Manually Refill Booster v2.0 Fuel?

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:48 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello, I've been wanting to make a short and sweet (and unnerving) Cave Story mod, and one of the mechanic concepts I had in mind was having the Booster v2.0 run out of fuel, and if you tried to use it while it had no fuel, it would show the "EMPTY" text like if you had no ammo for the Machine Gun or Missile Launcher. You would refuel (in TSC) by using a custom command called <BFL (Booster FueL).

Since I'm hardly even experienced with Python (I just use ChatGPT to debug when I don't know what the problem could be), I'm nowhere near qualified to meddle with ASM or any of that, so I was wondering if someone could do this for me, then send an XML file (for BoostLab's Hackinator) that can do these patches automatically. That would be really cool.

Mar 5, 2024 at 9:39 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
This isn't exactly what you're looking for but for what it's worth you can use <FL+C008 to <FL+C040 to manipulate memory and change the current amount of fuel, though you do have to get a bit comfortable with counting in binary (if you're on Windows 10/11 then the calculator has a nifty feature for this under 'programmer').
Dephending on what you are aiming for you could go on with just that and possibly a hack that disables how the game normally refuels, though I don't know if the latter already exists either...

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:59 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah, that uh... won't do. Sorry.

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:09 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Considering that you want to spawn an "EMPTY" caret and all with the refuel mechanic suggested, while you could hack the compiled binary of freeware to do all this it'd be better off to use Doukutsu-rs or CSE2 since that's like, actual readable source code and you don't have to worry about optimizing code to squeeze in injects and all that. Especially if these are the kinda changes you want to make to the game.

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:07 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Doukutsu-RS it is. I'd have to travel back in time to get a copy of CSE2 given it was DMCA'd and all.

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:18 PM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
you can obtain a copie of it now
we can't link it here

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:25 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh. Good to know, I guess.