Limit on Max HP?

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:51 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
knuckles5577 said:

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

This was a waste of time. Mods should delete this thread.

thanks for your input, we love being told how to moderate

look, this is just a bad idea. please reconsider your approach.

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Professional Whatever
Weapons only downgrade to the level below the current one if an obscene amount of damage is done in one blow, so it's not reasonable to have high damage and Hp for that reason. If you really want the weapons to downgrade more quickly, change the max level xp to 1 (like the blade in the original).

Also oh my god the hide command is the most useless piece of garbage stop using it

Sep 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
MagicDoors said:
If you really want the weapons to downgrade more quickly, change the max level xp to 1 (like the blade in the original).
So what would lots of XP dropped do then? Nothing. Only eat NPC slots.

On topic:
With some hacking I'm pretty sure you can actually make a weapon drop to level 1 after a hit. Just search in the damage function.

Sep 29, 2013 at 5:12 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I really hate when you talk with absolutes. Especially because this isn't true, and is more of a matter of opinion than anything else. Games with larger HP values allow for more precision in attack and balance values, and 1600 isn't much compared to 1500 because it's less than 10% different, not because of those extra 0's. I'd feel the same way about 16 and 15.

But really this is just your opinion, so don't go spouting it like it's fucking fact.
I should have specified in modding here, but I don't really care to include every politically correct "Maybe" or "in this situation" or "From person to person" because people can figure shit out. Now if you wanna disagree with me then it;s fine, but don't go around getting super hostile about it because I can tell you it doesn't make me want to consider what I say very much since you just got super mad when I tried to offer someone some help.

Sep 29, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Professional Whatever
Kay well honestly when I read your post matt and read "always" I figured that you meant "always", not "sometimes". I would have fully believed that you should never use large numbers in any situation. I agree with gir about that, but I don't think gir should be yelling at matt for giving his feedback.

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
Now if you wanna disagree with me then it;s fine, but don't go around getting super hostile about it because I can tell you it doesn't make me want to consider what I say very much since you just got super mad when I tried to offer someone some help.
It's fine to try and offer someone help, it's just annoying when you spout lines that make you sound like a Fundamentalist of the Church of Game Development Theory.

Helping people or not, you shouldn't go throwing around your opinions as facts, especially for such broad/general situations (ie. "always) because it's really annoying to read and just makes you sound full of yourself.

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:12 AM
I don't anymore.
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
It's fine to try and offer someone help, it's just annoying when you spout lines that make you sound like a Fundamentalist of the Church of Game Development Theory.

Helping people or not, you shouldn't go throwing around your opinions as facts, especially for such broad/general situations (ie. "always) because it's really annoying to read and just makes you sound full of yourself.
Well I'll watch that from now on but I'd prefer if you didn't go explode at me.

Sep 30, 2013 at 4:48 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Randolf said:
So what would lots of XP dropped do then? Nothing. Only eat NPC slots.

On topic:
With some hacking I'm pretty sure you can actually make a weapon drop to level 1 after a hit. Just search in the damage function.
I cannot does assembly.

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Samario said:
I cannot does assembly.
3 solutions then:
- learn assembly and try to do what Randolf suggested.
- learn assembly and heavily modify an astronomically huge portion of the code to be able to edit the max hp without it breaking everything ever.
- maybe something else (that will require asembly anyway)???

If you cannot learn assembly either, you still have one solution:
- give up and find another idea for your mod.

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Obvious alternatives:

> Keep max HP around 99
> Reduce all weapon exp requirements to a low value
> Make exp only drop in single pieces, or very rarely
> Buy and read a book concerning game concept and design

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM
I don't anymore.
Mhm, I've actually done some reading around and heres are a few associations when its okay to have super high hp. This is in no way all of them, but the idea should get across.

When the player has lots of defense attributes, when you have 30% fire protection and 60% pierce protection you need high health numbers to get a precise damage amount.

The player needs to slowly lose health, ever play metroid prime 2? If the health units were 5 each, and you slowly lost hp, at the same ratio that you would normally lose it when in a toxic enviornment, then it would not be as tense. Because losing 1 health outa 5 in 2 seconds feels different than losing 20 outta 100. Another way to justify that is of health is that they have constant situations where they subtract 1 health unit at a time.

In cave story you usually just get hit and then lose a chunk of your maximum hp. There is typically no need to get into more finite detail. You could just multiply everything by 2; damage, Max health, exp gain, etc... But then it would be exactly the same, just with bigger numbers. A rule I typically follow is if it doesn't serve a purpose for the game, then don't include it.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
The title of this thread involves Max hp possible, so I wanted to share something else which I found. When you use a trainer to get 255 health and then save, you still have 255. And after that if you play normally with 255hp (no trainer) and get a life capsule, you ca still have more than 255hp. But if you get more than 255hp and then take any damage, your maximum health will be set to 232. This seems to be the safe health limit without assembly hacking, but shouldn't it be 255?