Maximum values

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:38 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
andwhyisit said:
Can someone find out what is the highest number of image rows you can create in face.pbm without crashing cave story?

There is one? I'll go try it out now.

Please wait while I'm testing. Post will be edited after test is done lol. So don't treat this as spam and delete it xD

Edit -

Eh... I tried till 30 already and game doesn't crash... I don't think there even is one O_o...

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:18 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Metalogz said:
F= 15.. o.o?

F is 15, but there are 16 possibilites, thats what I was talking about.

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:49 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Lace said:
14009? Ya Sure? I'm pretty sure spaces and enters count as characters. Said TSC Buffer (20480) is the supposed (and found by hacking) maximum.

Actually, I think enters count as two characters (newline = carriage return+line feed = 0x0D0A = two bytes).

Aug 30, 2008 at 2:52 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Spaces count as 1 character, enter counts as 2. Or so says "notepad++" which is what i have been using to count.

However, today 18874 is the max characters i can jam into start point tsc before crashing. Only thing i've done to this game is add some npc's in start point, and alot of script in arms/item. I find this quite strange.

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:19 AM
"..."
This TSC buffer 20480, thats sposed to be how many characters i can have on any given script? It works in arms/items, but not a normal map. Is there other info (possibly the map name) that also counts tward this 20480, because i can't figure this out thru trial and error.

Sep 1, 2008 at 4:18 PM
"..."
Found the max faces 128, so you can use <FAC0000 thru FAC0127.

Stretching face.pbm to 285 by 1055 pixels in size will yield the most possible faces.

Sep 1, 2008 at 4:29 PM
Luls

TRIPLE POSTERS MUST DIE!!!

Btw i STILL do not understand why the max number of characters that can be squeezed into one script is called a TSC BUFFER. >_>

Sep 1, 2008 at 11:27 PM
"..."
Max items is a little tricky. I tested <IT+ all the way to 1000, and it worked thats 2000 pixel tall itemimage.pbm. So i dont' think any modders will ever run out of items. But you can only 'see' a maximum of 32 items in the item screen at a time. You can have a little more then that, and you'll be able to read what they do, but you won't actually see there image, and if you <ITJ with these invisable items it's like you don't have them.

So, in summary, you can use as many items as you want, as long as you never have over 32 (or 30 if you want to keep your game pretty) at one time.

Sep 1, 2008 at 11:57 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Metalogz said:

TRIPLE POSTERS MUST DIE!!!

Btw i STILL do not understand why the max number of characters that can be squeezed into one script is called a TSC BUFFER. >_>

It isn't called a TSC Buffer, it's the size of the TSC Buffer. There isn't enough memory allocated to put more into it. That's 20 KBytes of text, including white spaces(space, tab, newline).

Sep 2, 2008 at 10:00 AM
Luls
Tadashi said:
It isn't called a TSC Buffer, it's the size of the TSC Buffer. There isn't enough memory allocated to put more into it. That's 20 KBytes of text, including white spaces(space, tab, newline).

Omg. Thanks alot :o

I finally see the light...

Sep 4, 2008 at 4:55 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
SeriousFace said:
Max maps before sues workshop crashes
This doesn't seem especially useful. What about max maps before the game crashes?

Lace said:
Editagain: Ha, I get it. A nybble is one character, a byte two etc.
A byte is one character, not two. A word is two characters, and a long is four.

A byte is two hexadecimal digits, though.

Lace said:
14009? Ya Sure? I'm pretty sure spaces and enters count as characters.
Of course they do.

wedge of cheese said:
Actually, I think enters count as two characters (newline = carriage return+line feed = 0x0D0A = two bytes).
Right, Windows does this...

SeriousFace said:
Max items is a little tricky. I tested <IT+ all the way to 1000, and it worked thats 2000 pixel tall itemimage.pbm. So i dont' think any modders will ever run out of items. But you can only 'see' a maximum of 32 items in the item screen at a time. You can have a little more then that, and you'll be able to read what they do, but you won't actually see there image, and if you <ITJ with these invisable items it's like you don't have them.

So, in summary, you can use as many items as you want, as long as you never have over 32 (or 30 if you want to keep your game pretty) at one time.
I bet the maximum number of items in the game is 32768 or 65536.

Sep 5, 2008 at 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lace
Editagain: Ha, I get it. A nybble is one character, a byte two etc.

A byte is one character, not two. A word is two characters, and a long is four.

A byte is two hexadecimal digits, though.

I meant hexadecimal digits... >_>
And why would you guess 32768 or 65536? what's your evidence? Have you actually tested it, or found it through hacking? Cite your reasons.

That's it

Lace

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:26 AM
Justin-chan
Found the max faces 128, so you can use <FAC0000 thru FAC0127.

Stretching face.pbm to 285 by 1055 pixels in size will yield the most possible faces.
Just a heads up.

Changing <FAC0000's graphic will make it appear on the textbox at all times, regardless if you use <FAC0000 or not. <FAC0000 also makes the text act as though there isn't any <FAC is being used.

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:57 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
SeriousFace said:
Max teleporter options = 7

Max slots is 6 - Any more and the save screws up.
Well, technically 7 counting 0, but it becomes inaccessible as soon as any other slot is set.
And, because it hasn't been mentioned, max mapflags (<MP+) is 128 (same as maps - 0-127).
However, interesting quirk: <MP+0128 is very similar to killing the player (it disappears and can't move around, doesn't respond to <SMC).

</contribution>
</bump>

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
DragonBoots said:
Well, technically 7 counting 0, but it becomes inaccessible as soon as any other slot is set.
And, because it hasn't been mentioned, max mapflags (<MP+) is 128 (same as maps - 0-127).
However, interesting quirk: <MP+0128 is very similar to killing the player (it disappears and can't move around, doesn't respond to <SMC).

</contribution>
</bump>

Maybe it overflows into the player flags? (player flag 128 ensures that they're on the screen and movable)

Also does anyone know the maximum number of skip flags? And regular flags? (for reference)

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:18 PM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Maybe it overflows into the player flags? (player flag 128 ensures that they're on the screen and movable)

Also does anyone know the maximum number of skip flags? And regular flags? (for reference)

Yeah.
Skipflags are valid from 1 to 9999 IIRC.
Normal flags are the same, but only up to #7000 are saved to profile.dat; the rest behave like skipflags, except that NPC's respond to them being set (eg. NPC flags 800 and 4000).
I'm not sure if setting flag 0000 will do anything, though.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:35 PM
Hoxtilicious
DragonBoots said:
Yeah.
Skipflags are valid from 1 to 9999 IIRC.
Normal flags are the same, but only up to #7000 are saved to profile.dat

That's not right.
Runelancer posted that flags above 8000 will affect the game.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:53 PM
S. P. Gardebiter said:
That's not right.
Runelancer posted that flags above 8000 will affect the game.

Hmmm, musta missed that post.
But from my own testing flags above 7000 didn't save.
Hm. :/

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:19 PM
They work, it's just that they flow into other RAM, that may or may not be allotted for something else. Ie, setting one flag will cause a quake. woot.

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:13 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
DragonBoots said:
...wait, what?

There's room in the save file for exactly 8 teleporter slots, but the eighth needs to be left as all 0's in order to prevent the game from overflowing into other save data, if I recall correctly. That leaves 7 slots...

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Maybe it overflows into the player flags?
Well, I don't really know how the RAM is laid out, but... if it's laid out in the same way as the profile.dat, then it's overflowing into the "FLAG" constant.

Incidentally, map flags are not a bitfield, at least in the profile.dat.

DragonBoots said:
Hmmm, musta missed that post.
But from my own testing flags above 7000 didn't save.
Hm. :/
Maximum flag that can save should be 7999; it's the highest flag that can possibly fit in the file, anyway. (There are 1000 bytes of flags; at 8 flags per byte, that's 8000 flags total.)

Lace said:
They work, it's just that they flow into other RAM, that may or may not be allotted for something else. Ie, setting one flag will cause a quake. woot.
I'd think it would be dangerous to rely on consistent behaviour with overflowing the flags.