Metroid Phazon

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:39 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
First off, this is a mod of the NES game, Metroid. It is something that I've been working on for about 2 years. It was the end result of far too much Metroid Prime and Super Metroid. I had, um, gone slightly crazy with Metroid and wanted to create something fun, something hopefully memorable. Something that you will recommend to others to play.

Secondly, I will be providing ONLY the ips patch + emulator + patch applier, NOT THE ROM. YOU WILL NEVER GET THE ROM FROM ME. IT WOULD BE ILLEGAL FOR ME TO DISTRIBUTE IT. IN THE FORUMS, THAT IS. AT ALL.

EDIT! SCREENSHOTS!!!

diph.php

"The Title Screen, obviously."

diph.php

"I don't remember this part of Zebes..."

diph.php

"...when did this wall crumble?"

diph.php

"This is NOT the zebes I remember..."

diph.php

"Where did these come from?!?!"

diph.php

"This...is going to hurt."

:3

Okay, with that out of the way, I give you METROID: PHAZON. In essence, this is a redesign of the map. Almost every single room has been changed. Enemy placement as well as item placement has been moved around.

The mod was concieved with the idea of "What would happen if the rom itself was corrupted? If the world of METROID was mutilated and changed, enemies given immortality, and items lost in the world?" The answer? THIS.

I have discovered a few glitches in this game, many of which I have put to (hopefully) good use. So some things are simply illusions designed to trick you. As far as I know, none are game -breaking (gamestopping means the same as traps, sorry for the confusion) nor are they traps (such as being stuck in an area and being unable to leave no matter what). It is all to make you think and test yourself. Perhaps trick you a good many times, but that is all. No instant deathtraps here. :)

Yes, the colors are screwed. It was done on purpose, to give it the feel that not everything is right in there.

So, with that, I shall give you what you desire, the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?t0zzy3mi25z

Notice: I started this project way back in late 2008. It was an on and off thing, but I eventually managed to FINALLY complete it in early 2010.

I hope you all enjoy this. ^^

Complaints, comments, and bug reports are appreciated. If ya report glitches, I'm ignoring it. They HAVE to be game-stopping, for those are the worst. Everything else is by-passable.

Enjoy!

Also, I hope this is fine for me to post. I've been working on this for some time, and I wanted to share it with all of you. If it is not okay (which I doubt), please let me know before hand. I'd like an explanation for it at least.

There WAS a trap in Tourian that I THINK I got rid of. If not, please tell me, because that was NOT part of the design. (sometimes the rooms glitch)

EDIT: Due to the intentional glitchy nature of this mod, I would recommend using save states. HOWEVER, it is entirely possible to beat this game without them. Seriously. I'm evil, not sadistic. Well, slightly sadistic. But not to the extent of some of the mods I've tried. Sheesh, kill the entertainment value why dontcha...

Seriously, the only reason I used save states was to test areas. I could beat it without them just fine.

Oh and one fair warning. I DID include ONE kiazo style trap in the game. Sorry, but I couldn't make a mod without fucking you over at least once. X3

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:18 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Uhm, I think it's legal for you to distribute the ROM, but illegal for us to download it if we haven't paid for the game. It might not work like that in other countries, it might not work like that anywhere, but some ROM sites say that. Maybe they're just bullshitting.
Hennywhey, I'mma download the fuck out of this mod.

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:56 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Captain Fabulous said:
Uhm, I think it's legal for you to distribute the ROM, but illegal for us to download it if we haven't paid for the game. It might not work like that in other countries, it might not work like that anywhere, but some ROM sites say that. Maybe they're just bullshitting.
Hennywhey, I'mma download the fuck out of this mod.

It's probably BS I'm guessing, but even if it's not I think there are also forum rules against distributing roms.

Cyowolf said:
I have discovered a few glitches in this game, many of which I have put to (hopefully) good use. So some things are simply illusions designed to trick you. As far as I know, none are gamestopping nor are they traps. It is all to make you think and test yourself. Perhaps trick you a good many times, but that is all. No instant deathtraps here. :)

I'd say some of them dance pretty closely to the line between trick and trap... But, it's all good fun. You don't even have to abuse savestates to play, which is something I really like. Overall it's been pretty quirky so far, but in a good way. I only wonder what challenges await me in Norfair and Tourian...

Tagline: "A mix of NES fun and potent radiation"

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:24 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
ohaithar i hope that link is just a patch

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:31 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Mr. Fist said:
ohaithar i hope that link is just a patch

Actually it comes bundled with a patch applier and an emulator, for your convenience.

[quot is] ONLY the ips patch, NOT THE ROM. YOU WILL NEVER GET THE ROM FROM ME. IT WOULD BE ILLEGAL FOR ME TO DISTRIBUTE IT.[quot isnt]

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:23 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Ah. Forgot to mention I gave ya the patch applier and emulator as well. |D And yes, .ips patch only. No rom for you. Gotta go get one of your own.

My bad. Thanks for clearing all that up, Noxid.

Anyway, glad to see ya like it. ^^ I aimed for something mindfuckish/youallgowut yet fun. I do hope I accomplished that.

And yeah, it's generally against forum rules to post Roms. I tend to follow that rule.

Edit: Made some changes to the first post, hope its a tad clearer now.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:29 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Captain Fabulous said:
Uhm, I think it's legal for you to distribute the ROM
Wrong. Distribution is illegal as well.

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:04 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Just curious here, but what did you guys think of my little hack?

Did I make it too hard? Was it too confusing?

Just wanted to hear your opinions on it, might make another one. Might even learn assembly and see what I can do for the next one. ^^

So please, voice your thoughts!

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:07 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Necrobump or not, the mediafire link no longer works. I was a bit curious, as I'm quite a metroid buff.

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:50 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I was going to try and rouse cyo, but then I remembered that I still have a copy!
http://www.mediafire.com/?vd5a9r25ecbsjcc
Enjoy.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:28 PM
"Huzzah!"
The legality of rom hacks is flakier than the skin of a dead Grey. Distributing the patch is *technically* legal in most cases. When it comes to getting the game rom, you're skating on thin ice. In a case like Metroid, you can sort of argue the game is abandonware - insomuch that Nintendo probably won't sue you for downloading it.

Downloading a modern game, on the other hand, might land your arse with a massive fine.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Been here way too long...
I emulated Cave Story for WiiWare on my PC.
SUE MY ASS AHAHAHAHA
Also, downloading a ROM of a game that you own is legal. We will assume everyone who plays Phazon owns the original NES game, because we're all law-abiding citizens. Of course.

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:42 AM
"Huzzah!"
Actually, Fab, the legality of owning a rom of a game you own is actually shady as well, and depends where you live. For example, in order to obtain that rom, the licence agreement for the game was probably broken. The only time this ever becomes a problem, realistically, is when a publisher wants to rerelease a classic game, and sees ripped roms as lost profit.

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:48 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Thanks noxid.

Also, as far as legality of roms goes, take a look here: http://www.coolrom.com/faq.php

Why don't you have Mario ROMs?
Games, such as Mario and Donkey Kong are protected by the ESA, and are illegal to distribute. We fully support the gaming industry, so if you really like those games, buy them!

That website has been online for a very, very long time. And they've tussled with legal battles before. The agreement they came to is unless a rom is protected by the ESA, it's fair game.

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I own Metroid Prime and have unlocked the original Metroid.
Close enough.

So If I unlock Classic Contra and Super C on my Contra 4 game, I can download the roms?