MP3's in Cave Story

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:52 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Celtic Minstrel said:
I'm pretty sure Paste in my hex editor performs an insert, not a replace, as it should (unless something is selected, of course, in which case it replaces the selection, again as it should). That's how Paste works in every other program; why should it be different for hex editors?

It's pretty easy to just use "overwrite" instead of "insert" though.

Well, assuming you're using XVI32 though.

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:40 PM
Banned
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Maybe not the thing you've been talking 'bout, but bringing in an other subject is good sometimes too... So here goes:
When i saw the thread title, i totally flipped out! I thought WOOHOO, but i saw different things then i've suspected... But, is this possible on mac too? I REALLY want to put my own music in CS! If not, anyone any suggestions on how to make it for mac?

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:49 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
No, this is an ASM hack and that means that there is 0% chance of it being transferrable to mac.

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:54 PM
Banned
Noxid said:
No, this is an ASM hack and that means that there is 0% chance of it being transferrable to mac.

Kay then...
What'sa ASM?

Jun 22, 2010 at 7:49 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Okay, before I forget, I've written a Python script to automatically apply this hack to Doukutsu.exe.

Download it here. Follow the instructions in the readme file. Now you don't have to do the tedious copying and pasting of the hex codes in OllyDbg.

(please make a backup of your exe before using the program. After using the program, you still have to run RunMe.bat)

=================
Merlinoboy said:
I REALLY want to put my own music in CS!
At least for windows, this hack is not necessary to put in custom (organya) music. However, this does extend the drumset, and also makes it possible to replace the WAVs, so that you could have full length WAV tracks.

Merlinoboy said:
Kay then...
What'sa ASM?
ASM = Assembly. Assembly languages are a low-level (low-level means close to the hardware) programming set designed for programming computers, mobile devices, and anything else designed with a processor or microprocessor. They are a symbolic representation of the machine codes that get fed into your computer processor, and will only work on a specific type of architecture (in this case, Windows machines).

Noxid said:
The best way would probably be WINE, though I have no idea how successful it may be.

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:39 PM
Banned
I HATE wine... I tried to get it workin for two years exactly... And countless times i've been advised the same, irritating, never working, wine! And then it seems to be the only free emulator... So, no. It isn't going to be wine, in my case, darwine.

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:44 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Merlinoboy said:
I HATE wine... I tried to get it workin for two years exactly... And countless times i've been advised the same, irritating, never working, wine! And then it seems to be the only free emulator... So, no. It isn't going to be wine, in my case, darwine.

Sorry about that. When we Windows users have a windows -> mac issue, we really know nothing about macs, so we immediately yell "WINE!" without thinking much about it. I realize that WINE has many issues and that it is far from working perfectly with many types of windows applications. That said, it is extremely unlikely, next to impossible, to transfer this hack over to a mac version of cavestory using any of our current hacking knowledge.

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:48 PM
Banned
carrotlord said:
That said, it is extremely unlikely, next to impossible, to transfer this hack over to a mac version of cavestory.

Y'think imma giving up that easily? Im not resting here!

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:50 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
But you won't get much help from most of us because we really don't know enough to help

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:22 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Merlinoboy said:
But, is this possible on mac too? I REALLY want to put my own music in CS! If not, anyone any suggestions on how to make it for mac?
Yes. Learn x86 and PPC assembly, disassemble the Mac executable, and figure out how it works. Once you've done that, you can duplicate this hack for the Mac.

That's not as easy as I made it sound, by the way.

Noxid said:
I wouldn't say 0%; if the hack doesn't rely on calling any system library functions, it could probably be transferred to Mac with just minor tweaking. (And then a copy translated into PPC assembly so that it works on all Macs.) If it does call system library functions (which wouldn't surprise me), it'd be a bit more difficult to port it. Not impossible though.

carrotlord said:
Okay, before I forget, I've written a Python script to automatically apply this hack to Doukutsu.exe.
Oh good, that was desperately needed. :rolleyes:

carrotlord said:
The best way would probably be WINE, though I have no idea how successful it may be.
I think the regular Cave Story works on WINE. I remember some hacks not working, but that was on Darwine where there was a nasty graphics bug; I haven't tested them since upgrading to WINE proper.

Merlinoboy said:
Well, if you're using Darwine, that's your problem right there. There's a newer version available (no longer called Darwine) that works a lot better. At least, it no longer has that graphics bug that prevents DirectX programs from running. Of course, you can only use that version if you have an Intel mac.