"Mimiga Island" is Based off of [insert floating island name here]

Am I Crazy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 7, 2014 at 11:21 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Mar 8, 2014 at 3:17 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Considering Sonic wasn't mentioned as a game that inspired Pixel, I wouldn't consider it a particularly likely source, considering, as many have said, there are a good deal of other islands that exists within video game and anime lore.
Just to name a few, Laputa (mentioned), SKYPIEA, the islands in Skies of Arcadia, and Zeal from Chrono Trigger.
Although in terms of basic concept, Angel island looks the most similar to The Island, but the idea of an island having a power source was used in Laputa, Anglel Island, and probably a few more fictional floating islands.
Not necessarily definitive, but I wouldn't entirely doubt it.
My vote is still on Laputa, though.

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:06 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It could be possible that Pixel did play Sonic 3 at one point and thought the idea of a floating island was cool. They look really alike to be honest, so I don't think it's completely impossible. And even though it's not listed in his inspirations does not mean that he didn't reuse the idea from Sonic. Big difference in an inspiration and something being based off of another thing imo. I'll keep an open mind.

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
The idea of a floating island is popular and hard to say which was the first influence in gaming. You cannot say, for example, that Bioshock Infinite's floating island was inspired by Cave Story - although who knows lol.

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:58 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
You're right. We will never know. :)

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:01 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Threads merged.

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:43 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I think Laputa (Gullivers Travels) probably established the archetype of floating islands in general, but its Castle in the Sky incarnation is probably closer to the theoretical inspiration for Cave Story's island (or maybe both, who knows?)

So yeah in Castle in the Sky we have:
1. A sacred artifact in the heart of the island that keeps it afloat
2. A madman who wants to seize the floating island's ancient superweapon and armies of killer robots and use the floating base to dominate the world and all that
3. The extremely dangerous spell that Sheeta ended up using to dismantle the superweapon is "Balus"

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:36 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Nighth said:
I think Laputa (Gullivers Travels) probably established the archetype of floating islands in general, but its Castle in the Sky incarnation is probably closer to the theoretical inspiration for Cave Story's island (or maybe both, who knows?)

So yeah in Castle in the Sky we have:
1. A sacred artifact in the heart of the island that keeps it afloat
2. A madman who wants to seize the floating island's ancient superweapon and armies of killer robots and use the floating base to dominate the world and all that
3. The extremely dangerous spell that Sheeta ended up using to dismantle the superweapon is "Balus"
Wow...
Those are just too similar...

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:19 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This may sound pretty dumb but maybe the Floating Island is Angel Island from Sonic the hedgehog. They are indeed both floating islands that look similar in design (sorta). Perhaps i'm just trying to draw parallels to my two favorite video games (Sonic 3 and Cave Story) but it may have some possible credibility. At the end of cave story, the island crashes down to an unknown planet. Perhaps the master emerald is created and put on to the island making it rise again. Think about it for a while maybe i'm not crazy

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:32 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Thread merged.

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:36 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Jul 13, 2016 at 1:26 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
1 moon, no space craft. resident people are "humans" on surface of planet. Its earth
You obviously don't get the pseudo-Earth concept.

Every final fantasy game had completely different landmasses, physics and history, yet they all had humans and a single moon. Hundreds of fantasy novels (look at LotR for instance) share the exact same traits.

Aug 2, 2016 at 10:11 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
That's interesting, and I think that it might be possible that pixel was inspired by this island.