Low Quality Music?

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:50 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I admit it, I made this title proactive on purpose :D My query is this; I finally downloaded the Cave Story OST off the tribute, only to be disappointed to find that it all sounded off. Slightly higher pitched, and less tinny and powerful to be precise. I was looking for examples to show what I meant (comparing OST videos to ingame ones,) only to find that all of the latter sounded different as well.

Perplexed I began to wonder, is their something wrong with my ORG files, or do I just have some older version? Or am I just crazy? (The latter is always a possibility I can't discount.) I tested it out, in game and via the music player and it all has that lower quality, but deeper and more powerful sound, so I decided to humbly request the help of the good people of the tribute site's forums for assistance. Does any one have any idea what I'm talking about, or am I just totally insane? My sincerest apologies if this is extremely basic or old or against a protocol, and thank you in advance for your help! This has been driving me up the well >.<

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:21 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Would you mind telling us what you are using?

I've played cave story first on a decade old computer and then on my brand new one and I heard little difference in sound quality.

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:28 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Cyowolf1122 said:
Would you mind telling us what you are using?

I've played cave story first on a decade old computer and then on my brand new one and I heard little difference in sound quality.

Of course not! It's a relatively new (2 or 3 year old) Dell PC (I'd have to look up the exact model, but it's no where near vintage) Speakers are brand new, but no difference. Could it be a soundcard issue?

And on a wholly unrelated note, if this helps to quantify things more, the music seems richer (although this could very well just be me deluding myself,) but at times harsh to listen too. Always thought that was intentional, but I'm realizing now I may have just been complacently ignorant >.<

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:32 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Ah, well, that answers one question.

True, some do get annoying, but most sound fine, at least, to me.

What exactly do you normally listen to? MP3? WAV? MIDI? ORG?

All of these vary in terms of quality, so if your not used to orgs, the sound could seem poor to your ears.

Have you listened to any of the orgs/remixes made by members?

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:41 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Cyowolf1122 said:
Ah, well, that answers one question.

True, some do get annoying, but most sound fine, at least, to me.

What exactly do you normally listen to? MP3? WAV? MIDI? ORG?

All of these vary in terms of quality, so if your not used to orgs, the sound could seem poor to your ears.

Have you listened to any of the orgs/remixes made by members?

I'm usually an MP3 sort of guy, but as an avid retro gamer/chiptune fan, I'm used to what your referring too :D

Most sound find on my end, but there are specific points (especially in some of the higher pitched songs) where it will sound a bit too harsh, but. I thought Pixel was just going for the retro feel totally, embracing the flaws as well, but once I listened to the OST, I realized that mine are somehow off. It's only really in certain songs (Plantation and Mischievous Robot most notably, if that helps at all) that I can tell a difference (although in those that there is one, it's rather sizable,) so that's how I think it escaped my notice up until now.

And to answer your last question, I'm really only familiar with the Remix Project, so I'd love to hear some more!

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:06 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Sure thing, when converting ORGS / Rerecording them, there is a quality loss.

Sep 24, 2009 at 5:44 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Well, in theory it should be possible to convert an org to another format without quality loss, but I'm not sure anyone has actually done it successfully.