Mod: Julian's King

Jun 12, 2006 at 12:18 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Wow, it's been a long time since I last looked at Cave Story. A lot's changed here on the forums, and I would have lurked for a bit before leaving if not for one jcys810. The act of making some sprites for such a long dead project really touched me, so I decided to rumage through my old files and whip out the CS editor again.

No, this is not going to be completed. I imagine it's nasty, bugged, riddled with errors and so on, and it'll likely stay that way forever. But hell, at least there's some original stuff in it that someone might learn from.

There aren't really any plot updates; and the new stuff's hard enough to be a Corridor transplant. If I were more creative about cutscenes, this might have gone a lot further - but I'm not. Nice instant download this time.

• New stage: Mountains (a bit empty)
  • New stage: Caverns (one-way)
  • New puzzle: Apex (one-way)
_ _ _ _ _ Link To Download [Final Version]

There's some (old, old) screenies, because if I didn't have them then my mod would never have happened, and the paradox would destroy my brain. Though that bottom one is the Mountain stage, which is new.

Have fun (anger), y'all.

diph.php

diph.php

Jun 12, 2006 at 1:38 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Heh, ninja robots.
Seriously though, it sounds good so far. However...if the hero is the one sent to destroy the island, then who becomes the antagonist? And how did Quote lose the Blade? For that matter, which ending are you following? Sorry to pest, but as is my nature, I'm quite curious. :D
As for scripting, use the attached text file, and take a look at other events throughout the original game, and see what you come up with. If you still need help, I'm sure the other forumgoers will be able to assist you.

Attachments

• cave_story_tsc_notes.txt
    19.1 KB · Views: 151
Aug 13, 2006 at 8:18 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Here's a few screenies of the upcoming version. The first boss is too hard at the moment (because I don't know how to edit sprite damage) so I've left a gap where it can be skipped. If anyone can show me how this is done or give some advice, it would be much appreciated.

One

Two

Three

Four

Five

The beta will go up to the third boss fight and stop there. I hope y'all will help out with testing it.

Aug 14, 2006 at 3:06 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Have a look for npc.tbl using the forum search functions. You should turn up a few posts where the format is listed. The damage can be edited there.

Good luck!

Sep 1, 2006 at 12:52 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Is the beta coming any time soon?

Sep 1, 2006 at 9:19 PM
Well the first... stages are complete. Everthing until the Mimiga Village. I could release it, but the filesize is pretty big, probarbly because of the edited .pbms. If nayone could give me somewhere to upload 4-5mb then I'd be glad to release the Beta, on the condition that no-one plays any further than the place where you're forced to drown. I don't want to ruin the story for everyone when it's not polished or fully decided upon.

Sep 1, 2006 at 10:51 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Sep 6, 2006 at 7:45 PM
The First Beta.
I blanked most of the stuff in Sue's for this Beta, but please don't use Sue's on the file until I'm reasonably finished with it.

Sep 7, 2006 at 3:40 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
just played some of it. if you drown, it shows Quote still btw.

it's neat. but I can't get passed the Aquaduct level, keep dying :< (darn you jellyfishies!!)

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:42 PM
I think the Aquaduct should be considered reasonably easy as a stage, if you got the life capsule and I don't think it's even possible without the missile launcher. One thing that is annoying is that I can't find how to [Read after you've played]make the missiles stop spawning because the missile launcher has infinite ammo.

Sep 7, 2006 at 11:18 PM
hm, well the thing is I have the missile launcher, and the Aquaduct is so hard to navigate that it's really easy to just drown, so I hurried to the nearest exit to the
first room without getting any life capsules. sux to be me :>

Sep 8, 2006 at 12:23 AM
The Aquaduct is about perfection - getting everything right first time. Of course, I left a reasonable 10-15 air for slight errors. Overall, just make sure you jump in as soon as you've got a full tank of air.

It's not hard to restart and grab that capusle, parts of the aquaduct get really hard if you're instant killed by jellies. Make sure you can deal with the Aquaduct reasonably, you may be coming back to more of it later in the game.

Sep 8, 2006 at 3:58 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I've downloaded it, but haven't had a chance to really play through it yet.
However, the opening is definatly interesting.

Sep 9, 2006 at 10:25 PM
got past part of Aquaduct. now I'm at the fans. here's a suggestion: see it you can make it where you don't have to wait for the missile to hit something to fire another.
if you miss, and can't shoot, you die. =<

Sep 12, 2006 at 8:21 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
One thing that's bugging me is the fact that my joystick refuses to work with your demo and there is no way to enable it. Any chance of fixing this?
Edit: Ahh nvm, I just had to copy my Config.dat from my unmodded Cavestory game, so that it allowed the joystick.

Oct 15, 2006 at 2:07 PM
Yeah, that's what it's for. I didn't bother to include it. As a note, a lot of people seem to be finding this difficult, so I want to know what the trouble is for the next version. Is the Aquaduct really so hard? I can get past everywhere with 20 air to spare, though I may need to make more air spots. Is this what people want?

For the upcoming stages, Labyrinth, Icecap and Caverns, which all involve tricky and fast jumps, do you want frequent savepoints or easier levels? I'm inclined towards extreme difficulty all the time, so please let me know what you think.

Oct 19, 2006 at 8:14 AM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Thank you Softmints for the mod.
diph.php

Now How can I pass this situation? ;)
The air fans here are pushing me up (some left and some right) while the others are pushing me down... I stuck here, I die everytime I try.

Oct 19, 2006 at 10:20 AM
Been here way too long...
I'm a bit dissapointed that you made a 3HP run impossible, and it needs some work, but it's turning out okay so far. You need to fix the frist boss room, you can keep turning on "boss mode" by searching the computer, trapping you in the room. Also, stop the block from generating when you defeat the boss.

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:27 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
If you want my opinions.

1) The game calls you "a armed robot" that means you have some kind of weapon. Sadly when you start this game you do not.
2) Lots of doors make the door noise with out actually having a door, take out that <SOU on open doors.
3) When you drown you turn back into quote.
4) I have no idea what the pc does in the boss room. You don't know if you should even fight this boss or not, nothing is keeping you from just going down instead, even though you can't get back up to fight him. And as someone said you can fight it over and over again.
5) Fighting the boss is 100x easier if you just sit in the corner with lvl 3 missles. No fun fighting him like that, but i've beat him 2/3 times that way (the time i died was due to drowning because I forgot I was in water). I have yet to beat him the fun way floating on the fans after about 25 trys.
6) The other computer switch, the one that opens the shutters unto certain death, dosn't save when you save your game. Please make that save.
7) The spikes on coords 15,56 in the aquaduct are just unnecessary. Don't put thing to stand on next to that fan, its hard enough to get onto with out dying every other atempt.

So far I like it tho, its hard and you did a good job editing sprites. Keep it up.

Oct 19, 2006 at 5:06 PM
Okay
ًWhat SeriousFace said were too accurate especially the spikes adjacent to the fans.
Also:
-When you already killed the Two eyes boss, if you use the computer there, it will tell the same thing and you have to fight the boss again while they (the boss) will even not come again.
-What the heck is that block used for when you defeted the eyes?
- :D ....... What to do after opening the death shutter? I can't find other than that death way ;) .