Mod: Julian's King

Oct 19, 2006 at 5:45 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Nator said:
I'm a bit dissapointed that you made a 3HP run impossible
I don't see where you need to take a hit. I made it all down the shutters with 3 hp. Since I was retarded and went to the door before getting it, though, there is really no way of knowing that you arn't going to be able to come back.

Oct 20, 2006 at 12:08 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Well, I guess he lost his weapon on the way up. Otherwise, I can just change the story.

I'll go through the door noises tomorrow. Thanks for the tip there, I wouldn't have seen it.

The drowning into quote thing is an old sprite mixup. It's been fixed.

The computer in the boss room is meant to open up the shutters so you can progress down the chute through the level. I kept it open so that people could progress if the boss was too hard (which it is, if you stay in the middle). I'll setup a flag so you can only fight the boss once.

Well, you corner hogs can just drown down there. I'll make the water twice as deep there, to make it that bit harder in the corners.

Yeah, I'll make those shutters save then. The block-changing events don't seem to naturally.

I've had quite an easy time getting onto that fan, just jump the instant you touch the ground, and press left to get back into the flow. I'll remove the spikes...

Yes, opening the shutters to progress down to the bottom will also open a new route back up to the top, because there might be a little suprise there later.

I never thought of sitting in the corners (because I'm too cool), so I never saw the block. I'll remove it.

The place where you're forced to drown is because there isn't any further complete content in that beta. I'll release another one as soon as I can with a few new stages (all loaded with tricky jumps ;), and two new bosses).

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:36 AM
"..."
The way I see it, is your game is hard, quite hard, and I like that. If you don't want to remove the spike, then don't it's up to you not us. But, you should mention that it's going to be hard ;) I had no idea what I was getting into with this one.

As for the boss, I don't think making 2 deep water would change anything, after fighting it form the corner easily for a while I TRIED jumping up to see if they could hit me. They couldn't. I'd make the room 1 square narrower on each end, if you want to take out the corner strategy (and you should, its gay). Although I'd have the player fight that boss later when you have more hp, its a really good idea, but with 3 / 6 hp, its just a pain in the ass.

I look forward to more.

Oct 20, 2006 at 5:49 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Actually, the boss is meant to have less health and about 5 damage. Also, you'll be fighting it with a different weapon (Ballos' Lab, when it betas). I want the game to progress in difficulty - Aquaduct should take a few tries, but be possible. The next levels will be harder though, I have a special suprise for anyone who might not have liked the... deserted house.

Oct 23, 2006 at 7:34 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This MOD is ridicoulus its a sheer debacle to play it, its damn hard! Well I suck at Aquaduct... The new Graphics are very nice! But I want to play full MOD ;O

Oct 28, 2006 at 7:18 AM
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
diph.php

it was here, that ghostly thing shoots stuff at you that does 5 Damage, either i'm too dumb to dodge it somehow, or i'm too dumb to dodge it somehow.

Oct 28, 2006 at 10:28 AM
Said ghost only attacks you when you attack it. If you want to pass, you'll need to hit the jelly first time; you miss = you die.

Oh, and I have decided to greatly extend the Eastern Wall to mostly the north and a little to the south. It also fixes up some storyline.

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:18 AM
The second Julian's King Beta has been uploaded! Enjoy!

Link To Downloads

There are some hints and tips in the Readme for those having trouble with the game. I keep the boss as optional for now, due to it's insanely hard nature.

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:56 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Downloaded the mod and I have to say, "wow".

Not a good "wow" though, the effort you've put into it is fantastic and all, but when you can't get past the first part because of thoose floating cubes (literally, you have to be hit by a bullet in one case to jump up, and thoose things take away 3 damage, so you literally have to be perfect jump for jump) then there's no motivation (I feel) to continue, simply because if this is supposed to be the begining, what the hell is the last boss going to be like?

Seriously though, if you could tweak the difficulty at the begining to be a lil easier, I think it'd work a load better, mainly because the begining is supposed to sooth you into the gameplay, not throw you in the deep end (vets will most likely disagree with me here).

Oct 29, 2006 at 3:35 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
OKAY. I played it right from the start, so I'll go from there.

WARNING: LOTS OF SPOILERS, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

-Oh no, my gun ;_; Hopefully we get that back later... Anyway, the new Outer Wall part is nifty, especially with what you did to the Gunfish. I wouldn't say it was -really- difficult, since you can afford to take a hit, but it can get pretty frustrating, and not everybody has had months of jumping practice in this game like I have. I did get it eventually, but maybe removing just a couple or (God forbid) adding in another save point would make it slightly friendlier.

-Bye bye Missile Launcher, HELLO SNAKE! (Or Shurukin, as the case may be, I'm not sure. It says "you got the =Snake=" when you open the chest). Either way, it makes you a lot more versatile than before. The Pump Room boss is still really hard (I cheated lol), but you said you'd be making it easier, so I guess that can wait.

-Made it through the aquaduct okay, and... POOF. RESERVOIR, YAY! I like how you set up the Mimiga Villiage, especially with the teleporter door thingies, although it can be hard to naviagte in places, which seems odd for a 'safety' zone. Not everywhere needs to have tricky jumps and the like. :) It's also a bit odd that the Map System is in the exact same place it was before. And a couple of debugging things: on door events #115 and #118, you can still move after you open the door, and on returning from the Mimiga Tower the door doesn't 'open'.

-Just a more of an aesthetic issue conserning conversations. It looks a bit weird with Julian's face popping in and out when you talk to people, and it's not like you -have- to have him talking to everyone. Maybe you could have one serious conversation with someone who actually has a face image (meaning Jack or... Jack), and then talk 'normally' with everyone else. That is unless you want to make face images for everyone, and somehow I doubt you do x.x There are also a couple of errors in the conversations you have with Chaco.

-Speaking of Chaco, SHE HAS A SON? ;) When did that happen... anyway, I'm guessing you have yet to edit Oscar's sprite, otherwise he looks like the little girl from the original ._. Oh well, DOWN THE CHUTE WE GO.

-I can't help but wonder why nothing has come out through the other way yet... anyway. How the heck are you supposed to get past the moving block and spikes at 34, 4? I couldn't get through without getting snapped at the edge, I had to turn on invicibility to get past it (THANKYOU Abu's Trainer). Even getting hit by the Gaudi doesn't help since there simply isn't enough space to get through. And in the second part, the spikes at 7, 8 are just unnecessary, I can't seem to jump without hitting them (and consequently dying). Maybe if you move them up one square...? Apart from that, the levels are perfectly beatable and actually well-designed, though you could lay up on the spikes a bit in the second.

-OH NO WHERE DID THE LIGHTS GO. It's pretty clear you need to use the map system in here, but with only 10 health and 5 damage per hit you can be in trouble reeaal quick. Adding in a save point before you enter might make it less daunting, because it's really not too hard just to use the Map and spam the fire button constantly. It's certainly a new twist to the game though, so I commend you for that.

-Pooh Black... literally. I'm glad you put in a save point and terminal just before it, and luckily I still had God-mode on (muahahahahah... I'm lazy :D ). The trouble is it's very hard not to get hit when he comes flying in, especially when you can't see where you're going, and again you only have 10 health. Maybe by making that +2 capsule early on a +3 would making things a bit easier, since with 11 health you can take an extra hit. Anyway, he dies, and... LIGHT. OH THANK GOD. At least getting back is quite a bit easier than going forward (except for that blasted moving block). And the critters are yellow <3. I assume you aren't meant to get that Health Capsule yet, since you can't jump high enough.

-Aaaaand that's the end of it. Overall, it's a very good job, particularly with the sprite editing and overall ingenuity. As I've said, It could use some tweaking, but that's what the debug is for, right? :) The only other qualm I have with the game is its lack of interactivity. In the Mimiga Villiage, for instance, barely anybody tells you anything useful, two say the same thing, and you are given no clues about where to go next or how you are meant to find the Ancient Tunnels, other than a gaping hole in the floor of someone's house. But it's a good mod for the most part; you've obviously put in a lot of effort, and I hope you continue with it until its end.

Oct 29, 2006 at 11:10 AM
--- YE WARNINGS OF YE SPOILERS! ---

Thanks guys. So, here's my response:

Oh yes, you will get back the gun later. Waiting for Ballos's Lab for that one. As I have said before, I don't know how to edit the sprite damage. The Blockies will deal 2 damage with their attack, though I can beat the whole thing without getting hit once (too much practice, maybe?). I'll add in an extra savepoint to be kind.

In the original game, the Snake was called Shurukin, and it used one of the Core's missiles (the blades which spin around). But I decided to change it back until Ballos's Lab comes out (damn, hurry up Rune...)

The Pump Defence System is still hard, until I reduce the Flames damage to 5. That allows you to take a hit, and finish off the boss in what little time you have.

I'll fix up the Mimiga Village for easier access to the areas, if the jumps are too hard. You missed a life capsule somewhere though - remember that you can "examine" simple objects, and more than once. Julian's face flicks in when he's talking - which I think is simple enough to understand. I won't make face images for everyone though.

Yeah, I still have to fix up Chaco and Oscar. Though the storyline dosen't mention it yet, the Gaudi stole Arthur's Key and have started to terrorise the village.

So in the Ancient Tunnels, Snake is your friend. To pass that moving block, get close enough to the edge to start it moving, but not close enough to get crushed. Then, as it's about halfway down, dash through safely. It still has to go all the way down before coming back up to crush you.

Overall, it's pretty easy to get past the first parts of the Ancient Tunnel, until you reach the dark area. I actually playtested this fully without ever thinking of the Map System, so I admit to idiocy there. However, it's worth noting that you can only get said life capsule while the lights are out, and you can use it before Pooh Black.

He's not a tough boss in all fairness, he's very patterened and a levelled Blade will slaughter him, assuming you have all of the available 17 health (you had 10?).

Well, all I have to do now is work the way to Misery and all the levels (and horrendous jumps) in-between. It's great to see that people are willing to go this far in under 11 hours since I posted it. I'll do my best to improve the Village, I knew it was my weak spot. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did making it!

Next version's well on its way.

Oct 29, 2006 at 1:37 PM
Hoxtilicious
Oh no, look at my NPC Hacking FAQ ;)

Oct 29, 2006 at 3:35 PM
Link me to it please. I don't know which one you mean.

Oct 30, 2006 at 5:24 PM
Hoxtilicious
Lolz oh well Filespace is down... :p Gotta upload it somewhere other wait a sec.

Edit:

NPC HACKING FAQ

Edit 2: Played Beta 2 Umm, I tried, start is now much more harder...: ( BUT OMFG BLOCKS THAT SHOOT LOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!111 :p:D:D

Oct 31, 2006 at 4:57 AM
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I'm gunning for a 3HP run, and the spinning eyes are very much harder now. I thought it would be easier with the snake, but nooo.

EDIT: Yay, I defeated them! But that glitch where you can get stuck in there by checking the computer again is still there. >:X

EDIT2: The opening of the shutters doesn't save if you move to another map. I died in the Labrynth, reviving in the Waterway savepoint, where i saved after opening the shutters, but they were closed. I had to do that hellish wind tunnel again. >_<
And PLEASE use a different music in the ancient tunnel. I heard it enough in my hours of the waterway @_@
Lastly, there has to be some way of telling where the enemies are in the dark part. I'm shooting sporadically in all directions, and i get mobbed in the water. not cool.

Oct 31, 2006 at 9:59 AM
Try turning up the sound. They bounce as you get near them, just keep shooting until you kill it.

Nov 4, 2006 at 10:11 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
SPOILERS

Ahaha, yeah, guess I just automatically assumed I found everything :p my bad. I'm not used to interacting with inanimate objects, so I didn't even think of it. (I might add it was fun when I tried it though :p ) I'll play it through again from the top now, hopefully properly this time @.@

Edit: Okay. First, another debugging thing: When you talk to Mahin (the guy who eats all the time), and he turns around, he doesn't turn back when you finish talking to him, but you still jump away from him if you talk to him again. Just looks a bit odd, is all.

I found the Blade (don't have a clue how I missed that last time, musn't have looked). Stil can't figure out how you're meant to get that last Health Capsule though. I managed to get past the moving block by jumping as it moved, but it's still annoying when you're trying to come all that way back and then you die :D Got past the spikes, too, just had to jump properly.

Well I think that's everything, hope that helps.

EDITEDIT: Something else I just remembered; after you find the 'joke' key, and it plays the 'found item' theme, it doesn't revert to playing the normal music again. And what are/were the caverns? o.O

Nov 4, 2006 at 1:15 PM
--- YE WARNINGS OF YE SPOILERS! ---​

If it is really so easy to miss the Blade, then I'll put one of those destructable blocks in the way of the hole. The last life capsule can't be gotten since I made a little edit to the dark chamber closing off the wall to the right of the boss fight. I didn't consider the capsule - it'll be open again for the next version.

I'll fix Mahin. And on another note, I don't think I'll be able to release the Caverns as a proper stage anymore, because it relies on a constant loop which means that the room can't be exited. It's a shame, and I might leave it in the beta so you can play around in it to see what I had in mind, but there's nothing else I can do for it now.
R.I.P. The Caverns

Jun 21, 2007 at 9:37 PM
Updates! Read first post.

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:05 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
whats changed :rolleyes:

this was the first mod i played through, this is a bit buggy tho
especially when you activate the computer in one of the spots if you save you have to re activate it :p