Lunar Shadow Project

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:07 PM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
The darkened background looks awesome, and the water backgrounds are fine. I'm not so sure about the first one, though...

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:09 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
knuckles5577 said:
Those look okay to me.
Thanks =)

knuckles5577 said:
By the way maybe you could do something like an item you get after you beat the boss/reach the end of that map that could teleport you to that area whenever you wanted. (Like you get a YesNoJump, then if you said yes you would be TRAnsported to whatever map that item is connected to?),>
Unfortunately not; that would render the Warp Doors rather useless in the end.
I could perhaps add alternate doors to alternate save rooms if they're in the same area, or Warp Doors to other save rooms in other areas (once those are unlocked at the starting point) but items to teleport/transport isn't something I'm a fan of.

ThatPortalGuy said:
The darkened background looks awesome, and the water backgrounds are fine.
Thanks =)

ThatPortalGuy said:
I'm not so sure about the first one, though...
Hmm...

Servant Quarters-like area, darkened backgrounds:
Version 1:
p192772-0-128011519595251836.png
Version 2:
p192772-1-128011519595231669.png

... I really need to practice spriting straw hats. =o

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:05 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
OK kinda late but here I am.
The tilesets look's great to me. Tower looks kinda technologically advanced but I guess there's a reason for it. Only reservoir can be a little darker and brownish but that's my opinion so yeah. Version 2 darkened backgrounds are better.

Can't wait for version 3 :)

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:11 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
First things first.
I finally managed to sprite one of the late-game bosses (the "Ending Bosses"). (Tried to, at least; still think the "facing directly at the player" frames look weird.)
p192775-0-1310115113434.png
That's without the other stuff; I also had the purplish Ballos-shaped aura removed in this pic (though the .bmp file still has it). The aura is basically there so that she has a larger hit box.
That's one of the Tower bosses, though access requires both the moon to be on her side of the castle (two other bosses require that; I'll probably explain later) and having went to the Top Floor area (with a shortcut down added then). And the version to be the one she's introduced in. (Excepting the NPC-version that represents a friend who helped with the mod in a way.)

Secondly, someone suggested a "Lvl 1 Boss Mode" (which levels weapons down to Level 1 at the start of boss fights and presumably enabled at the start of the game). What would be your thoughts on that?

(A mode which removes all Life Capsules is being considered, as well; some people like going on a 3-HP run in vanilla Cave Story, so...)

knuckles5577 said:
V2 looks better.
Are you going to make face pictures for your characters?
Most likely not, except maybe some major bosses.
I made Sycor's face pics by taking it from a screenshot, though; in the (very unlikely) event that Sycor reappears later in the mod as a (brutal?) bonus boss*, it'll probably have new matching face pics.
p192775-1-131011511490919701.png

So, some bosses might get face pics, some others, not.

Of course, if someone wants to be kind enough to help with face pics, I won't mind.
Especially since it might get confusing if three people in the same room are talking =o

*Someone suggested having the rematch arena full of death traps and only one platform, forcing one to use the moving "mini-cores" as platforms. If I do decide having that in the mod could work, I would prefer to know the opinions of those who have played this mod first.

alfasketer said:
OK kinda late but here I am.
The tilesets look's great to me. Tower looks kinda technologically advanced but I guess there's a reason for it. Only reservoir can be a little darker and brownish but that's my opinion so yeah. Version 2 darkened backgrounds are better.
Can't wait for version 3 :)
"Some say it was constructed in the future and sent back in time.
Others say it was constructed on another, more advanced planet and teleported to Newerth.
All we know at the moment is, it's called the Tower."

Might work for an NPC explaining the Tower =D

The Reservoir is mostly an icy blue color; though it'll most likely be a brownish color deeper in. (Let's hope I remember that.)

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:21 AM
"Huzzah!"
I think you can change the hitbox by editing the npc table... but it's complicated.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:24 PM
It's finally here - version 3a! You can get it from here!

Old saves are not compatible with the newest one, sadly.

New things include:
  • The ability to turn on 3-HP mode at the very start (you can't turn this off if you decide to play through it in 3-HP mode; this permanently removes all Life Capsules.)
  • Warp Doors in various areas, rather than just the Entrance area
  • More bosses (about eight more bosses than the previous version, for a total of ten)
    Xyz has a new form (that you can battle if you leave him for last instead of just fighting him immediately). The cutscene changes depending on what happened before you battled him (i.e. did you defeat the Reservoir bosses before Xyz? Did you defeat the Tower boss first? etc.)
    Many bosses, on defeat, will remove some force fields on the starting map. This is where you can get items.
    The boss on Servant Quarters P, Alexis, is supposed to be unbeatable, as it's intended to be a cutscene boss. However, if someone were brave enough to defeat her with her 1000 HP, the cutscene ends differently.
  • Various puzzles (which may be annoying so I'll place some info on them here):
    Invisible Boss to Visible Boss puzzle:
    From Tower SQ (east of the Servant Quarters ET area), go one map right (Tower X), then one map down (Tower D). There should be a La-Mulana-esque room with a dais. Interact with it (though the "Newerthian Clock" mechanism breaks until you leave the room and return).
    If it displays a sun, Grialdyn is invisible. If it displays a moon, Grialdyn is visible. By default, the clock displays a sun.

Of course, dialogue changes if you beat Grialdyn if it is invisible. It doesn't, however, change if you beat it while it's invisible AND 3-HP mode is on. Yet.
    The Life Capsules That Cannot Be Obtained Without Flight:
    Contrary to what it says, these Life Capsules can be gained with flight.
    Entrance area: get rid of the star blocks but not the bat nearby; jump into the bat and use knockback to reach it
    Laboratory area: the XP capsules can be stood on, instead of shot at
    Tower X: the death traps in that room are fake.

After you got those three, talk to Eron Armweak (one of the people on the starting map) to get another Life Capsule. If you obtained one of the Life Capsules above while having Valkyrie's Wings, she won't give you that Life Capsule, however.
    The Three Keys:
    In order to reach Servant Quarters DI from Servant Quarters K, you need three keys:
    Lunar Key: open the empty treasure chests in the Reservoir area (where you get the Air-Tank) and the Servant Quarters (one map left of the library, then one map up). These will open up the way to one of the blocked treasure chests in Tower D (with the Newerthian Clock).
    Void Key: defeat Grialdyn and go to Entrance SQ (one map left). Use the shutter and lift to get to the chest. (There won't be Bute attacks if you came from the Servant Quarters area.)
    Bubble Key: defeat Micren in the Reservoir (with or without taking damage); at the top of the Reservoir room after that, is the treasure chest with the Bubble Key.

The keys have symbols on them that are used on the Servant Quarters K terminals - the right ones will have matching symbols.
    Of Arcanum:
    From Servant Quarters K, go to the top-right area, to a new room (Servant Quarters Y). Shoot the statue. Seriously.
  • Two endings (both of them bad, since they result in Newerth's destruction - and while the first is easy to achieve {just go left of the starting point}, the second will rarely be noticed even)
  • Plot spoilers (somewhere)
  • Multiple outfits (two maps left of the Entrance SP room is a door, which contains a room where outfits can be changed)

Maximum HP possible is 60. I might post an updated Life Capsule guide soon, I don't know just yet.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:36 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
FINALLY!!! :D

==EDIT - 20-02-2015==

I played it and... I WANT MORE :)

Some warnings:
  • I was fighting with Grialdyn, but I went from Western Tower, not Entrance. Now this boss is still visible (even when activate "sun" in Tower D). What's the cause?
  • Micren isn't dead when I defeat him. He is still alive. If I go this way, I have to fight with him again.
  • Nice idea with uniforms (I didn't find 2 or 3 of them).
  • My HP is 54/60. I don't know where I have to go to have max.
  • In ItemImage.bmp is the thing looking like cake or sandwich. Is it possible to reach it?
  • It is possible to reach Lunar Weapon?
  • How to open 1 and what's in 2?
    LS1_zpslpm9rmqg.png
  • How to open 1?
    LS2_zpseer1tib7.png
Waiting for newest version :D

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:27 PM
TheChosenOne521 said:
I played it and... I WANT MORE :)
Patience will be required for that; it'll be at least a few weeks before version 4 will be ready.

TheChosenOne521 said:
I was fighting with Grialdyn, but I went from Western Tower, not Entrance. Now this boss is still visible (even when activate "sun" in Tower D). What's the cause?
That sounds like a bug to me; the boss is supposed to be invisible as long as the Newerthian Clock (Tower D) has the sun above it.

TheChosenOne521 said:
Micren isn't dead when I defeat him. He is still alive. If I go this way, I have to fight with him again.
If you beat Micren without taking any damage, you won't have to battle him in the future.
Otherwise, you can have a rematch with him every time.
This is to make it possible to obtain an item that has no use at the moment; I might add a doorway to the areas between Micren's room, if Micren has been beaten once in the next version.

TheChosenOne521 said:
Nice idea with uniforms (I didn't find 2 or 3 of them).
Four of the outfits cannot be unlocked in version 3.
They would be:
- "Dark Armor", which is unlocked at the Top Floor area, defeating the second-last boss. While the map currently exists in the mod (with the boss fight), nothing happens after beating the boss and even then, the map is inaccessible. The outfit is the same as the one of the boss, though. The outfit is also going to be used for one of the bad endings (aside from the two that already exist).
- Kalifa cosplay outfit (One Piece character), which is planned to be unlocked in the Top Floor area.
- Alternate formal outfit, which currently has no known unlock locations
- An entirely unknown outfit, which, aside from having no known unlock method, also doesn't exist yet since there are no sprites at the moment
The obtainable outfits, in version 3, are:
- The normal outfit (unlocked by default, as well as starting outfit)
- The winter outfit (unlocked by default)
- The formal outfit (unlocked by default)
- Gardevoir outfit (starting point; talk to one of the Gardevoir)
- Witch outfit (Laboratory B, beyond various monsters as well as requiring a major jump of ~six tiles far)
- Yumemi Hoshino cosplay outfit (Planetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet) (Reservoir O, in a treasure chest guarded by crabs)
- School uniform (Servant Quarters Y; requires one to shoot the statue a few times)
- "Aqua Armor" (Tower D; requires Grialdyn to be defeated; does not allow one to breathe underwater yet)
- Beach outfit (starting point; inside the treasury; I can't remember what bosses need to be defeated for it)

TheChosenOne521 said:
My HP is 54/60. I don't know where I have to go to have max.
If you have Valkyrie's Wings before you obtain the three "Unobtainable" Life Capsules, you won't be able to go past 54 max HP; Eron Armweak won't give you a +6 Life Capsule unless you obtain the Life Capsules before you get the Wings.
Level 3 Arcanum doesn't count as "flying", apparently, so that can be used.

In any event, here's a castle map with all the Life Capsule locations marked in green:
p192780-0-12002152306061092330.png

All of them are usually in sight, but the starting screen one (at the top) is hidden on the platform directly above the door.
(Time to update the Life Capsule guide, then.)

TheChosenOne521 said:
In ItemImage.bmp is the thing looking like cake or sandwich. Is it possible to reach it?
It is possible to reach Lunar Weapon?
The cake is currently unobtainable, though the sprite exists. Its purpose is unknown, as of now.
As for the Lunar Scythe, it is also impossible to obtain, though it will likely be obtainable in the next version from a new NPC, called Valerie.

TheChosenOne521 said:
How to open 1 and what's in 2?
LS1_zpslpm9rmqg.png
How to open 1?
LS2_zpseer1tib7.png
Those cannot be opened in version 3, and there's nothing behind the star block yet. One of the bosses, Azehr, has to be defeated for the West Tower shutter to open. The other shutter is opened by that area's boss, which cannot be battled at this time.
If you try to cheat in order to get to that treasure chest, all you'll get is a death trap, anyway.

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:31 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Kim Tyranto said:
Patience will be required for that; it'll be at least a few weeks before version 4 will be ready.

That sounds like a bug to me; the boss is supposed to be invisible as long as the Newerthian Clock (Tower D) has the sun above it.

If you beat Micren without taking any damage, you won't have to battle him in the future.
Otherwise, you can have a rematch with him every time.
This is to make it possible to obtain an item that has no use at the moment; I might add a doorway to the areas between Micren's room, if Micren has been beaten once in the next version.

Four of the outfits cannot be unlocked in version 3.
They would be:
- "Dark Armor", which is unlocked at the Top Floor area, defeating the second-last boss. While the map currently exists in the mod (with the boss fight), nothing happens after beating the boss and even then, the map is inaccessible. The outfit is the same as the one of the boss, though. The outfit is also going to be used for one of the bad endings (aside from the two that already exist).
- Kalifa cosplay outfit (One Piece character), which is planned to be unlocked in the Top Floor area.
- Alternate formal outfit, which currently has no known unlock locations
- An entirely unknown outfit, which, aside from having no known unlock method, also doesn't exist yet since there are no sprites at the moment
The obtainable outfits, in version 3, are:
- The normal outfit (unlocked by default, as well as starting outfit)
- The winter outfit (unlocked by default)
- The formal outfit (unlocked by default)
- Gardevoir outfit (starting point; talk to one of the Gardevoir)
- Witch outfit (Laboratory B, beyond various monsters as well as requiring a major jump of ~six tiles far)
- Yumemi Hoshino cosplay outfit (Planetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet) (Reservoir O, in a treasure chest guarded by crabs)
- School uniform (Servant Quarters Y; requires one to shoot the statue a few times)
- "Aqua Armor" (Tower D; requires Grialdyn to be defeated; does not allow one to breathe underwater yet)
- Beach outfit (starting point; inside the treasury; I can't remember what bosses need to be defeated for it)

If you have Valkyrie's Wings before you obtain the three "Unobtainable" Life Capsules, you won't be able to go past 54 max HP; Eron Armweak won't give you a +6 Life Capsule unless you obtain the Life Capsules before you get the Wings.
Level 3 Arcanum doesn't count as "flying", apparently, so that can be used.

In any event, here's a castle map with all the Life Capsule locations marked in green:
p192780-0-12002152306061092330.png

All of them are usually in sight, but the starting screen one (at the top) is hidden on the platform directly above the door.
(Time to update the Life Capsule guide, then.)

The cake is currently unobtainable, though the sprite exists. Its purpose is unknown, as of now.
As for the Lunar Scythe, it is also impossible to obtain, though it will likely be obtainable in the next version from a new NPC, called Valerie.

Those cannot be opened in version 3, and there's nothing behind the star block yet. One of the bosses, Azehr, has to be defeated for the West Tower shutter to open. The other shutter is opened by that area's boss, which cannot be battled at this time.
If you try to cheat in order to get to that treasure chest, all you'll get is a death trap, anyway.
Thank you for directions. :D
And I'm PATIENTLY waiting for next version ;)

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:53 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey, this girl is so cuuute :) but why she has only one eye opened and one hand smaller?
And i have a problem. What i have to do after getting wings?

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:46 PM
Mkbewe said:
Hey, this girl is so cuuute :) but why she has only one eye opened and one hand smaller?
The reason her left eye is closed would border on plot spoilers.
In the words of Serenity's mom:
Valkyrie said:
Not to mention… the Taint... the Tainted who lose the left eye when they turn twelve... The Tainted who regain their left eye when they turn twenty and gain magical powers...
Basically, because of the mysterious "Taint", Serenity lost her left eye (so it's safe to say she's at least twelve or older). I haven't really thought about more information on the Taint yet, though…
As for her hand/arm, she has a glove on her left hand that reaches her elbow, for reasons unknown since version 0.

Mkbewe said:
And i have a problem. What i have to do after getting wings?
Assuming you have beaten all the bosses and obtained all the items, you'd essentially have cleared the demo.
If you skip Xyz until after that, Xyz is supposed to get a second form.

The Xyz cutscene changes depending on events; if you beat Sycor, Valkyrie or Ghost Dragon Sisters before you battle Xyz, the cutscene should change.
The next version will most likely contain the Central Tower and Top Floor areas, and possibly a bonus area after beating the final bosses (unless that's left for version 5?), though I'm currently busy procrastinating figuring out how I broke the statue chamber room in the Top Floor area.

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:49 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've got the ocean key, and i insert to the terminal. what i must do now?

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:20 PM
The Lunar Key unlocks the first force field in Servant Quarters K that prevents one from reaching the Void Terminal.
The Void Key unlocks the second force field in the same area that blocks off the Bubble Terminal.
The Bubble Key unlocks the third force field in the same area, which allows you to progress to Servant Quarters DI from the top-center of the room (way above that blue "pillar" in the room).

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:00 AM
Bumping the thread because of a new release. (That's okay, right?)

So anyway, it's been a while, but Lunar Shadow v4a is finally released!

Things new to this version:
  • An NPC in Entrance SP can tell you about the treasury at the starting area (though she misnames most of the characters related)
  • Even more Warp Doors. However, some have requirements.
  • About seven more bosses: Alexis (Tower Throne), the bonus boss Shiori (Myst Zone), the other bonus boss Cheriza (Sea Zone), the Castle Master (Top Floor Throne), Noxakaisink (or something like that; Top Floor CZ), the annoying Azehr (Tower SE to Tower AT; in other words, most of the Central Tower); Shinica and Luna (Top Floor SL; it's possible to skip it); and Ataraxis (Top Floor SC).
    Not sure if Sycor II could be battled in version 3a, but it can be battled in version 4a, at Tower RR (and the boss theme played can be chosen by terminals).
  • Even more puzzles!
  • Two cakes can be obtained. One restores 25 HP, the other restores 50 HP.
  • The Cure-All can now be used! … but not by Serenity.
  • At least three bad endings (one of them requires an outfit that can be obtained after beating a boss with an "aura"), and a normal ending or two
  • Loads of plot-related stuff
  • Multiple outfits (more than before, at least)
  • More Life Capsules (maximum HP attainable is around 144 or 150?). Including a Golden Life Capsule, but it can't be used by Serenity at all. (Its purpose? Give to an NPC for nothing, at the moment. I might consider adding a reward of some sort.)
  • More Acidic Bubble mana (maximum is around 195? Was supposed to be 200 but oh well.)
  • More Arcanum ammunition (maximum is 50, or, under a very specific condition, infinite)
  • More enemies may appear if certain bosses are defeated
  • Lunar Sickle and Zero's Lament can be obtained. Lunar Sickle is very useful. Zero's Lament… not useful at all.
  • Various bonus areas:
    - Sea Zone, of which only one map can be accessed due to some sort of spell (in-game)
    - Myst Zone, which ends in a boss rush of sorts and is also puzzling. (There are hints to some of those puzzles, though.)
    - Confusion Zone, of which only two maps can be accessed at the moment (and, contrary to its name, is not confusing)
  • An unnamed mermaid from Reservoir reappears later on, though she will upgrade the Crescent Moon in version 5 (provided she has the necessary items)
  • Even more references and such - especially in the final battle, at least if that cutscene isn't skipped and if Ilina isn't there.
  • References to events that took place in January 2013 at that very same castle.
    (Long story short, a guy named Evan O'Neill went there, tried to save his wife, and was killed by the castle master. Also the reason a few areas are completely inaccessible, such as the Grim Path.)
  • Hopefully less sequence breaking
  • More cutscenes and text and such
  • Two more music rooms
  • Probably stuff I forgot about
… that's a lot, probably.

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:01 PM
"Huzzah!"
IT'S A 7Z FILE! I CANNOT OPEN IT! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Could you possibly make it a zip file, please? :heartrefill:

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:22 PM
Zipped it.

Should still be able to play songs and such though =P

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:10 AM
"Huzzah!"
Pretty cool mod you got there. I just have one question.

How were you able to give your character multiple costumes? [Did it require some ASM?]
And how did you change between them? [setting flags or something?]
I'm talking about the MyChar thing.

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:39 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Pretty cool mod you got there. I just have one question.

How were you able to give your character multiple costumes? [Did it require some ASM?]
And how did you change between them? [setting flags or something?]
I'm talking about the MyChar thing.
mimiga mask hack, just look it up