Modding Woes

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:06 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
We've all been there. Working on some sweet new bit of stage design, and all of a sudden, full stop. You want to do A, but the game will not let you do A. You could maybe get away with B, but that's only a shadow of how great it would be to have A.

Tell us about the "I wish I coulda" you experience when modding. It'd probably be best not to gripe about your own ineptitiude with things that are easily done with the vanilla engine, but rather that which cannot.

One of my biggest pet peeves, for example, is the single layer of tiles. I would love to put that chain in front of those rocks in the background, but nope, gotta draw a new tile. And then I have to open up the image editor, and then I have to set the tile type, and it's just a huge hassle.

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:07 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I wish I could add an arbitrarily large number of extra maps to Cave Story without causing pain for anybody who wants to port a mod to Mac, PSP, etc.

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:25 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Part of the reason I gave up on my first mod project was because Curly only shoots at Labyrinth enemies (the other part being that it had no real endgame direction, and the other other part being that I keep forgetting I can't draw). But yeah I generally don't feel restricted by Cave Story's basic capabilities? I kind of like working with limited systems, because they encourage me to think up creative ways to achieve results beyond what they were intended for. I don't mind a bit of hackery here and there (e.g. weapons, changing these up really helps keep things new and interesting), but if I'm looking to mod a given game rather than make my own my mindset is just that - to come up with ideas that fit the capabilities of what I'm working with.

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:46 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Always been a little bugged at the derpy .org limits. I know there's ways around it, but in the end it only nets you like, two extra .orgs. Wish there was some way to get them to load from a resource folder like tilesets and NPC sprites, but I doubt that's remotely possible without screwing something else up horribly or simply not being possible at all.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:19 PM
Been here way too long...
DoubleThink said:
Part of the reason I gave up on my first mod project was because Curly only shoots at Labyrinth enemies.
I thought I had released the hack that allowed you to change that?

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:33 PM
Band
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
can I see that mod?

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:51 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Lace said:
I thought I had released the hack that allowed you to change that?
Had you released it in 2008? NoooOOOOOooooo. I hold you solely responsible :)

404notfound said:
can I see that mod?
It never really got out of the Microsoft Word development stage

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:49 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Oh yea, lot's of failure on my part with modding. This is often how I solve other problems often. Well, I sometimes used to swear at the beginning when something goes wrong - I need to stop that habbit lol. Then I try to think positively and constructively, even meditate on it.

Then I'll make a decision if I really want that thing:
IF YES: I develelop a faith that I'll 100% complete my goal. I'll do it no mather what, through water and fire, etc....like a monster...without any spare of my time and energy.
IF NO: I postpone/drop it with a smile.

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:58 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Can't add two curlies.