Midi verbatimness

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:07 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi, does anyone here know if Cave storys music sounds exactly the same on all computers, considering it uses midis? If so, I'd like to know how that was achieved so I can do the same. I've been very hesitant to use midis in a game I'm making because I've heard midis that sound good on my computer sound bad on another device.

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:14 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
cave story does not use MIDI

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:19 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
MIDI's aren't sound files either, so midi's can sound different depending on what program you use to run them on not the computer.

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:19 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh, I thought it did because it had midis in a folder where it was installed. It was Cave story deluxe. Is there a way to make them sound the same on all computers?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2015 at 6:35 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Oh, I thought it did because it had midis in a folder where it was installed. It was Cave story deluxe. Is there a way to make them sound the same on all computers?
they should sound the same already, the cave story exe plays .ORG's on its own. I don't quite know what the deluxe version has since we all just play the pre-patched stand alone

-edit-
the midi's you found in the deluxe package I think are just some bonus stuff that is added in with the whole package, because it comes with a lot of files that are just bonus programs, guides and other stuff you can just download individually

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2015 at 6:50 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
It's not possible

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:09 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Okay thanks, and please feel free to add any other information that occurs to you. Assuming orgs are sound files, I'll just go back to my previous plan of converting the midis for my game to oggs or something. Yeah, there were some cool extras in the deluxe version, a level editor, papercraft. My favorite song in Cave story is Moonsong.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2015 at 3:24 PM
Based Member
Assuming orgs are sound files, I'll just go back to my previous plan of converting the midis for my game to oggs or something.
Orgs aren't sound files either. They're their own musical format that has specified notes much like the midi format, but has its own conventions and structure for use specifically in the Cave Story engine. The Cave Story engine has predefined drums and wave samples that is uses, and the .org files tell the engine exactly how to play those samples to make the music you hear.

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:19 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I've been very hesitant to use midis in a game I'm making because I've heard midis that sound good on my computer sound bad on another device.
Yeah you're better off using ogg or some such.

...You *could* make midis sound the same across computers with soundfonts and special software, but best to keep things simple unless you need it to fit on a floppy.

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:36 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Cool, thanks again. I realized after my last post that Moonsong can't be my favorite, I have many. I also like Balcony, and the one that plays at the flower farm. I searched for Cave story to find this site, and an image of the creator showed up in the corner, with his name, and the word "composer" after it.

Last edited: