On top of the Island?

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
*This will contribute to the level design of new areas in CS2*

I've always wondered what was on top of the island...
A city? A tower? It's hard to tell.
I mean, the farthest the player ever goes to is the Balcony, only a small part of the top of the island. But what lays beyond the tower of many boss battles? In Cave Story, a simple sign blocks your way that warps you back to the house if you pass it.

Unlike most other theories, I don't have much of one, although I think that the white structures on top:
Are parts of a city, possibly formerly inhabited by the Mimiga before the war, and are now in ruin, completely abandoned. Or perhaps they are the ancient ruins of a civilization that lived on the island, Gaudi, humans, or possibly another species that resemble the "angel" statues on the Balcony.
(On a side note, the art is from someone else, I don't completely agree with the level design, but it was the "clearest" picture of the island I could find.)
diph.php
Personally though, I don't have much of an idea for this. Any other ideas?

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
ive always wondered my self, but if you want to know you can always read the sign

"end of the line"

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Sky Pillar?
Cave Story content release: travel to east Balcony, catch Rayquaza and fly into the sunset

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:19 PM
War criminal
The Floating Island: A result of a battleground between Groudon and Kyogre for expanding land and water. The island said "Fuggit" and fled from the Surface.

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Perpetually out of it
I love how quickly a topic like this can suddenly become amusing.
And even more interesting how quickly it gets related to Pokemon...

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Nadojin said:
I know you didn't make the map, but Outer Wall is really off (The slope is way more vertical than what it shows). Plus there is no reason to have the random outlines splitting up the mountain (imperialism much?)

Now that I think about it, why isn't the whole Island up for real estate at this point? The war is over, and all that's left is a few slow-flying critters, a witch and it's mother, a mad fake-tanned priest with a phobia for cavities, and several mostly harmless species. Does the game take place in a universe where hungry corporate leaders don't see the clear opportunities in slicing up this prime unused land?

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Perpetually out of it
EnlightenedOne said:
Plus there is no reason to have the random outlines splitting up the mountain (imperialism much?)
Yeah, the map's really off, but who's to say the structure on the top of the island is even a mountain?
This is a slightly more 'accurate' image:(Also not mine)
w8w474.jpg
I think the gray structures on top may very well be a city, (really large buildings beside) considering they have the same color scheme as the tower with the bosses in them, which would lead to the possibility that they are artificial. At this point, it would probably be ruins, but considering the rectangular structures, they look more like buildings than rocks. Or that might just be the pixelization, I'm not sure.

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:39 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Also, note how the outerwall's really on the right side, but the inaccurate af map put's it on the same side of the tower

Dec 1, 2013 at 7:27 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Let's not drag fanon into this

Dec 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Perpetually out of it