Original Wind Fortress Location?

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:07 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Since we're probably all aware, Wind Fortress was supposed to be in the original game. I've always wondered where, so I figured I would ask you guys.

Dec 14, 2019 at 6:44 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
And also the code for the extra enemies is reminiscent of Pixel's code, although that may be coincidental.
Need I remind you that the clone curlies in the bossfight are literally just Balrog's first fight + the ability to jump.
It is entirely possible that either:
A. Balrog's code was based off of the Curly clones
B. The Curly clones were programmed after Balrog by Pixel
C. The Curly clones were programmed by NICALiS using code from Balrog 1

I personally think Wind Fortress being after Grasstown makes sense, but that would mean that the game was much more linear at one point, and possibly didn't have a hub area (Mimiga Village)

Dec 15, 2019 at 3:21 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
I think it'd be interesting for it to be after Grasstown, but requiring the Booster and Quote having the blade and spur feels weird. I wonder if this means Grasstown was later in the beta, or perhaps, you go back to Grasstown with your new equipment to stop Balrog, since this would make some sense since Balrog disappears after the 4th battle in the Labrynth.

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:56 PM
"Huzzah!"
It would be cool if someone made a mod where wind fortress is added and you go there after grasstown.

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:38 PM
Mint Online
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
It would be cool if someone made a mod where wind fortress is added and you go there after grasstown.
Too bad that would be not okay according to Nicalis unless you make it for CS+ (as long as you dont share what you shouldn't be sharing.)
Perhaps unless you just merely make sonething merely based on it meaning doing whatever as long as it doesn't involve their stages, tilesets or enemies.
Who the heck is going to wanna do wind fortress without booster anyway.

Dec 15, 2019 at 10:50 PM
"Huzzah!"
imo it might've been around outer wall, considering it takes place at the bottom of the island, and you have the booster 2.0/blade/spur, all of which you'd usually have by that time

Dec 15, 2019 at 11:44 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Weeeellllll... There seems to be evidence that the Outer Wall was planned to be played without a Booster. Not only is there unused dialogue for Momorin asking you get a booster, but also without accounting the very first jump from the Kazuma platform to the Outer Wall itself (or the Nemesis secret), it is completely playable without the need of a Booster.

Dec 16, 2019 at 1:15 AM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
My personal theory is that because the Wind Fortress is visually similar to the Outer Wall, that you went to Grasstown instead of the Egg Corridor to get to the outer wall. And instead of going through the blown up Egg Corridor, you would find some sort of exit in Grasstown that takes you to the Wind fortress which leads to the Outer Wall. It also makes sense because that's right after you get your booster, and the hard booster jumps would force you to learn how to use the booster effectively. Pixel probably took it out because he wanted the plot with Kazuma and the sky dragon instead.

Dec 16, 2019 at 1:19 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Pixel probably took it out because he wanted the plot with Kazuma and the sky dragon instead.
That actually makes a lot of sense. Makes me wonder how far he got before scrapping it.

Dec 16, 2019 at 2:13 AM
Stoned Member
Now I kinda wish we got Wind Fortress instead of Egg Corridor? because the boosting tutorial thing actually makes a ton more sense form a game design perspective.

However, it probably wouldn't lead straight into the Outer Wall because the whole "outside of the island" theming might get annoying after a while.

This does give me an idea though...

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:58 AM
Now I kinda wish we got Wind Fortress instead of Egg Corridor? because the boosting tutorial thing actually makes a ton more sense form a game design perspective.
True, but he might have thought that it would be too hard, considering you have to achieve a longer boost by pausing in between boosts as opposed to one continuous boost, and that would be confusing to players who just got the booster. Also, he could have removed it because he wanted the area to be possible with the booster 0.8/no booster (but this is unlikely because he has changed other areas too allow this exact thing)

However, it probably wouldn't lead straight into the Outer Wall because the whole "outside of the island" theming might get annoying after a while.

I don't think this is the case as it takes less time to get through the Wind Fortress and Outer Wall combined than it takes to get though the entire labyrinth which has the same theming through the entire area.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 6:00 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
I always thought that it would take place either after the core fight or water way, with misery kidnapping Curly on the doctor's orders in order to be used in the G-clone in order to supplement his forces in case the mimiga don't work out.

Dec 16, 2019 at 1:58 PM
Does anyone know if Pixel planned to have the Curly clone boss fight when the wind fortress was in the game, or if that was just added by nicalis?

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:13 PM
"Huzzah!"
Does anyone know if Pixel planned to have the Curly clone boss fight when the wind fortress was in the game, or if that was just added by nicalis?

I actually read somewhere that Pixel himself worked on the Wind Fortress Challenge.
So, if that's true, it means that Pixel probably had some plans for it OR he just thought about it later himself afterwards without Nicalis suggesting anything.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:40 PM
"Huzzah!"
I was gonna say I don't know but I ACTUALLY FOUND IT(I know, I'm incredible).
incredible.PNG
Here you go. The original twitter post.