Mod Ideas That I Could NEVER Acomplish

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:12 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
So I had two really good ideas for mods that I could never hope to make reality.

So the first idea is basically a Mario game using the Cave Story engine. You would collect the Fireball as the Flame Flower power up, and Life Capsules as mushrooms, and somehow you would get Invincibility stars. I could never code for all of this, especially making the powerups temporary or upon damage.

The second idea is an idea for a Brawl where you can battle other characters (AIs of course) or bosses as different Cave Story characters, including Balrog, Misery, Quote, Curly, King, and perhaps even the Doctor.

I just wanted to put these ideas out there in case anyone likes them and wants to try and take them up as a challenge. As I said, I could never code for this, so...

If I posted this in the wrong forum, my apologies. I didn't really know where to put it.

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:49 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Im pretty sure someone remade World 1-1 in Cave Story't engine awhile back, but the links long dead. But yeah, just putting this out there, the forum site is not your personal blog.

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:58 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
parkraft jesus christ
the thread is about cave story modding
this may be poorly conceived but it is still topical, if you are going to throw stones at least face the right direction

anyway, guy, these aren't really mod ideas - they're game ideas
the amount of rework that would be required to make these work in CS would be impractical

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:12 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
SuperJaws100 said:
...and somehow you would get Invincibility stars...
I know a workaround that would basically accomplish this, as in it would give you like 10 seconds of your mercy-invincibility (as if you've been hit).
Hit me up if you particularly need it, and have proof that you have something under your belt.

SuperJaws100 said:
The second idea is an idea for a Brawl where you can battle other characters (AIs of course) or bosses as different Cave Story characters, including Balrog, Misery, Quote, Curly, King, and perhaps even the Doctor.
This is basically "The Carnage Clash", an unreleased mod I've been working at for almost a full year.
Well, there's only an African-American dude you can play as, but if someone wants to they can change the MyChar.
Yell at me enough and I'll finish it quicker.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:35 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
SuperJaws100 said:
So the first idea is basically a Mario game using the Cave Story engine.
I remember someone made super mario world demo on the starcraft 2 engine. it worked, but was glitchy. but yeah,the main subject of this thread is quite depressing. you should focas on the things you can do, and will acomplish.

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:39 PM
Eh. Fair enough. I'm still working on fixing bugs in the "mod" I am currently working on. I use quotations because it's really more of a somewhat misguided excuse to teach myself TSC...

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:19 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I don't know if this deserve's it's own thread, so here
Not exactly what you might have thought but,

http://www.mediafire.com/download/s85nld3yt33mv7d/Cave+Story%3B+Sand+Arena.rar

Took the second idea and used it for this small mod.

You can choose from four characters, Quote, Curly, King and Misery.

The King and Misery sprites are a bit ugly.
This mod could use a bit of a clean up, but this was done in one day in my free time, and i'm a bit lazy.
Might update it later, maybe put a story mode if I feel like it.

Have fun.

ED: Used infinite mimiga mask hack

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:38 AM
Serri Online
War criminal
Wilfre said:
I don't know if this deserve's it's own thread, so here
Not exactly what you might have thought but,

http://www.mediafire.com/download/s85nld3yt33mv7d/Cave+Story%3B+Sand+Arena.rar

Took the second idea and used it for this small mod.

You can choose from four characters, Quote, Curly, King and Misery.

The King and Misery sprites are a bit ugly.
This mod could use a bit of a clean up, but this was done in one day in my free time, and i'm a bit lazy.
Might update it later, maybe put a story mode if I feel like it.

Have fun.

ED: Used infinite mimiga mask hack
Sand Arena looks very nice. It's really well done for a Gladiator-style mod. Hopefully there'll also be breaks and rewards after each battle (Balfrog could use some nerfing as there's no breaks in this small mod). Overall, great job, man! :)

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:29 AM
Wilfre said:
Breaks will probably be every 3 battles, with upgrades in weapons and inventory like life pots and maybe an item to summon a bunch of EXP capsules during battle.
Wilfre, I'm gonna make this blunt: I am begging you NOT to make this a full mod, and simply because I've already got a year ahead of you.

Not trying to be rude or come off as snobbish, but this idea is already in the works, with five full upgrade trees, difficulty/length options, an arsenal of over 16 bosses all with the ability to run simultaneous with each other and that are chosen in randomly generated playthroughs, and heck, the first time you start the mod, you're gonna see the biggest modding revelation I've ever had, something no one thought possible to pull off easy, and it's included in a mod I'm calling The Carnage Clash.

I rarely speak of this mod, mainly because trade secrets, and I'm sorry if because of that this is your first time hearing all of this. But I beg of you not to invest too much time into this, somewhat because I wanted to be the first, but most of it because I don't want to alarm you when something of identical premise releases with much more hours put into it. I don't call any threats, I just wish to give insight regarding this premise for a mod.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:18 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
EnlightenedOne, you're taking this a bit too seriously, but I want to get a few things clear.

1. I'm only working on these mods until I can get variables to work correctly.
2. I love making mods, it brings me simple joy (and it stops me from being bored all day)
3. I make mods for people to enjoy
4. I'm pretty sure people don't care if two similar mods, one made by a well known member of the forums, and one who nobody really cares about.
5. I just plan a simple Boss Rush, nothing as crazy as what you're planning
6. Similar ideas, completely different mods.
All in all, if you don't want me to work on Sand Arena, then help me get variables working so I can continue remaking my second mod.

I could have worded this post a bit better, but I just woke up, so I don't really care too much.

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:00 PM
Professional Whatever
Yeah uh I'm with wilf on this one
Even if you two have the same concept they are two completely different mods. It's unfair to say "don't make your mod because I have a similar idea". If you want your mod to stand out more, then make it better than his. Simple as that.

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:39 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
It's not really fair to say "don't do this because I'M doing this", especially when you don't have anything to show for your supposed "Carnage Clash" either. If you want to be the first, you should hurry up and get a release out before someone else does.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:34 PM
Again, I know it came off as a rude remark, and actually, it was a rather rude remark that I made late last night, but even at the time I only wished for the best intentions.

I thought that this was pretty much what Wilfre was mainly working on, and I'm a competitive person so I falsely assumed that. As long as it's kept as a side project I could care less about it, and even if you did invest a huge amount of time into your Sand Arena I'm not the one who would do anything about it. Work on whatever your heart desires.

I apologize for any hostilities that may have appeared. I'm a very confusing person to read.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:50 PM
Professional Whatever
Regardless of your wishes enlightened, asking a competitor to stop is not a good way to win the competition

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:51 PM
Well this thread took a confusing turn...

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:49 AM
Doors said:
Regardless of your wishes enlightened, asking a competitor to stop is not a good way to win the competition
This isn't for the competition.
In fact, the thing I am working on for competition reasons might be pushed back as well.

But whatever, sorry for causing drama, issue resolved let's get back to OP or whatever.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:08 AM
Professional Whatever
that's not what i'm talking about
you said you were competitive so you tried to get him to stop
which is not cool don't