MODCON 20 4-15 Discussion and Voting thread

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:28 PM
"Huzzah!"
Great. See you next year.

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:17 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Happy one-month bump. I decided to try and put together the points for the technical sections, to begin working toward something everyone will be alright with.
A Walk Through The Snow: Uhh... nothing obvious springs to mind? It's completed, quite polished and has no scripting errors that I found. The secondary path is somewhat redundant, but there's nothing wrong with it being there as such. (This would mean a full 30 points.)

Alosona.4: Both unfinished and very short, -2. Rushed ending, -2. It's possible to bypass the event on the second map and fall offscreen, -1. Non-trivial text visibility issues, -1. -6 preliminary total.

DELETE: Unfinished, -1. Rushed dialogue in a number of places, -1. Possible to gain infinite ammo from the event that gives the shooty gun, for what difference even that makes given that it recharges so quickly. Maybe a small scripting error somewhere on the big map before the end? -2 preliminary total.

Don't Let Go: Everything is servicably functional toward the mod's end, although I imagine it would get very silly if it were attempted to be played any other way. I will say that I was pushing it close on time, leaving little time to clean up the mapping, along with a couple of minor errors I can still notice. For that I'll dock at least 1 point overall.

Hullet Bell: Using the secret level skip too near to the end of a stage will fail to skip the fight but spawn no boss, -1. It's also seemingly possible to infinitely milk the final boss for powerup 'score' but even professional game designers still struggle with that one :cool: -1 preliminary total.

Pawprint Paradise: Again, everything seems to work properly here, unless someone found a mis-cued interaction somewhere.

Story: From what I remember: Mahin has a normal facepic/dialogue at some point when he's not supposed to, -1. Music continuing to play after the Balrog battle, -1. Possible to get outside the map in the final level (according to Hiino), -1? Also not finished and (albeit intentionally) has a sizable portion of the unedited game included, -1. -4 preliminary total.

Terri's Night Out: The 'door' outside uses KEY for its event instead of PRI while there are still enemies moving around, -1. A couple of events could have been scripted a little better but aren't technically mistakes. -1 preliminary total. Use of borrowed material may be a point of contention?
I've tried to go for a balanced approach, nothing too harsh while still picking out the mistakes as per the guidelines and allowing some room to change. Of course if anybody has discovered anything not mentioned here, they can let it be known. Game votes are still welcomed, as well. Get involved and support your friends & the community! :orangebell:

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:21 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Bless your heart, DT.

I actually did try to get conversation started and we did, but then things got a touch heated and I kind of ran away. I can't let that bother me if we're to get this done, as is our duty. We only need to decide on the technical section as a group, of course - the creativity judging will be an average, so maybe discussing the mods is actually less beneficial to our productivity. Laying out our individual reasons for scoring in spoilers should probably be done for fairness, though.

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:37 PM
"Huzzah!"
By Default: Nobody Wins!!!

Why did this have to be this way?
Oh I know! Everyone loves to procrastinate! (Including myself)

I was hoping this could be resolved by the time I got back, but, oh well.
Nobody cares.
I honestly don't

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2015 at 7:43 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

Nobody cares.
I honestly don't
you already disowned the contest
we're in charge and totally finishing it

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:01 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
the island contest is over

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:15 AM
when this contest ends, I will command tpcool to send the winner a pack of Ale 8

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:23 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
this is something that i will actually do

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:25 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
ALRIGHT KIDS I have the results of the judging here and not a moment to soon:
Polaris
A Walk Through The Snow: 15
Alosona.4: 7
DELETE: 12
Don't Let Go: 13
Hullet Bell: 15
Pawprint Paradise: 11
story: 14
Terri's Night Out: 5

Nameless
A Walk Through The Snow: 12
Alosona.4: 6
DELETE: 15
Don't Let Go: 14
Hullet Bell: 12
Pawprint Paradise: 11
story: 13
Terri's Night Out: 5

GIR (apparently)
A Walk Through the Snow: 14
Alosona.4: 3
DELETE: 13
Don't Let Go: 13
Hullet Bell: 14
Pawprint Paradise: 12
story: 13
Terri's Night Out: 6

dunc
(Pending)
Note that the judges decided to rate these out of 15, so they will be doubled in the final result.

Now it's time to get that hype train rolling again yoooooooooooooooo
I'm going to allow for another
¡¡¡TWO WEEKS!!!
for everything to be finalised and for anyone who hasn't voted yet to do so.
PEOPLE WHO HAVE VOTED SO FAR: 2DBro, Paths, Me, X-Calibar, SeasonsOfDestiny, Kim Tyranto, Noxid, SuperJaws100, Solaris, The Artist Formerly Known As Randolf, Tpcool
PEOPLE WHO HAVE GIVEN MOD RATINGS BUT NO ACTUAL VOTE: BLink, Safusaka

Have any opinions you haven't shared yet? Any comments to start up the discussion again? A new member who wasn't here or one who missed the original contest and wants to have a GREAT TIME?????? The goodies are all still here and ready to go, now finely aged and impeccably preserved. Let the modcon begin continue!!!! :D

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:07 PM
Have any opinions you haven't shared yet? Any comments to start up the discussion again?
I have one I suppose

Nobody cares.
I honestly don't
I did? Well it has been forever since I signed on, so I probably forgot about this.
Goodbye
(The probability that you finish this is the same as http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/the-island-mod-contest.2156/)
hahahaha
fuck you
anyway, it's good to know we're finally finishing this up after like a year
just so you all know the original thread was started on december 15, 2014, meaning that if we take 9 more days we have officially taken a year to finish this

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:44 PM
"Huzzah!"
I have one I suppose

hahahaha
fuck you
anyway, it's good to know we're finally finishing this up after like a year
just so you all know the original thread was started on december 15, 2014, meaning that if we take 9 more days we have officially taken a year to finish this

Thank you. I needed that.

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:05 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I choose 1. Hullet Bell and 2. A Walk Through the Snow. Hullet Bell was quite original, and the way that it was executed was really good. All of the others are my honerable mentions.

Last edited: