Nostalgia'd

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:09 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I never enjoyed Super Mario 64, probably because I played it recently, and it hasn't aged well with the times. Or something.

But the most nostalgic game for me is Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:12 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Ollie said:
I never enjoyed Super Mario 64, probably because I played it recently, and it hasn't aged well with the times. Or something.

It's really hard for me to see how well the game has aged, because I still think it's as great as the day it came out. Although I did start playing it four years after that.
Nostalgia is powerful. I'm pretty sure it's the only reason people buy Sonic games anymore.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:19 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Back in the early 2000s nobody had a computer in Lithuania. Nobody. There were literally a few thousand household computers in the whole country. I was one of the lucky ones thanks to my dad. Back in the 1990s my brother and I would play SEGA GENESIS games, but it broke, so instead he found a solution. He installed an emulator! To our computer! We played the best games there. Mortal Kombat. Sonic. And many other games I forgot. Of course the best times were had with ZSNES. God I'll never forget Shining Force either. Or Chrono Trigger.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:20 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Fab said:
I am going to reply to this post now, I don't care if I'm late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxid
I find the Banjo games more charming and therefore more entertaining
so sue me
You could probably tell by the image macro I wasn't being totally serious, but Super Mario 64 is the most nostalgic game for me.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT NOSTALGIA SO I AM GOING TO TELL YOU ABOUT MY CHILDHOOD. SUCK IT.

Every day after school I'd go to a day care. I was older than you'd expect for a "day care," but I had to go somewhere while my parents were still at work. Besides, I was very good friends with the owner's children.

When I was 8 (That was 2000, mind you), they got a Nintendo 64 with Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing. Even though SM64 is single-player, it got the most play time by far. Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing are both excellent games that I love, but Super Mario was something else.

You're all probably familiar with the feeling of exploring new areas, finding Power Stars and beating that final boss for the first time, but when you're a kid and you're doing it with your friends it's infinity times better.

Six years later, when I was fourteen and had stopped visiting these people except for rare occasions (which I still feel bad about), and when I had a Nintendo 64 of my own, I finally got all 120 stars, hopped in that cannon outside and flew around the castle. That is the greatest moment in my life as a gamer.

So that's why Super Mario 64 is my favorite video game. I'm not saying Banjo-Kazooie isn't a better game, because I haven't played it and even if it was the most glorious thing to happen to mankind, nostalgia wins every time.

That is a perfectly acceptable and irrefusable answer.

For me, the N64 was the age of rentals: My grandparents already had a sizeable collection of NES and SNES games, but the N64 was the first console that was actually *mine*. It game with Ocarina of Time, so I never actually played Super Mario 64 until a while afterwards. I don't count OoT as a 3D platformer (because it isn't).

Anyway, I didn't actually own a very big library of games, but going to the local rental place was a sort of weekly occurance in my house, and a pretty special treat. I got to play a lot of different games that I probably never would have heard of this way... as long as they were kid-friendly >.>

Banjo-Kazooie was one of my favourites, and I remember getting pretty far into it, although I almost never beat these rental games. When I they got Banjo-Tooie, I was pretty excited. However, there's a scene near the beginning of the game where King Jingaling gets turned into a zombie that absolutely terrified me. The rest of the game was so awesome that I still wanted to play the game despite a crippling, tear-inducing fear of that one room where Zombie Jingaling stumbles around. I just kept telling myself not to think about it and not to go into his zombified castle..

In reality Zombie Jingaling isn't particularly scary but at that age it was pretty bad and I was still having nightmares about ReDeads. Still, I'll never forget how it was the game I couldn't stop playing despite being terrified of it.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:25 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Noxid said:
That is a perfectly acceptable and irrefusable answer.

For me, the N64 was the age of rentals: My grandparents already had a sizeable collection of NES and SNES games, but the N64 was the first console that was actually *mine*. It game with Ocarina of Time, so I never actually played Super Mario 64 until a while afterwards. I don't count OoT as a 3D platformer (because it isn't).

Anyway, I didn't actually own a very big library of games, but going to the local rental place was a sort of weekly occurance in my house, and a pretty special treat. I got to play a lot of different games that I probably never would have heard of this way... as long as they were kid-friendly >.>

Banjo-Kazooie was one of my favourites, and I remember getting pretty far into it, although I almost never beat these rental games. When I they got Banjo-Tooie, I was pretty excited. However, there's a scene near the beginning of the game where King Jingaling gets turned into a zombie that absolutely terrified me. The rest of the game was so awesome that I still wanted to play the game despite a crippling, tear-inducing fear of that one room where Zombie Jingaling stumbles around. I just kept telling myself not to think about it and not to go into his zombified castle..

In reality Zombie Jingaling isn't particularly scary but at that age it was pretty bad and I was still having nightmares about ReDeads. Still, I'll never forget how it was the game I couldn't stop playing despite being terrified of it.

It if's any consolation, in Wind Waker Redeads scared the shit out of me. Fun fact: I learned to read strictly so I could understand the text on screen in The Legend of Zelda: A link to the Past.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:30 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
yess. I learned to read primarily as a direct consequence of needing to read in video games. I learned the word "Haze" from Hazy Maze Cave in SM64 and when it came up on a spelling test I was so damn proud I knew how to spell it when the teacher said it was a tricky word.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:48 AM
I don't anymore.
Noxid said:
yess. I learned to read primarily as a direct consequence of needing to read in video games. I learned the word "Haze" from Hazy Maze Cave in SM64 and when it came up on a spelling test I was so damn proud I knew how to spell it when the teacher said it was a tricky word.

We are nerds. Deal with it.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:51 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
So what do you think of my story?

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:56 AM
I don't anymore.
WoodenRat said:
So what do you think of my story?

It was pretty cool as well. I'm animating a hinge movement character at the moment so I was only responding to certain posts.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:02 AM
Been here way too long...
Noxid said:
The word "matriarch" was on a spelling test in grade 4 and I FUCKING NAILED IT because of StarCraft.
Woooo.

Noxid said:
However, there's a scene near the beginning of the game where King Jingaling gets turned into a zombie that absolutely terrified me. The rest of the game was so awesome that I still wanted to play the game despite a crippling, tear-inducing fear of that one room where Zombie Jingaling stumbles around. I just kept telling myself not to think about it and not to go into his zombified castle..
The Emperor's New Groove had a game made for it. It is still the best movie video game I have ever played. In fact, I should torrent that sucker just for old times' sake.
Anyway, near the end, Yzma turns her soldiers into animals. These absolutely scared the shit out of me. They weren't scary animals; they were cows and gorillas, but Amnesia terrified me less than these guys.
The first animal encounter is in a small room with just one gorilla. All you have to do is kill it to progress. Everything's well-lit, it's not suspenseful, there is nothing scary about this situation other than the gorilla is large and difficult to kill. I was also scared of the noises it made, which were some guy doing a gorilla imitation.
Scared shitless.
Even worse was when you had to do a puzzle section while fighting infinitely spawning cows. It took me a while, but I eventually conquered my fear of these guys, but never the gorillas. I had my brother kill them for me.

Oh wow I'm nostalgia'ing so hard right now. Thank you for making this thread, Noxid.

Noxid said:
I was still having nightmares about ReDeads.
Those things scared the daylights out of me when I was watching my friend play that game. Even when I played that game on an emulator at age 16, they were freaky.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:06 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
The best games ever when I was younger were games like the first Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil 2. I still need to find a copy of these 2 PS games, so that I can play through them fully again.

The games that are truly nostalgic to me are the Donkey Kong Country games, Super Mario World, the Sonic games on the genesis, Jurrasic park on the genesis, and Secret of Evermore on the SNES.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:10 AM
I don't anymore.
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil 2.

(Checks bin)
Got those too. I had alot of ps1 games cause I didn't get another game system untill 2003, "Game Cube".

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:58 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
The first game I ever completed was Ocarina of Time. I felt like such a badass when I finished, I didn't even check a guide for the water dungeon.

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:22 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"

'Nuff said.

I also have fond memories of the original Star Wars Rogue Squadron game on N64.

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:41 PM
LSD
"..."
Yakkers said:

Do those fly things looks anything or act anything like the ones in the Plantation to anyone else?

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:07 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I'd say my nostalgia lies in Final Fantasy 9.

I played a lot of awesome N64 games (Zelda, Mario, Lylat Wars....) and PS1 games (Spyro, Crash...) but Final Fantasy was the RPG I had ever seen or played, I had no idea they existed at that time.

I was 9, took me 2 years to finish.

Good times, good times.....
Man I could go for some Goldfinger for N64 right now.

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:21 PM
Final Fantasy 3 was my nostalgia FF game.
It was just awesome because robots :3

Also, Yoshi's Island, the GBA port.
Good times, I still play that game

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:50 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Oh no, OH GOD NO.
SOMEONE POST THIS THREAD TO THE NEXT PAGE!!!
I have nightmares of that game.
*crawls into a ball*

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:41 PM
Someguy said:
Oh no, OH GOD NO.
SOMEONE POST THIS THREAD TO THE NEXT PAGE!!!
I have nightmares of that game.
*crawls into a ball*

Er... Which game is that?

EDIT: ooh ooh, I remembered a super nostalgic game for me: Runescape
Man that was my favorite thing to do from 3rd to 6th grade.
So much nostalgia, I had the same pseudonym as on the forums, iirc.