NPC Guide

Jul 17, 2006 at 6:57 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Stop that fight here now!!
Make love not war!! -_-"
If I would be a mod, I would lock this thread, cuz if u want to fight, then go to a fighting board and don't post that here!! -_-"

Jul 17, 2006 at 7:21 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
If I was a mod I'd delete your post - it's people who freak out unnecesarily that make simple arguments like this into hot-headed flame wars.

The only one here who's fighting is you.

Jul 17, 2006 at 7:32 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
And that's why I wanted this to stay in private message. ;)

Jul 17, 2006 at 7:34 PM
Hoxtilicious
Runelancer is right, I'am not fighting about stupid things like post per days! -_-"
If u mean I fighting, ask other people here...

Jul 17, 2006 at 8:02 PM
"..."
You're freaking out because "everyone's fighting." Everyone has had a cool head here (after the initial argument) except for you. You don't have to go crazy about all the "fighting" because it's perfectly calm and organized. You're the only one who's truely fighting.

Jul 17, 2006 at 8:07 PM
Hoxtilicious
I'am not freaking out and I'am not mad or Crazy! -_-"
If I would be MAD, I would write all in capital letters! -_-"
So now be quiet or you search for fighting?
Or why you start provocations!?

Jul 17, 2006 at 8:12 PM
The Bartender
I think what Osmose is trying to say is that nobody has been fighting until you started posting about it a few posts back - that raised some issues and made things a lot worse. He isn't implying you're an insane psychopath, just that you overreacted. ;)

I don't think any offense was meant, even if he was quite direct about it.

Jul 17, 2006 at 8:48 PM
Hoxtilicious
but i hate this offtopic discusion about how many posts someone have, if u want to post about that make a new topic about that <_<

Jul 17, 2006 at 9:15 PM
"Huzzah!"
RuneLancer said:
That still doesn't answer my question as to how it's such an issue.

it's not your posting rate that's an issue it's that you obviously have more spare time than your letting on

why that is an issue to me I don't really know I guess I'm just a suspicious person ;)

Jul 17, 2006 at 11:02 PM
The Bartender
caveoholic! said:
it's not your posting rate that's an issue it's that you obviously have more spare time than your letting on

why that is an issue to me I don't really know I guess I'm just a suspicious person ;)
Currently, yes, I have more spare time than usual: I'm on vacation. During the week, I rarely go out much since I work full-time. Getting hammered with friends and coming in with a hangover the next day isn't very positive for my carreer. ;) So I spend most of my evenings working on various projects, which gives me a few hours per day most of the time. Weekends, I'm usually out with friends.

It hardly takes more than a few minutes to write a post. 6 is nothing, frankly. And that represents the majority of the time I spend working on CS; if I invested this time into working on my hack, it'd be nearing completion by now. :p

No, I don't have immense amounts of spare time. I usually don't get to spend an entire day or two working on something, even on weekends. But it's hardly 6 posts on a message board that are going to eat up the amount of time I do have.

Hopefully that puts things in perspective, and your mind at ease. :)

Jul 20, 2006 at 9:47 AM
Hoxtilicious
Maybe we should combine our two npc guides to a big one? :p
I would host it on filespace, and it would be there forever *g*

Jul 20, 2006 at 3:48 PM
The Bartender
I've already stated I would not be continuing the guide. Maybe sometime in the future, but at the moment I'm not feeling motived at all to invest that kind of effort if it'll just net me some more flames. I have better ways to invest my time right now, especially considering I'll be losing internet access for 2-3 weeks shortly. >"<

Jul 31, 2006 at 5:37 PM
The Bartender
A little amendment or two I've found out while doing hands-on developement.

1- When calling the "spawn new entity" code, the first PUSH instruction MUST be a 4-byte instruction, not a 2-byte one. The final PUSH (which contains the entity ID) can be a 1-byte instruction but if the ID is greater than 0x7F (0x80 or higher) you'll have to use a 4byte PUSH instruction to avoid ugly, unusual crashes. Fun to trace...

2- 08 and 0C, the offsets into the entity structure for its X and Y position, are rounded off to the nearest 0x800 value (or something to that end.) If your custom entity doesn't move, it's because you need to make it move by more OR use 10 and 14.

Aug 5, 2006 at 10:32 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Haha. man this is funny, even when I leave the forum for a little while, you guys are still putting on a good show, still talking about me and arguing amongst yourselves over silly things. Now you lot will have something to get heated about.

The bottom line is this ok... I am a very busy man, I don't have as much time anymore to fiddle endlessly around with the game scripts trying to work things out all by myself ever since coaching and training commitments in my sport have been taking up more of my time, so I have other commitments on my hands guys... It took too long to try to set this game up anyway, that was the reason why I wanted to be shown how to do things quickly in it instead of getting pointless round the circle arguments from those who like to do things like they were done way back in the 80's, slow, tedious, writing everything out line by line.. I got no time for that old-dated trial by own errors nonsense...That is NOT the only way.

To save TIME, You need a whole library of little script segments of all aspects of the game, all its effects, ... I would like to see start happening, of alot more script and editor intergration happening if anyone is going to seriously sit down and write a more complete and intergrated package for an editor to this game, otherwise the bottom line is that I am not interested because I've got more important things to do... Because what we have now is good from Sue, but it just takes too much time to configure this game....

Aug 5, 2006 at 1:59 PM
Hoxtilicious
That's nearly that i said to Prof. Eich!! We need to make it easier for people who can't script... Such as in RPG-Maker... O_o

Hehehe and I have a lots of time, I'am just to lazy to learn something like C++!!

Aug 5, 2006 at 2:18 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Easier? I've been saying that all along and got flamed for it by those who want to stick to doing things the old 1980's way. This is 2006, not 1980.

Aug 5, 2006 at 2:24 PM
Hoxtilicious
Sure, if it would be easier, it would save time, that's the only point (Well the only point left is, there could be more build in, but thats another story.)... That thing with it must be more futuristic, is rubbish IMHO

Edit: Hehehe, and what do ya talking about? The oldest RPG-Maker version is made in date 1995, thats not 1980 ;) lol

Aug 5, 2006 at 4:02 PM
"..."
No, technika's just bringing up an argument that ended half a month ago because he wants an easy editor for Cave Story and no one's giving it to him.

Give it a rest. You've made your point.

Aug 5, 2006 at 4:46 PM
Hoxtilicious
As I said: A RPG-Maker Stylish editor would be easy! For sure! Well, then it looks like he just must learn C++ and build his on editor ;)
And no stop, or make a own thread, thats offtopic! This topic is named NPC Guide, u should talk about your npc knowledge here...

Aug 7, 2006 at 3:54 PM
The Bartender
The issue is really simple: there is no such thing as an easy way to hack assembly. Code is code - at best you can write something that'll toggle PRE-WRITTEN features on and off, but there's no easier way to change the game engine than, well, to do it the 1980s way. Code simply cannot be handled like data.

For simpler things, we have Sue's workshop. It's basically an RPGMaker for CS - the only issues I can see with it is that instead of clicking on buttons, you type in your scripts. Big difference. ;)