think Comcast cares about a Computer Cave Platformer Game Forum Webiste enough to block it.
If there was a lack of net neutrality then sure companies wont target small sites like these specificly, but it can still be a case where they'll limit you to what you can access, instead of doing it the other way around.

I have no idea what im saying so correct me if im wrong.

Apr 6, 2018 at 12:11 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
If you're american then im pretty sure there's nothing you can do about it because everything is terribly wrong
FTFY

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:45 PM
War criminal
Net Neutrality isn't down, iirc.

Apr 6, 2018 at 7:33 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
If a company like Comcast or CenturyLink decided to slow access to a website like Netflix then people would get pissed and stop using the ISP and switch to one that didn't. If an ISP decided they want to charge for small sites, people will still be pissed because even though the sites are small, a lot of small sites' traffic being slowed would equal a lot of people being pissed off that they can't access their favorite small sites as fast as they could and would switch ISPs. Also, the "rural areas" argument makes no sense as you can still get DialUp, Satellite, DSL or Cellular in a lot of those places. Cable and Fiber are the ones that are mostly controlled by a few companies because of the cost of laying down cables vs. using pre-existing cables (DSL, Satellite or DialUp). Like I said before, content restriction by a corporation with competitors is corporate suicide.

Apr 6, 2018 at 7:41 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
There's plenty of areas where major ISPs have no competition or the competition is so feeble as to be pointless, or worse nothing more than a reseller of the original shitty service.

Apr 6, 2018 at 9:48 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
There's plenty of areas where major ISPs have no competition or the competition is so feeble as to be pointless, or worse nothing more than a reseller of the original shitty service.
There are multiple Satellite providers and they are most popular in Rural areas. (Hughesnet, Exede, EarthLink, WildBlue, etc.) Also, LTE, 4G and 3G reaches most of the United States. A major reason new ISPs don't start up is because of all the regulations and paperwork they have to fill out.

Apr 6, 2018 at 10:48 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Why would an ISP throttle a random forum about a 13 year old indie game? Makes no sense.