Mod Promotion

Nov 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
We don't really work on this basis, though. Mods of mods aren't allowed without permission (as you're familiar with), nor is use of 2x res, so if we were going to go that far we might as say "well uh you posted it here so you have to put up with whatever anyone else does to it" (which doesn't happen). It also begs the question of *why* anyone here would go against the creator's wishes and spread something around for any reason other than spite.
Sharing a person's work as they intended it to be shown is different from stealing from another person's mod/work and claiming it as your own.
If I had to mention one mod for the list, it may as well be Take 8, seeing as public release was exactly what it was designed for and everyone who worked on it would have known that (also, it's actually finished(ish)).

I'm sorry but I really believe that Take 8 is a very poor mod. There wasn't any quality control with the level submissions and it really shows in a lot of parts.

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Based Member
Not sure who did what parts of Take 8, but I'm doubtful that the only part I played was the part you made, Dunc. I'm with GIR here. Take 8 was pretty bad. It had fake difficulty, not enough available NPC interaction, sometimes not letting you refill your health when you complete an area, forcing you to get hurt to get a life capsule (sometimes even twice for just one), and mediocre level design. If it gets much better after the Grit zone, then sorry I'm judging the mod as a whole based on just the beginning parts, but starting a mod out bad is an excellent way to scare the player away from playing any more, which happened to me. Now I heard that somewhere in Take 8 is Noxid's temple thing, which I actually enjoyed, so good job on that, if you're reading this Noxid. I'm wanting to say Lace contributed to that too. If I've heard correctly, then kudos to you too for the Pyramid, Lace. But aside from that, Take 8 is a display of all the characteristics of mediocrity found in Cave Story mods that Matt exploits in his thread.

I'm really sorry to be coming down so hard on you DT. I know this ultimately your mod, and that you if anybody would be offended by this (considering how much you work you were putting into organizing this, and putting it all together), but Take 8 doesn't deserve to go on this list.

Also, I'm in support of putting Curly's Past on this list. Basically, it's a mod that was already awesome, but with some glitches fixed, a few areas being a bit more polished, and kindof gives it an ending.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:15 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
We don't really work on this basis, though. Mods of mods aren't allowed without permission (as you're familiar with), nor is use of 2x res, so if we were going to go that far we might as say "well uh you posted it here so you have to put up with whatever anyone else does to it" (which doesn't happen). It also begs the question of *why* anyone here would go against the creator's wishes and spread something around for any reason other than spite.

Uhh... I'm not really following you here...

To the best of my knowledge, few (if any) modders on this site have expressed any wishes that their mods not be spread around, so I don't really see what the issue is here. It seems highly counterintuitive to me that anyone who has created something that they're proud of would be opposed to having their work spread to a wider audience.

Also, I'm not sure what "The Untold Story" has to do with this discussion, as that was about making a mod of a mod, while this is simply about making existing mods known to a wider audience.

A few mods that have not yet been mentioned, but I think should be:

Path of Ruin
The Witching Hour
Pirate - The Untold Story
The Show

A complete list of all the mods that have been listed in the thread so far, including the ones I just mentioned (Dinny, you might wanna put this in the OP)

King: Strife & Sacrifice
Cave Story - Redesign
WTF Story
Jenka's Nightmare [revived?]
Curly Brace's Story/Curly's Past
Cave Story with a 4th ending
something by Carrotlord (A Lost Land and/or The Witching Hour)
The Mimiga Army
Schism
something by Ralren (Tale of the Broxxus and/or Path of Ruin)
The Wrath of Revorshkenahl
Eternal Chaos
something by Nator
Boss Rush
something by Metalogz (Magic~ and/or The Future)
Original Sin
Cave Story - hard mode (by SeriousFace)
Take 8
Pirate - the Untold Story
The Show

That comes out to 20 mods, assuming we don't include two mods by the same person. So maybe make it a top 20 instead of a top 10?

edit: also Towers (by matt) - so that makes 21 now.

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:10 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
@ Take 8: It sounds like neither of you have kept up with the version updates, which have fixed or improved almost all of the major complaints I can think of (trial & error, difficulty curve, bugs, etc). Really if this is what qualifies as "very poor" then nothing we have should be fit to show off. Even several of the other mods mentioned so far have identical problems (particularly sections of messy level design), some in greater quantities.

I know this ultimately your mod,
I'm the entire community?

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:38 AM
Based Member
@ Take 8: It sounds like neither of you have kept up with the version updates, which have fixed or improved almost all of the major complaints I can think of (trial & error, difficulty curve, bugs, etc).
Before I made that post, I went to your thread to refresh my memory and see if anything had changed, and downloaded what appeared to be the latest and final version:
Take8link.jpg

And the only changes I noticed were the ones you said you had made, which were really only minor bug fixes if I recall correctly. So Take 8 is almost as bad as it was when I first played it. Also, I thought you said yourself that your weren't going to make any drastic changes:
Hayden: I'd either decided against those things for a reason or they weren't a big enough deal to spend time on.

Really if this is what qualifies as "very poor" then nothing we have should be fit to show off. Even several of the other mods mentioned so far have identical problems (particularly sections of messy level design), some in greater quantities.
I think someone's a bit biased for his own work.

I'm the entire community?
That's not what I meant. You were the leader of that project. You were the one who handled all the releases and bug fixes. You were the most dedicated to it, and and saw it through. And you were the one to message Tyrone about it. I'd say that makes Take 8 more your baby than anyone else's. I also think that's why you're biased for it, as I mentioned above.

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:03 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
@ Take 8: It sounds like neither of you have kept up with the version updates, which have fixed or improved almost all of the major complaints I can think of (trial & error, difficulty curve, bugs, etc). Really if this is what qualifies as "very poor" then nothing we have should be fit to show off. Even several of the other mods mentioned so far have identical problems (particularly sections of messy level design), some in greater quantities.

If you really want I could go over the whole mod in detail and label all the parts that are bad. I quit halfway last time I think.

Some of the levels would have really needed a major overhaul though I think, in order to be "fixed".