MIDI to ORG Converter

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:33 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Jun 30, 2012 at 3:59 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This is very early in production I assume? LOL
One thing that was a bit inconvenient about this was that it doesn't seem to like midis whose file names have spaces in them. So I had to change the file name of the midi to get this to work. I don't mean to be rude, but the results are so poor that I'm almost convinced this is a joke. You're probably aware of this, but in all of the outputted org files, the first musical track uses Wave-04, the next two use Wave-06, and the last five all use Wave-00. And there are no drum tracks. As well as every note being one unit long. This altogether makes for a rather earsplitting song. In the download below, there is a midi of the Halo theme, an org file produced by me hand copying the notes, and the output with your application. Included in the download is also the same thing for the Mighty Morhpin Power Rangers theme:

http://www.mediafire...8g991u4708dqc9e

Although this might be a joke, I almost want to say it's actually almost doing what it's supposed to, and the outputted orgs vary from midi to midi, as well as in the halo theme, there was a tiny bit of resemblance between one of the actual tracks, and one of the tracks in the outputted midi.

P.S. Sorry if this really was a joke and I was way too thick to realize that, and that it's rediculous that I actually freaking made a serious reply to this.

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:27 AM
Not anymore
This is very early in production I assume? LOL
One thing that was a bit inconvenient about this was that it doesn't seem to like midis whose file names have spaces in them. So I had to change the file name of the midi to get this to work. I don't mean to be rude, but the results are so poor that I'm almost convinced this is a joke. You're probably aware of this, but in all of the outputted org files, the first musical track uses Wave-04, the next two use Wave-06, and the last five all use Wave-00. And there are no drum tracks. As well as every note being one unit long. This altogether makes for a rather earsplitting song. In the download below, there is a midi of the Halo theme, an org file produced by me hand copying the notes, and the output with your application. Included in the download is also the same thing for the Mighty Morhpin Power Rangers theme:

http://www.mediafire...8g991u4708dqc9e

Although this might be a joke, I almost want to say it's actually almost doing what it's supposed to, and the outputted orgs vary from midi to midi, as well as in the halo theme, there was a tiny bit of resemblance between one of the actual tracks, and one of the tracks in the outputted midi.

P.S. Sorry if this really was a joke and I was way too thick to realize that, and that it's rediculous that I actually freaking made a serious reply to this.

It is not true that every note is one beat long. You must have chosen some odd MIDIs.
For a reasonable comparison, look at the following two files s_uta.mid and s_uta.org

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?p46w6lls4b936u3

The org was created with Midi2Org. Notice that the corresponding notes are all the same pitch, and have varying lengths. The only issue is that rests in the MIDI do not show up in the org, which is a bug I'll fix later. Also, in MIDIs with lots of tracks, drum tracks in the org are indeed created.

So, looking at the above song comparison alone, the Midi2Org program does a reasonable job and is therefore definitely not a joke. If you believe that the outputted .org files are of poor quality, feel free to write your own conversion program.

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:47 AM
Based Member
It is not true that every note is one beat long. You must have chosen some odd MIDIs.
For a reasonable comparison, look at the following two files s_uta.mid and s_uta.org

http://www.mediafire...p46w6lls4b936u3
Ah. Yeah, I probably was using some odd midis. All the extra tracks must have complicated things.

Also, in MIDIs with lots of tracks, drum tracks in the org are indeed created.
Really? For the ones I tried, no drums showed up at all.

So, looking at the above song comparison alone, the Midi2Org program does a reasonable job and is therefore definitely not a joke.
Yeah, sorry, it's just that a midi to org converter sounded just too good to be true, and the coincidental misfortune I had with the midis I used made it kinda seem like a joke to me.

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I would love to use this, but currently transcribing music from MIDIs to ORGs is the only way I'm learning anything :koron:

Jul 1, 2012 at 8:33 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
This is really helpful, I can now turn sheet music into orgs in a few minutes instead of a few hours D:
thank you so much Carrotlord, this makes my life way easier.

Can it deal with triplets yet? Like changing the time signature in the org to facilitate them? That would be incredibly helpful, especially given the midi I'm jonesing to convert.

Jul 2, 2012 at 7:49 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
When I used it, it turned my midi into ear rape. It seems to interpret quarter notes as 1 tick, when they should at least be 4. Also all my notes were in 1 track but it only got 1 note when sometimes there were 4 playing at once.

I do not foresee this being greatly successful.

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I can see where this project is going, and hope that you are successful in making this program a success. There aren't many MIDI / ORG converters out there (if any), and this would greatly help the CS modding community. :)

....And now for the criticism. :sue:

Honestly, not many people use MIDI files. I couldn't even find an MIDI file anywhere on my PC to test this with. And most of the MP3/WAV to MIDI converters I've seen are crap. This fact alone is a pretty big problem.

....And there's a few errors. :(

I found a site that has a huge collection of MIDI files. I downloaded a song from there (I_Gotta_Feeling by Black Eyed Peas) to test this out.
Site: Song:
http://www.free-midi...ta_feeling.html (I_Gotta_Feeling by Black Eyed Peas)
(The song is renamed to feeling.mid)
I placed the file into the same folder as the program and ran it. Entered song name (with .mid on end). Crashed (at the same point as the image below).
I closed the program, deleted the two (.dat) files it had created and instead made a (.dat) version of the song using the Midi2Text.jar included in the file. I placed it next to the song and re-ran the program. The image below is what happened.
diph.php
The program crashes at the exact same point as before. However, after clicking "Don't Send", the program continues to run. The image below shows what happens.
diph.php
In the end, no ORG file is created.
Ya' might want to fix that. ;)

...That's about it.

Jul 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Not anymore
New download link

I had to hack the executable to fix it. I don't guarantee this will correctly convert the MIDI you chose, but at least it shouldn't crash anymore.

Jul 3, 2012 at 4:07 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yep, crashes stoped. :)
Might have a few bugs still...

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:54 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
So umm... Yah I'm runnin on a Mac, can't open batch files. However it seems like all the sources are here in exe (which I can use) and java (I can also use) whenever I use these though it comes out as a .song or .dat which neither work. Is there a specific set of Conversions that I could do myself with the source files?

Edit: whoops sorry mixed up my technical lingo. I just meant the programs necessary to run the batch file

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Not anymore
You may not be able to open a batch file, but on a Mac (which is Unix based now) you can run .bash files.

Code:
echo "Enter the name of the MIDI file you want to convert:"
read name
java -jar Midi2Text.jar -on-off-endoftrack . .
name=${name/dat/}
Midi2Org %name%dat
Midi2Org -r %name%song
Org2Text %name%song -a
rm %name%song
rm %name%.song
rm %name%dat
echo "[Program Finished]"
read nothing

Save that as Whatever.bash and put it into your Midi2Org directory. Run it from the Terminal using ./Whatever.bash.

There's also another problem: the .exe files might not work on Mac. If you need me to, ask me to compile them. I'll do it on Linux and hopefully it'll work on Mac.
Alternatively you could try WINE or something.

You also said that the sources were included. The sources are not included, only the executables.

Finally, whether on Mac, Linux, or Windows, this program still sucks and nobody is going to crack Midi to ORG unless BaviH wakes up and smells the flowers.

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:09 AM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Holy necrobump!

I know people don't typically appreciate these kind of bumps, but I have a bit of an issue I'd like sorting out. I have no music composing skills whatsoever, so a converter would work wonders for me...if it'd work.

p153486-0-dqwt8cz.png

Entering "wrek", "wrek.mid", "wrek.midi" or "wrek.org" doesn't make a difference: The program refuses to function. At all. I've tried everything I could think of, and I simply cannot convert a thing.

I know this topic's been dead for awhile, but if anyone has used the converter, could you help me out?

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:18 AM
Based Member
I'm sorry to break it to you, but even supposing you got this program to give some output, it doesn't work at all. Period. The outputted org files are nothing but a haphazard arrangement of ear-splitting high pitched notes. And contacting the author to fix it wouldn't be much use, because he denied this while he was still active, and then kind of went insane a little bit over a year ago and made the community hate him.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to get this program to work if I were you.

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:26 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Huh, I've been having the same thing as Polar.

I'm having the .dat problem. D:

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:38 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
2DBro said:
Huh, I've been having the same thing as Polar.

I'm having the .dat problem. D:
did you not just read hayden's post
it dont work

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Looking at the screenshots posted I'm pretty sure the problem is that you guys don't have java JDK installed, which is what you need in order for the bat to run java from the command line (and/or you need to set your path variable for java or something).

But the main problem is that you are unable to use the "java" command in the cmd window.

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:18 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
It seems to be working now, but it comes out as a .song file.

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM
Based Member
2DBro said:
It seems to be working now, but it comes out as a .song file.
That's because you're closing the command window too quickly. I know the "kthxbye" is a bit deceiving, but it's not supposed to be terminated yet. After it does that, it will create a .song file, a ..song file, and a .dat file. Then it will combine the data from them into the .org file you're looking for. Just keep the command window open until it gives you your .org file. Not that there's much to see.