New modes in the 3DS Cave Story+ release?

Oct 5, 2012 at 6:31 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
According to Nicalis' blog there are supposed to be new challenges, anyone know what these are yet? I thought this board would be teeming with topics about the game but I guess it's just one re-release too many? Or perhaps it's just too soon and everyone is too busy playing it :p

If anyone finds out please let me know, I'm very curious and a friend of mine is unsure whether to get this version or the Steam one, it's hard to say whether this one will be the definitive version thus far.

And here's a link to Nicalis' blog post I was referring to: http://blog.nicalis....on-october-4th/

Oct 5, 2012 at 8:54 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Boss mode, hell mode, done.

If Nicalis did something interesting with actual gameplay this time I'd be legitimately shocked.

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I thought they were also going to have Wind Fortress and Nemesis Challenge?

Oct 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
There is:
  • Time Attack
  • Boss Attack
  • Wind Fortress
  • Nemesis Challenge
  • Curly Story (BUT IT DOESN'T WORK!!!)
  • Jukebox

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:10 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
What? You know what? Pixel has enough of my money.

One: Pixel never has enough of anybody's money, mang.

Two: How much of it actually goes to him, anyway? Doesn't Nicalis get like... most of it?

Three: Practically anyone on these forums would get on their knees to blow Pixel, buying like seventeen versions of Cave Story is nothing compared to that.

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:46 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
One: Pixel never has enough of anybody's money, mang.

Two: How much of it actually goes to him, anyway? Doesn't Nicalis get like... most of it?

Three: Practically anyone on these forums would get on their knees to blow Pixel, buying like seventeen versions of Cave Story is nothing compared to that.
Maybe. I just wanted to contradict the phrase to prove a point.

I'm going to give Nicalis my three points of advice on the matter of rereleasing Cave Story.

Number one: stop

Number two: don't

Number three: why?
That's not even a suggestion, it's more of a question really.

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:59 AM
Professional Whatever
Nicalis needs to actually grow up and find better games to steal. I mean really, you can only milk CS for so long. I liked it way better when CS was a hidden gem.
On another note they STILL haven't added in Take 8.

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:04 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Wow, so no new modes, but Curly Mode was broken? Seriously?

I'm appalled. Appalled because of the circumstances of this game, which used to be known (and imo still is) the best indie game of all time. I remember when I was waiting for Cave Story to have just a shot at a console/handheld port, and now look...there's like 5 of them in the span of a year or two. Nothing really wrong with that, but I think Cave Story's image has been devalued overall. I don't think any of the ports have been advertised anywhere close to the way they should have (not to mention I've only seen CS3D in like one store), and there have been issues with pretty much all of them.

I can understand there being unforeseeable problems, and stuff does happen, but I can't really for the life for me understand how something like an entire mode being unplayable (forget the fact that the mode itself is nothing really special anyway) can happen on release. I like Nicalis because it seems they have the right intentions, but this is ridiculous. All it tells me is that it's pure laziness on their part, because if the latest rendition of Cave Story was released as a retail title it sure as hell wouldn't be like this. I just feel like the whole thing went awry from the first release on WiiWare, when it could have been so much better. I guess that I ranted a bit there, but I felt it needed to be said.

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
lol I don't even mind supporting Pixel and Nicalis in whatever ways I can and in fact I'm very pleased with Cave Story+, I think it's fantastic when all is said and done. I just wish there weren't all those hiccups along the way, it just seems to me like there's less interest, care and activity for Cave Story in general than there was before all the ports came out. I don't know how much of that can be attributed to a lack of advertising and the initial Wii release, but it wasn't what I was expecting. In any case it's nice that the game was patched so quickly, I think I'll recommend my friend to get this version now since it seems to be on par to the Steam version with the exception of music/graphics but with added 3D and of course the portability.

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:06 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I believe they just fixed Curly Mode with an update. You have to go to the eshop store page for Cave Story and it will say update. Although I wish they would have all the updates in the Settings like before.

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
lol I don't even mind supporting Pixel and Nicalis in whatever ways I can and in fact I'm very pleased with Cave Story+, I think it's fantastic when all is said and done. I just wish there weren't all those hiccups along the way, it just seems to me like there's less interest, care and activity for Cave Story in general than there was before all the ports came out. I don't know how much of that can be attributed to a lack of advertising and the initial Wii release, but it wasn't what I was expecting. In any case it's nice that the game was patched so quickly, I think I'll recommend my friend to get this version now since it seems to be on par to the Steam version with the exception of music/graphics but with added 3D and of course the portability.

Yeah, I agreed with all of that.

I support the idea of multiple ports because like, let's be honest, this forum probably started seeing a lot more traffic after Nicalis came onto the scene. We've opened up the Cave Story fandom and brought in a lot of new fans. I think after this port there may not be any more left out there (potential fans), but I guess you never know.

Doesn't help that forum rejects are telling new fans to avoid joining this place, though.

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I support the idea of multiple ports because like, let's be honest, this forum probably started seeing a lot more traffic after Nicalis came onto the scene. We've opened up the Cave Story fandom and brought in a lot of new fans. I think after this port there may not be any more left out there (potential fans), but I guess you never know.

It's a shame a large percentage of those fans brought here have been 12 year olds/people who don't know how to conduct themselves properly on a forum.

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:54 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I still don't entirely understand why that's the case, but I guess Cave Story kind of looks like a kids' game? There are some dark themes in it though, so that's what has me confused. I guess 12 year olds are big enough to handle that stuff.

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:30 AM
I really don't understand why people are complaining about Nicalis milking cave story, or suggesting that it's somehow "not one of the best indie games anymore" once Nicalis got ahold of it. Umm... last I checked, the original game is still available for free on PC. So why complain? I'd personally rather have a bunch of milked ports and updates that spread the game to a wider audience than have nothing at all. Heck, I was introduced because of the 3DS eShop version, myself (and I absolutely love it!).

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:24 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I'd personally rather have a bunch of good ports and updates that spread the game to a mature audience than have a bunch of milked ports and updates that spread the game to a wider audience.

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:00 PM
I'd personally rather have a bunch of good ports and updates that spread the game to a mature audience than have a bunch of milked ports and updates that spread the game to a wider audience.
how are "good" ports different from "milked" ports? And how the HECK can they purposely spread the game "only" to what you consider "mature" audiences?

No offense, but that's seriously one of the most elitist things I've heard.

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Here's a scary thought: I think Cave Story has about as many ports as Final Fantasy IV now, despite Square milking that goat for over a decade longer

No offense, but that's seriously one of the most elitist things I've heard.
You should get out more