Music/Sound Hacking

Aug 23, 2006 at 8:46 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
timmy_isdaman said:
If you really can't get it working via ASM (AKA the good way). You could zero out all the sounds (see earlier in this thread for the addresses). And then replace all of the ORG's (using reshack) with an empty ORG file.

EDIT:
I have made such a file here (made with a hex editor and untested but should be right):
http://www.johnhawthorn.com/null.org

Ahem, why u dont use 00 insteand of Recourse hacker? ... U know I tihnk u shouldn't use that programm cuz it makes bugs...

Edit: You mustnt replace them, u can just remove Music commands in TSC...
And I think Rune can figure out where the Title Screen the Music choose...

Aug 23, 2006 at 2:41 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I'll post those two offsets (music) when I get my internet back, if anyone wants them.

I think he meant the sounds though, not the music...

Aug 23, 2006 at 4:01 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I want to eliminate all noise(music and sound effects) from cave story so that I can listen to my own music and other audio while playing.
Runmaster, if you could post a screenshot of what your hex editor is seeing when you are disabling the Direct sound, I'd be very thankful. :)

Aug 23, 2006 at 6:15 PM
The Bartender
A lack of internet at home (I should put that in my sig or something, at this rate...) make this impossible. Regardless, this is assembly, not hex, so you'd need to use a disassembler to get results.

I'll post a link to a disassembly of Cave Story once I get my internet back. Assuming I don't forget.

Aug 23, 2006 at 6:38 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Ah ha!
I see what you mean now. :)
A disassembler, not a hex editor...

Aug 23, 2006 at 7:40 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Don't you have any floppy disks at home, man? :)

Aug 23, 2006 at 8:05 PM
The Bartender
Well, not really, though I could buy some. The problem is that the dump is about 4 megs... :) I suppose I could split it up in multiple files though.

I'm getting my internet back in a few days though, so it won't be a problem anymore then. I'll also be able to post my assembly primer, mini-compiler, and the latest version of my hack..

Aug 23, 2006 at 8:18 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
ShInInG PhAnToM said:
Ahem, why u dont use 00 insteand of Recourse hacker? ... U know I tihnk u shouldn't use that programm cuz it makes bugs...

Edit: You mustnt replace them, u can just remove Music commands in TSC...
And I think Rune can figure out where the Title Screen the Music choose...

If by 00 you mean zero them out, I do not want to do that as I'm afraid that the game would give errors about missing Org-02 sigs and such (I also have a hunch from the way Pixel codes that this would cause a divide by zero error). However zeroing out the sounds and removing all the tsc commands is a fine approach as well.

If you're worried that the Resource Hacker will cause "bugs" you could create a script to do all the work.

Code:
# This will replace bites of and following last 42 occurances of 'Org-02' with with the file 'null.org'
# I havn't tested it but I bet it works

for offset in `strings -t d CaveStory.exe | grep Org-02 | tail -n 42 | sed "s/^ //g" | cut -f 1 -d ' '`
do
dd if=null.org of=CaveStory.exe seek=$offset bs=1
done

Just trying to provide a second solution to the problem; however, if you do figure out assembly (most don't), Rune's solution is much simpler. If you really care (you shouldn't) the executable produced in this method will use less CPU time :).

Aug 23, 2006 at 8:39 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
RuneLancer said:
I'm getting my internet back in a few days though, so it won't be a problem anymore then. I'll also be able to post my assembly primer, mini-compiler, and the latest version of my hack..
I can't wait! :)
Especially for your hack....

Jul 7, 2008 at 2:40 PM
Hoxtilicious
This thread was created when me was young D:
Please don't read it, my english was bad >_<;

Anyway, I already edited some sounds, a sound importer would be cool D:
And everyone knows about the music.

Just use ResHacker.

~ Sticky ~

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:58 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
This makes no sense at all. What really gets my attention is that Doom builder (an editor for a 3D game) Is easier then hacking Cave story which is a 2D. Why couldn't it just be changing the music/sound name? :(

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:03 AM
The Bartender
Lizzaroro said:
This makes no sense at all. What really gets my attention is that Doom builder (an editor for a 3D game) Is easier then hacking Cave story which is a 2D.
This is a shot in the dark, but that's probably because Doom Builder is an editor and not a compiled game. The purpose of an editor is to edit a game. The purpose of a game is to be played. They're not easily interchangeable generally.

I should also point out that wether the graphics are 2D or 3D makes no difference on how easy/hard hacking sounds is. ;P

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:42 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I want an easy example. Just say I want to change the Tittlescreen music to something else. How do I do that very simple thing?

Aug 23, 2008 at 2:48 AM
*Sarcasism* I really like it how you guys ignore me! You are the most helpful people ever! *Sarcasism*

Aug 23, 2008 at 2:55 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Ah what what what what ?_? I forgot about this thread...
Well firstly you need to have the music prepared as an .org file since AFAIK that is the only type of music the game plays. Then you need to use a resource hacker to replace an old song with the new one, which would in this case be the title screen music/plantation theme. I don't know that much about it, the music hacking FAQ can probably explain it better than I can, but if you don't understand that then you're going to have to learn some assembly stuff before you can do it properly.

Aug 23, 2008 at 5:29 AM
Hoxtilicious
What exactly what do you want to change? The music itself, like adding costum music? Or want to change the music to a song which is already there?

Aug 23, 2008 at 6:20 PM
@Lizaroro
Hacking is not a simple thing. However, there are tools, such as a hex editor or Resource Hacker that can make it easier. To replace the title screen music, you need to get resource hacker, and open doukutsu.exe. Then you open the ORG resources, and open the folder that says CURLY, then you right click on the curly track and select, "Replace Resource" Pick an org to replace it with, and then under resource type write ORG, under Resource Name, write CURLY, and under Resource Language, write 1041.

However, if you open this hacked doukutsu with sues, it will corrupt the exe.

Use the search function next time.
Seriously :rolleyes:

Lace

Aug 23, 2008 at 7:47 PM
Hoxtilicious
Lace said:
However, if you open this hacked doukutsu with sues, it will corrupt the exe.

Long believed mistake!
Thats not correct :rolleyes:
It will not corrupt the exe, instead adding/changing orgfiles screw up the offsets. :D

Anyway, I'm asking again, what EXACTLY do you want to do? Do you want to REPLACE orgs in the exe itself, or just do you want to have a DIFFERENT org played? :rolleyes:

Aug 23, 2008 at 10:04 PM
Really? Hmm... That's interesting. :rolleyes:
It has the same effect though, the file becomes "Not a Valid Windows 32" File when edited with sues, so I presumed it was corrupted. Ahh, that makes sense :rolleyes: .

Ah well, When I saw Lizaroro's post I thought that they meant replacing the ORG with a new one. However, changing it is easy. Just fire up your Hex editor, search for the text CURLY, and replace it with another valid name, such as MDown2 for the Sand zone music. This would replace all instances of that music though, but it only appears twice. (Plant and Title)

Just for easyness, the songs are:
Access - Access
Gestation - Vivi
Mimiga Town - Mura
Plant - Plant
Balrog's Theme - Ginsuke
Gravity - Gravity
Cemetery - Cemetery
Safety - Anzen
Mischievious Robot - Wanpaku
Pulse - Kodou
On to Grasstown - Weed
Eyes of Flame - FireEye
Meltdown - MDown2
Tyrant - Dr
Run! - Escape
Jenka - Jenka
Labyrinth - Jenka2
Labyrinth Fight - Maze
Geothermal - Grand
Oppression - ironH
Living Waterway - Marine
Quiet - quiet
Scorching Back - Wanpak2
Moonsong - Oside
Hero's End - Requiem
Cave Story - Curly
Last Cave - LastCave
Balcony - Balcony
Charge - LastBtl
Zombie - Zonbie
Last Battle - LastBtl3
Break Down - BreakDown
Running Hell - Hell
Seal Chamber - Ballos
The Way Back Home - Ending
Toroko's Theme - Toroko
King's Theme - White
Key Item - Fanfale1
Upgrade Item - Fanfale2
Boss Defeated - Fanfale3
Game Over - Gameover
Unknown - NewData
Silence - XXXX

Cheers,
Lace

PS: This is all theoretical, I'll test it when I have some time.

Aug 24, 2008 at 11:04 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
«мε†αlσgz» says (6:02 PM):
"If you're reffering to changing the title screen music, the offset is: 0xFECB"
«мε†αlσgz» says (6:03 PM):
"It's already stated by RuneLancer somewhere in a thread.... >_>"