May I have some opinions on progress please?

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:07 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've had the game for about three weeks.

Day 1, 5 - 6 hours I completed it through normal play.. ended up with Hidden Cave to boot.

Day 2, I read up on it to see if there's anything I missed or secrets, started a fresh file, completed a 100%, Spur run in 2 - 3 hours.

Within this week I tried beating the game in each way possible, trading for the different weapons, different Last Cave etc etc.

At the end of week 1, I tried a 100%, Snake, Save Curly / restore memories, save in the house right before dropping into Hell (after undead core) speed run. I did this in 1 hour 56 minutes first try, and 1 hour 42 minutes second try.

50 HP, snake, Hell speed run records is 3 minutes 40 seconds at this time.

A week or so passes by.

I try a 3HP polar star only run.

Monster X took about 50 tries, and 2 hours.

Balrog III took about 20 tries, and 30 minutes.

Core I took about 200 tries, and 10 hours. (I stopped getting tow rope before the boss started after about try 100.. haha)

Everything was a breeze after mastering the first Core.. even the final fights. About 10 tries, an hour if that.

For being this fresh to the game, my questions are

1) How much, and at what parts did you struggle on 3HP PS run?

2) Are there anymore challenges you can think of?

3) Is my Hell Speed Run record decent?

4) Is my 100% Snake speed run record decent?

5) What are the most popular hacks to try?

Thank you in advance for your time, and reading / replying.

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:42 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
1.) Same as all runs... The Curly fight. Core is easy, Monster X a breeze. But it's those DAMN KORONS THAT ALWAYS KILL ME!
2.) Fireball run: You can only use the Fireball once you get it. May not sound like a challenge, but believe me - it is.
3.) Yep.
4.) Yep.
5.) Look and see if you can't find Jenka's Nightmare of Schism. Wrath of Revorskanal (don't yell at me for spelling) is the only 100% complete one I know of... And maybe try The Dark Platform by yours truely. Though I warn you: It's nowhere near done. |P

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:48 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Feb 24, 2010 at 2:53 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
1. Core was definitely the hardest (got stuck there, haven't progressed myself).
2. No save run?
3. If I were you I'd try to get it under 3 min with the snake, nemesis and super missiles. It's a good challenge
4. Don't know, didn't speedrun the whole game.
5. Just check out this section for mods, and I've been told once or twice that my mod was pretty good.

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:48 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
1) Core is really evil.
2) Aside from a no save run (it's possible), you could hack your save file to remove some weapons. Or just refrain from using them.
3) Faster than me. Maybe I should try some more.
4) Dunno, never timed myself on a snake run. Not really interested in a full game snake run, unless it's getting the snake for hell.
5) Jenka's Nightmare if you want something long, Schism is a lot shorter but very fun (these were mentioned already, you shouldn't have too many problems). Look through the mod forums or at DT's mod guide to find a lot of other CS hacks.

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:59 PM
Been here way too long...
1) Monster X raped me mercilessly on 3HP, Core was also difficult but less so than X. I didn't have much trouble again until the Doctor.

2) I am currently doing a 3HP run with Bubbler only (and Polar Star for the purple blocks). Once again, Monster X is having his way with me violently.

3) Yes. Record is somewhere around 2'30", mine is 3'18"6 because I got incredibly lucky,

4) Dunno.

5) Jenka's Nightmare and WTF Story are challenging and substantial, but people have made harder mods. Search around the Hacking/Modding section, since I never do.

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:09 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
1) Never tried, I went straight for 3hp hell bubbler only [And gave up shortly thereafter]
2) See above
3) A bit better than mine even
4) I don't know. I suppose, I don't like snake, so I assume it must be.
5) All the ones stated above.

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:32 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
Id say you are a true cave story player.

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:11 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Monster X was the most annoying in the 3hp run i did, seriously those projects are fucken annoying, i sorta quit playing cavestory for quite a few months after i completed the 3hp run (including hell), sorta needed a break hahaa ^^;

Core was probably the second hardest

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:01 AM
xristosx said:
Monster X was the most annoying in the 3hp run i did, seriously those projects are fucken annoying, i sorta quit playing cavestory for quite a few months after i completed the 3hp run (including hell), sorta needed a break hahaa ^^;

Core was probably the second hardest

Captain Fabulous said:
1) Monster X raped me mercilessly on 3HP, Core was also difficult but less so than X. I didn't have much trouble again until the Doctor.

2) I am currently doing a 3HP run with Bubbler only (and Polar Star for the purple blocks). Once again, Monster X is having his way with me violently.

3) Yes. Record is somewhere around 2'30", mine is 3'18"6 because I got incredibly lucky,

4) Dunno.

5) Jenka's Nightmare and WTF Story are challenging and substantial, but people have made harder mods. Search around the Hacking/Modding section, since I never do.
Dude.
Have you never watched Roon's 3hp min items Monster X tutorial?
Trust in blade, for blade will keep you safe.
carrotlord said:
1) Core is really evil.
2) Aside from a no save run (it's possible), you could hack your save file to remove some weapons. Or just refrain from using them.
3) Faster than me. Maybe I should try some more.
4) Dunno, never timed myself on a snake run. Not really interested in a full game snake run, unless it's getting the snake for hell.
5) Jenka's Nightmare if you want something long, Schism is a lot shorter but very fun (these were mentioned already, you shouldn't have too many problems). Look through the mod forums or at DT's mod guide to find a lot of other CS hacks.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
1. Core was definitely the hardest (got stuck there, haven't progressed myself).
2. No save run?
3. If I were you I'd try to get it under 3 min with the snake, nemesis and super missiles. It's a good challenge
4. Don't know, didn't speedrun the whole game.
5. Just check out this section for mods, and I've been told once or twice that my mod was pretty good.
Blade/Snake = Core's Doom.
If you're fast enough with the weapon switching (Snake for range to get to the Core and Blade to keep you safe from the Core's projectiles), you can do it without even having to dodge (except the jumbo blasts).

In both the case of Monster X and the Core, the lvl. 3 Blade's hash-thingies create a clear swath through spawned projectile enemies. Then you just switch over to another weapon (Polar Star, Snake, MG) and pop it for a few shots. Just keep repeating (the faster the safer).
Seeing as you have access to the Blade on all but the strictest runs*, why not use it?

[/rant]

* Not that you don't have the Blade, but are forbidden from using it (eg. Bubbler-only, Polar Star-only etc.)

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:26 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
DragonBoots said:
Dude.
Have you never watched Roon's 3hp min items Monster X tutorial?
Trust in blade, for blade will keep you safe.

I did watch it, but it was made AFTER i did it, and i used the blade, spamming it is the only way to be safe from all THE FUCKEN PROJECTILES EVERYWHERE, I HATED THEM D:<!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also a small fact, the laser walls on the side did 1 dmg, so if you were about to be hit by a projectile, slamming yourself against the laser walls saved you, ofcourse you could only do that 2 times unless you got a heart from killing a projectile

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:46 AM
xristosx said:
I did watch it, but it was made AFTER i did it, and i used the blade, spamming it is the only way to be safe from all THE FUCKEN PROJECTILES EVERYWHERE, I HATED THEM D:<!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also a small fact, the laser walls on the side did 1 dmg, so if you were about to be hit by a projectile, slamming yourself against the laser walls saved you, ofcourse you could only do that 2 times unless you got a heart from killing a projectile

See that key right above X?
Learn to press it.
Weapon switch = love~

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:44 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
DragonBoots said:
See that key right above X?
Learn to press it.
Weapon switch = love~

i would, but i cant see a letter above my x key because the s is worn down from repeated pressing D:

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:59 AM
xristosx said:
i would, but i cant see a letter above my x key because the s is worn down from repeated pressing D:

lol
I had to remap the keys on my old laptop because otherwise the wear pattern would look suspicious. >_>
(Z, E, S, X, and all 4 arrow keys...)

Oh yeah, challenge for ya Kirbyarm:

There's a program that lets you remap CS's keys.
Use it to make your keys all reversed. :D
Then do hell.

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:32 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I wonder if doing a hell run while blindfolded would be possible..

(you could at least use the sounds to tell when you take damage or die).

Nah, maybe too extreme.

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:53 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
It's hard enough to dodge the falling blocks, I suppose a robot could get through the rest, but without sight, getting through the block corridor should be near impossible

Unless you've got high health

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:10 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
DragonBoots said:
lol
I had to remap the keys on my old laptop because otherwise the wear pattern would look suspicious. >_>
(Z, E, S, X, and all 4 arrow keys...)

Oh yeah, challenge for ya Kirbyarm:

There's a program that lets you remap CS's keys.
Use it to make your keys all reversed. :D
Then do hell.

Lmfao. I configured a gamepad.. :p

Where as I agree it is a challenge technically, I personally don't find that to be a challenge using in game functions only. (And no modifications) If I did remap keys, it shouldn't be too long before I got used to them.

I was considering a fireball run, thinking of parts like water way crowd of jelly fish and getting by that with fireball "MUSE BE FUN!" I thought. :/

I did time a snake run because snake is apparently necessary for the quickest hell run times according to what I've read up on anyways.

And lastly, toward a lot of the replies (not saying all of you) it's not just a 3 HP run.. I was talking about 3 HP run, minimal items using only the polar star.. which means no blade. Hell if I had the blade none of those fights would've been a challenge. Try a polar star only 3HP on Core 1 and come back to tell me it's not the hardest fight in the entire game of that run, perhaps next to Hell / Ballos. The spinners take two shots each, it's a nightmare with the water and energy balls and inconvenient places the small cores can place themselves before launching spinners. I'm sure if I tried it again I'd need at least 20 tries.. since I know very well what I need to do exactly for the best chances at fighting lady luck.

P.S. Thank you for all the kind replies. They and your experiences are appreciated.

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:17 PM
Which means no blade.
Blade's not optional. you HAVE to gte the Polar Star, Blade, and Fireball.

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:51 PM
Kirbyarm said:
Lmfao. I configured a gamepad.. :p

Where as I agree it is a challenge technically, I personally don't find that to be a challenge using in game functions only. (And no modifications) If I did remap keys, it shouldn't be too long before I got used to them.

I was considering a fireball run, thinking of parts like water way crowd of jelly fish and getting by that with fireball "MUSE BE FUN!" I thought. :/

I did time a snake run because snake is apparently necessary for the quickest hell run times according to what I've read up on anyways.

And lastly, toward a lot of the replies (not saying all of you) it's not just a 3 HP run.. I was talking about 3 HP run, minimal items using only the polar star.. which means no blade. Hell if I had the blade none of those fights would've been a challenge. Try a polar star only 3HP on Core 1 and come back to tell me it's not the hardest fight in the entire game of that run, perhaps next to Hell / Ballos. The spinners take two shots each, it's a nightmare with the water and energy balls and inconvenient places the small cores can place themselves before launching spinners. I'm sure if I tried it again I'd need at least 20 tries.. since I know very well what I need to do exactly for the best chances at fighting lady luck.

P.S. Thank you for all the kind replies. They and your experiences are appreciated.

Do 3 hp Fireball-only with your Booster off in the final three bosses (Miza, Doc, Undead Core). And to keep the heat on - NO SAVING.

Then do Hell (you can use the Booster if absolutely required - Eg. First room and parts of the 3rd).
B2 with no Booster and only your Fireball.

Trust me, if you can get any time under 7 minutes on that run you have officially won the entire internet.

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
DragonBoots said:
Trust me, if you can get any time under 7 minutes on that run you have officially won the entire internet.
Yeah I'm like 75% certain that's not even possible.